UKC

Rules for making good coffee

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 16 Jun 2011

Grind your own beans and go for a fine grind.
Choose beans from S. America.
Pick strength grade 5 (out of 5).
Use a heaped desert spoon per cup.
If you use a cafatier (sp?) NEVER use boiling water - just off the boil is best.
Black or white is irrelevant but it must be sweet.
The second cup will never be as good as the first
 Jim Fraser 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User:
>
> Grind your own beans and go for a fine grind.
Desirable.

> Choose beans from S. America.
If you have swallowed all the American marketing bullsh1t.

> Pick strength grade 5 (out of 5).
Some things can be overdone. Lot's of good 3 and 4 out there.

> Use a heaped desert spoon per cup.
OK.

> If you use a cafatier (sp?) NEVER use boiling water - just off the boil is best.
As important with a cafetiere is do not stir, allow to soak undisturbed for a couple of minutes, then plunge with a nice steady action that allows the coffee 'plug' to remain intact.

> Black or white is irrelevant but it must be sweet.
I sense some American influence again. Sweet? Maybe you don't really like coffee after all.

> The second cup will never be as good as the first
Often true.

ice.solo 16 Jun 2011
>
a given

one of several possibilities.

my machine goes up to 6

agreed

> If you use a cafatier (sp?) NEVER use boiling water - just off the boil is best.
agreed. can bitter up the taste and damage the creama. most undesirable

now thats where i disagree. tho attractive and not without its place, i find the sugar buzz distracting from the coffee as the short high followed by the slump detracts from what can be quite an even-keeled stimulant.
but each to their own.

undoubtably (unlike good tea).

i do feel two essentials have been left out:
1 x old maltese or turkish women to make it.
1 x young maltese or turkish women to serve it.

the sound of camels being saddled in the pre-dawn, or the smell of kurdish tobacco doesnt hurt either.

Kemics 16 Jun 2011

Open single use instant coffee packet
put in cup
add boiling water
add 3 sugars

You PONCE!

ben b 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User: Grind your own, don't keep the beans in the fridge.
Try lots and see what you like. Make the effort to get FairTrade if possible - still screwing the producers but just not quite so badly.
Use a decent machine with enough pressure. Look after the machine. If you can't get an espresso machine, an aero-press will be consistently much better than any cafetiere for no more expense.
Don't live anywhere were they can make good coffee, eg NZ for a while and then attempt to enjoy coffee in the UK. It's still, mostly, rubbish
b
ice.solo 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> Open single use instant coffee packet
> put in cup
> add boiling water
> add 3 sugars

an ungodly, heathen act.

but at hour 27 at -15 and 4500m, acceptable
 Kemics 16 Jun 2011
In reply to ice.solo:

That's the problem with coffee, like women. You can't downgrade.

Once you've had a truly spectacular cup of coffee you'll chase that dragon with the precision of an alchemist and the fervor of the most hooked heroin addict.

I'm just now learning about how the grind coarseness combined with varying the time can achieve very different flavours. Like how to get a correct espresso flavour, not just a very strong small cup of coffee.
 stonemaster 16 Jun 2011
>
> Not too fine

> Indonesian , Afican or even Papua New Guinean

> Depends on your altitude

> Agree with that....
ice.solo 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Kemics:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> That's the problem with coffee, like women. You can't downgrade.
>
> Once you've had a truly spectacular cup of coffee you'll chase that dragon with the precision of an alchemist and the fervor of the most hooked heroin addict.
>
> I'm just now learning about how the grind coarseness combined with varying the time can achieve very different flavours. Like how to get a correct espresso flavour, not just a very strong small cup of coffee.

i find no argument in any of that.
your second paragraph there is most quotable.
ice.solo 16 Jun 2011
In reply to stonemaster:

If you use a cafatier (sp?) NEVER use boiling water - just off the boil is best.
> Depends on your altitude

good call.
 vark 16 Jun 2011
Coffee has two ingredients, beans and water.

Any deviation from this, especially if flavoured syrups are involved and the drink served in an oversize paper cup, should result in the offender being beaten to death with their own manbag.
 stonemaster 16 Jun 2011
In reply to vark: or even a shitty stick, after it's been used for poo hockey....
ice.solo 16 Jun 2011
In reply to vark & stonemaster:

now now gentlemen, lets not get carried away, its only yemeni goat beans in a cup with water.

just kidding - death it is!!
 dror 16 Jun 2011

kinda like girlfriends, redpoint attempts, or trips to India.
 CurlyStevo 16 Jun 2011
coffee is a bitter drink best enjoyed that way.

