Biking forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Mountain bike guide to Sardinia

Peter Herold - on 18 Jun 2011
Sardinia is bigger than Wales and has higher mountains, and I and two colleagues are just finishing documenting for Italy’s main mountain sports publisher Versante Sud 70-odd mountain bike routes in central and southern Sardinia (where the mountains are, BTW) with a mix of XC and technical “Alpine” singletrack, often by the Mediterranean’s best coast. The guide, one of a series which includes Ticino, Valle d’Aosta and Lecco and Bergamo (all in Alps) will be published around Xmas 2011 IN ITALIAN.

I am trying to work out whether there’s a market for an ENGLISH translation.

Many people (including Italians) know Sardinia only for its beaches. The two riders from N Italy who I took to Punta La Marmora, the island’s highest point 1834 m on Sunday exclaimed, “Wow, it’s just like the Dolomites here!” while Roland, an award-winning Dutch journalist who we took on the first stage of the 6-day Rally di Sardegna mountainbike,
said, “This place is the next Majorca, they just need to develop the infrastructure”.

Northern Italian riders are starting to discover Sardinia. I had a photo published in June’s MB Action Italian edition and the text says, “Sardinia has a thriving MTB scene which’ll soon be revealed to the world with the publication of new guides. This photo is a first taste of the mountains which rise to over 1000 m within 20 km of the coast and where you can ride in winter! [The weather conditions in N Italy are not too different from those in UK]. In the photo Davide rides the muletrack of the Codula Sa Mela Urzulei Supramonte. Photo Peter www.mountainbikeogliastra.it “

The last guide to mountain bike in Sardinia was published 20 years ago, so another is well-over due.

Do people think there’d be a market for an English translation? Would they be interested in coming to a relatively/very (compared to southern Spain, no fish & chips here…) undeveloped destination where they can combine XC and AM riding on natural trails with a beach holiday?

I don’t decide, it’s up to the published, but your comments would be welcome.

Thanks Peter
... not showing 6 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums