UKC

Scotland midges in July

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 17 Jun 2011
Anyone any idea what the midges are going to be like in Scotland early July?
 rallymania 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Frankie boy:

same as they always are, small and will eat you to death

HTH's

seriously though, depends on the weather and where in scotland you go. there's none in my flat for example
ccmm 17 Jun 2011
 JohnnyW 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Frankie boy:

The wee b*****s were out in force in my garden last night once the wind dropped!

Breezy, bright day - No issue
Still, overcast day - Hell on Earth
We were climbing in still overcast conditions at the Anvil last weekend (perfect midge weather) and they weren't too bad.

Although, that might have been due to the midge nets, long sleeve T-s, trousers tucked in socks, t-shirt tucked in boxers and liberal quantities of DEET!

Come prepared.
ccmm 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Craig Mc:

I should add beware of ticks. They're worse than the midges this year from accounts that I have. Three folk I know have been diagnosed or are displaying the symptoms of Lyme disease.

Tuck your socks in and avoid the bracken.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Craig Mc:
I got a tick on my knee last month, I was wearing boots, long socks, long trousers, gaiters, and waterproofs over the top (it was one of those days) and yet the b'stard still got in.
Yet somehow last weekend I only got 3 despite wearing fell shoes, short socks, and shorts, and descending deer tracks through deep heather.
My partner of course got none at all on either occasion.
 BruceM 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Toreador:
That's interesting about the ticks this year. Because I always attract them, and over summer usually end up with an average of about 3 embedded per week (not good). But this year, I only had a spate back in April and since then have had none. I was hoping it was going to be a low year for them. My woman has never had a single tick in her life travelling the same ground as me.
 pog100 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Toreador:
I got 10 at the same event, not for the first time! really tiny ones and removed early so I hope I'm fine, like all the other times. If it wen't for Lymes it wouldn't bother me that much.
OP as others say, depends in weather and position but I have never and well never let them put me off visiting some of the best places in the world
In reply to BruceM: It's strange eh! My mate removed one from his bell end(medical term) last week! He got 18 after a visit to Weem crag! 2o on a trip to the north west! His kids get them too. On the same trips i might get one or two but usually none. Aberfeldy area is particularly bad and i saw some data last year that suggested there was a higher incidence of Lyme disease in that neck of the woods too.
 Rog Wilko 17 Jun 2011
In reply to Frankie boy: Sorry, dropped my crystal ball yesterday.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...