Strength 5/5 beans are not the strength of the caffine in the beans they are the darkness of the roast. Very good quality beans are often spoilt by over roasting them as you can not distiguish the flavour properly. I prefer 3/5.

Getting very high quality beans is also worthwhile try http://www.hasbean.co.uk/

Using a fine grind for a cafetiere also spoils the flavour the drink will end up too bitter, a medium grind is best - perhaps this is why you need sugar ;P

Finally use a burr grinder if you don't already makes all the difference.
 LastBoyScout 16 Jun 2011

Leave that muck in the shops and get some decent tea
Removed User 16 Jun 2011

For God's sake WARM THE CUPS!
 Dave 88 16 Jun 2011

If you're having milk, that should be the first thing in the cup, followed by sugar, then the coffee.

...right I'm off to make one.
 stonemaster 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Dave 88: Only if it's the correct temperature...
 Tamati 16 Jun 2011

> (In reply to Removed User)
> coffee is a bitter drink best enjoyed that way.
>

Second.

In addition, surely the best method of extraction is espresso?
 Ramblin dave 16 Jun 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> coffee is a bitter drink best enjoyed that way.

Agreed, if you have to load it with milk and sugar you should probably just admit that you don't like coffee.
 Milesy 16 Jun 2011
Sugar in coffee is the same as sugar in tea. If you need sugar then you like the taste of sweetness, not the taste of coffee or tea.
Tim Chappell 16 Jun 2011

>
> If you're having milk, that should be the first thing in the cup, followed by sugar, then the coffee.

No no no no no noooo!
Coffee first. THEN milk.

My coffee is better than Italians'. Fact. I was in Naples recently, and I enjoyed the little harsh espressi and the long mild latti, sure. But what I really wanted was a cafetiere full of my own wicked black pungent brew. I was hankering for it in Italy. The way it perfumes the whole house, all morning...

As someone said above, once you've got coffee right, you can't bear to half-arse it any more, ever, under any circumstances. This can be an inconvenience at altitude.

To those who don't keep their beans in the fridge: so where do you keep them? Wherever it is, I trust you keep them air tight till ground. And none of that pre-grinding-- ground coffee goes stale within minutes, you know. Whizz it up and get the water on it quick.
Mots d'Invers 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Kemics:
>
> Open single use instant coffee packet
> put in cup
> add boiling water
> add 3 sugars
>
> You PONCE!

*grins*
 Conf#2 16 Jun 2011

1 easy rule;

Get friend to bring coffee round and make it for you.
 CurlyStevo 16 Jun 2011
only UK people keep coffee in the fridge. Relative humidity increases as temperature drops and its inevitable you end up with coffee not keeping as well (as condensation will form to some extent inside the container).

Best to get fresh roasted beans and use within 1-2 weeks keeping them in an air tight container.

I really don't think it makes the blind bit of difference if you put milk first or last and I'd challenge anyone to have someone make two cups both ways and test them to see if the difference can be told!
Warm up the Espresso Machine.
Grind the Beans with a good quality burr ginder (I recommend www.beanshop.co.uk)
Pull a blind shot to warmt he portafilter.
Fill the portafilter with coffee, give it a tamp form the side to settle the coffee, then tamp the ocffee into the filter. (this takes trial and error)
Instert the portafilter.
Pull the espresso. 17 to 30 secs for a double espresso depending on your machine.
Drink in no more than 3 mouthfulls.
Savour the flavour.
Clean the machine.

WINNING!
Jimbo W 16 Jun 2011

There was a good program about this on radio scotland, which has unfortunately expired now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wnq0l

The attractiveness of coffee is surely in the bitter flavours... ...why would you add sugar? That's denying the drink its true character...
 campag 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Ramblin dave:

http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/Coffee

These guys are the masters of coffee.

their best coffee is served black unsweetened and filtered. They have an interesting technique tough of pouring just a little (just off) boiled water over the freshly ground coffee (to fluff up the granules) before putting enough through to fill just one cup at a time using one of these. Divine.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxful...

winhill 16 Jun 2011
>
> If you use a cafatier (sp?)

