UKC

Sleeping Bags, alternative to Alpkit Pipedream 800

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hey all,
I really like the look of the Pipedream 800 but Alpkit aren't due a delivery until November What alternative lightweight, compact 4 season bags are out there? I've had a google of it and it seems anything similar in spec is extortionate.
 TobyA 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Double Knee Bar: In their product categories, Alpkit products normally are the best value for money you can find because their business model misses a normal link in the chain - retailers. So you may well be unlikely to find a similar bag for a similar price.

This makes Alpkit great, but the downside is they seems to have problems knowing what amounts to order (I guess a 'normal' manufacturer would manufacture set amounts based on forward orders from shops?) and hence there are many products on their website that they are not actually selling currently. There have been a couple of things that I have wanted to buy recently, but I've had the same experience as you - finding they are not in stock and Alpkit aren't always sure when they will come back into stock. The product is there on the website, but you just can't have one! That's a bit annoying - I wonder about the logic of having lots of products on the site that you can't actually buy.

I was reading up on sleeping bag testing for the S2S and Marmot bags I was testing this winter/spring for UKC ( http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3747; http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3605) and it is interesting how many brands are now using the EN 13537 standard. I hope Alpkit might also in the future, just because it would make it easier to compare their bags with other bigger firms. They use a British standard that might well be great, but unfortunately it makes comparing a bit harder.
 nniff 14 Jun 2011
In reply to Double Knee Bar:

having been round this particular buoy several times over the past few weeks, I've just about decided on a Tundra bag (just a 'Pure' one instead of 'Pure & Dry'. Seem better value for money than most....
 Timmd 14 Jun 2011

I've seen Mountain Equipment Classic 750 bags online for 180 pounds if that's any help?
Thanks people, Is the classic ME more capable bag than the pipedream 600 that alpkit have in stock? I'm still at a bit of a loss. I need light, small whilst 4 season sleeping bag.
 Andy Mott 15 Jun 2011
I use PHD, and am surprised nobody's beaten me to this... Have a look here:
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/sleepingbags.php?cat=26

In particular the Minim 600 and Hispar 500. They're expensive for sure, but warm and light and made very well.
 tasmat 15 Jun 2011
In reply to Timmd: Is the Mountain Equipment Classic 750 bag any good?
 blurty 15 Jun 2011

Magic Mountain in Glossop was always a good bet for Mountain Equipment 2nds

I've heard it's recently shut, but that ME have periodic 'factory sales' Might be worth investigationg if you're midlands based.
 Timmd 16 Jun 2011
In reply to tasmat:
> (In reply to Timmd) Is the Mountain Equipment Classic 750 bag any good?

I don't think any Mountain Equipment bags quality wise are bad bags to be honest with you, I don't know how thier temp ratings compare to Rab or PHD though, if they're not as warm for thier stated rating or not. I have a feeling Rab might be warmer for thier rating, but that wouldn't mean Mountain Equipment are cold for thiers, if that makes sense?

Cheers
Tim
 PeterM 16 Jun 2011
In reply to tasmat:
> (In reply to Timmd) Is the Mountain Equipment Classic 750 bag any good?

I've got the ME Classic Dragon 750 (-12' comfort I think) great bag. Warm and compact.
 TobyA 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Timmd:

> I don't know how thier temp ratings compare to Rab or PHD though, if they're not as warm for thier stated rating or not. I have a feeling Rab might be warmer for thier rating, but that wouldn't mean Mountain Equipment are cold for thiers, if that makes sense?

RAB, Mountain Equipment and Marmot that I know of are using the European Norm that I mention earlier (EN something). Therefore the temp ranges are directly comparable. That was my point about Alpkit using a different testing norm.

Timmd 16 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

I see, interesting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...