Chuck the coffee away and start over.
 nickprior 16 Jun 2011
Clearly there's only one way to make coffee - instructions attached ....
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/09/how-to-brew-a-good-c.html
 Dave 88 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:
>
> No no no no no noooo!
> Coffee first. THEN milk.
>
I respectfully disagree Sir!

ice.solo 16 Jun 2011

theres a northern italian version using butter instead of milk.

you wont go back to milk.
 Oujmik 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User: So, what's the feeling on stove-top espresso makers? I think they are superior to cafetieres, but with either device I'm still some way from coffee nirvana; just can't seem to get that thick, richness that you get in a 'proper' coffee.
Tim Chappell 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Dave 88:

Each to his own. There's a clear taste (and so presumably chemical) difference between the two alternatives, though. As there is with tea, where I think the milk SHOULD come first.
 Reach>Talent 16 Jun 2011
Come the revolution people who add milk or sugar to coffee will be first up against the wall. If it isn't blacker than a night time photo of a panther taken with the lens cap on then it isn't worth drinking.
 Glen 16 Jun 2011
>

So, so wrong.

p.s. anyone who uses the word 'creama' needs punching in the knackers.

CurlyStevo 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Tim Chappell:
Really? I can see there would be with instant but fail to see the logic for fresh, certainly not something I've ever noticed. The quality of the beans and grind are much more important imo
 Glen 16 Jun 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
>
> I really don't think it makes the blind bit of difference if you put milk first or last and I'd challenge anyone to have someone make two cups both ways and test them to see if the difference can be told!

Did you know this is actually the inspiration behind the development of a particular statistical test (although with tea):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher%27s_exact_test

Lemony 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User: Aeropress or Chemex. Standard Ratios. Win.
Frogger 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Glen:
> p.s. anyone who uses the word 'creama' needs punching in the knackers.

You obviously don't have a pressured coffee maker....

http://www.coffee-makers-cafe.com/crema-extraction.html

As above, once you've experienced it, there's no downgrading

CurlyStevo 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Glen:
But with coffee the water shouldn't be boiling before you add it to the grounds and then you leave it for 2-3 mins to 'brew', so far less chance of actually scalding the milk like you can in tea.

Incidentally I don't like the taste of boiled milk much so in theory should prefer adding the milk first, in practice I just don't taste the difference.
 Siward 16 Jun 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: So what's wrong with keeping my pre-ground coffee in an airtight container in the freezer, which is what I've done for ages?

Personally, tea is where it's at, but I'm more than happy with my cafetiere coffee made with above.

Is that a no no?
 mariechen 16 Jun 2011
In reply to telemark:

Ha ha, very good!
 stonemaster 16 Jun 2011
In reply to Oujmik: On the odd occasion, one has been known to produce a drinkable cup of java with a stop top...
 Siward 16 Jun 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo: Seems like there's quite a bit more to it:

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffee-in-freezer.html

I think I will have to start some blind tasting...
 Bulls Crack 16 Jun 2011
>

Now that is personal taste - I have a bit of sugar in esspresso/Turkish but not in any other form
 ben b 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Lemony: Agree. Still aeropress. Amazing how much better it tastes that way...
b
 stonemaster 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User: Interesting to note no one had mentioned using a cezve
 Henry Iddon 17 Jun 2011
In reply to campag:

Yup I always drop by Monmouth when in London.

Atkinson in Lancaster are up there with them -

http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/

With their own cafe across the road - http://themusicroomcafe.com/coffee.html
 icnoble 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> (In reply to campag)
>
> Yup I always drop by Monmouth when in London.
>
> Atkinson in Lancaster are up there with them -
>
> http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/
>
> With their own cafe across the road - http://themusicroomcafe.com/coffee.html

I aggree with you that Atkinsons are up there with the best but I made a recent discovery. I have never found a decent supermarket own label coffee bean that comes near, (Not even EH booths) until now. My favorite bean from Atkinsons is Monsooned Malabar. I recently discovered that Waitrose do these beans as well so I bought a couple of packets. In my opinion they are as good as Atkinsons and only £13 a kilo. Can't wait for Waitrose to open in preston.

nickprior 17 Jun 2011
In reply to icnoble: Now we're talking - Monsooned Malabar...mmmm! I get mine from the CoffeeBeanShop.co.uk, but not as often as I'd like cos it ain't cheap! But as a treat for some freshly roasted and ground coffee can't be beat.
 Sam Mayfield 17 Jun 2011
I am about to get a real coffee machine for Orange House and I have to go on a course to learn how to use it and take out a mortgage to buy it!

:0)

If there were sufficient time...but treating bought pre-ground coffee with a little due care and attention helps.

To each their own. Java for me, or Cuban Peabody.

4 or 5; never lower.

Depends how big your cups are; just one spoon per cup would produce dishwater for my cups and my taste. Two heaped dessert spoons per cup please.

Agreed; just, but not too far.

White coffee? Pah. You'll be telling me that it's Ok to have sugar in it next...ah, you did. Black only or you get a coffee-flavoured milky drink, not coffee. Sugar allowed only after a particularly good dinner.

Yes, but more is more...

T.

Clarence 17 Jun 2011

All this "real coffee" bollocks is the reason why I drink tea.

Although I like a cup of Camp Coffee made with Fussells condensed milk and extra sugar...
 Ashley 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Henry Iddon:
> (In reply to campag)

> Atkinson in Lancaster are up there with them -
>
> http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/
>
> With their own cafe across the road - http://themusicroomcafe.com/coffee.html

Agreed - had a cracking espresso there last time I went up to Lancaster.
In reply to Ashley: Top shop, that one. Worth dropping into Lancaster for.

T.
 icnoble 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Sam Mayfield:
> I am about to get a real coffee machine for Orange House and I have to go on a course to learn how to use it and take out a mortgage to buy it!
>
> :0)

It is definitely worth getting some sort of training. Also you will need to spend a fair bit on a decent grinder. This is my set up I use at home

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/coffeemachines/izzo-alex-pid-coffee-machine-r...

http://www.bellabarista.co.uk/coffeegrinders/proddetail.asp?prod=46

stewieatb 18 Jun 2011
In reply to Pursued by a bear:
> (In reply to Ashley) Top shop, that one. Worth dropping into Lancaster for.
>
> T.

I live in Lancaster and The Music Room is its best-kept secret, hidden away up back alleys from either side. Sadly proper coffee makes my brain all fuzzy so I don't go in there all that often.
 Sam Mayfield 18 Jun 2011
In reply to icnoble:

The machine I am getting has built in grinder and comes with training.
Cant wait to get started when the season opens again, will fill the house with a great smell to wake up to!

Sam Orange
 dan ely 18 Jun 2011
In reply to Sam Mayfield:
looking forward to that sam. That will make us work and climb faster too
 icnoble 18 Jun 2011
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Next time I am over, which will be a while I will join you for an espresso!!
 stonemaster 18 Jun 2011
In reply to Sam Mayfield: Ahh, but is it one of those that cleans itself as well?...
 _MJC_ 18 Jun 2011
In reply to ice.solo: '> Black or white is irrelevant but it must be sweet.
now thats where i disagree. tho attractive and not without its place, i find the sugar buzz distracting from the coffee as the short high followed by the slump detracts from what can be quite an even-keeled stimulant.
but each to their own.'

I always assumed that caffiene just had that effect in general, as i have pretty much never drank coffee without sugar. I should try it without sugar.
 anonymouse 18 Jun 2011

Walk up to machine.
Press 2
Press 8
Wait
Take plastic cup
Drink
 Jim Fraser 19 Jun 2011
In reply to _MJC_:

Caffeine is a 'fight or flight' stimulant. Only glucose fuels the brain.
Removed User 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User: surprised no one seems yet to have mentioned the only beans worth using for a truly religious experience-Jamacan Blue Mountain. End Of. Case closed. Your witness.
 victorclimber 19 Jun 2011
In reply to Clarence: quite agree with you mate ,get a life springs to mind
 Sam Mayfield 19 Jun 2011
In reply to stonemaster:

Hmmm I dont think so ;0P

I must say I am looking forward to choosing which type of coffee we use, I am guessing we get to taste a fair few to help decide!

Sam
 Angusthewestie 19 Jun 2011
I am a convert to Nespresso ... manual version of Magimix (also the cheapest) allows coffee to be made to taste. Fantastic tasting coffee every time - I even saw them used in Italy! Coffee is quite dear but significantly less so than Costa, etc - I love it!

BTW, Booths in Keswick have some interesting "house" bean selections that you can grind in store - really liked the last one I tried.
 anonymouse 19 Jun 2011
In reply to anonymouse:
> Walk up to machine.
> Press 2
> Press 8
> Wait
> Take plastic cup
> Drink

Some will press 1 then press 8, or, worse 1 then 9. They are heathens and the machine ought to spray the boiling brown pish they so foolishly ordered directly onto their crotches.

Others are sick enought to use a porcelain or ceramic mug. People - that's what they make toilets out of. Hello!? Plastic's where it's at baby.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...