UKC

sleeping bags, Mont Blanc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Aiezsedai 22 Jun 2011
Could you give me a link to a sleeping bag which will allow me to sleep outseide the hut while climbing Mont Blanc and atthe same time is light enough for me to carry?
Henry Andrew 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Aiezsedai: You dont need a bag, a liner will do. You got perfect answers on your first thread
 brianblock 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Henry Andrew:
> (In reply to Aiezsedai) You dont need a bag, a liner will do. You got perfect answers on your first thread

just a liner to sleep in outside a hut? the man will freeze :/
Henry Andrew 22 Jun 2011
In reply to brianblock:
Misread :S Go in the hut and stay on the floor much warmer
 GrahamD 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Aiezsedai:

Pretty much any 3 season bag will be fine if you are in a bivvy bag and keep your clothes on.
 stevev 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Aiezsedai: but paying to sleep on the floor is cheaper than the cost of a bag
 Camdenelectric 22 Jun 2011
In reply to Aiezsedai:
Not again...
 stratfol 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Aiezsedai:

What's your budget? Sleeping bag prices are determined by two things: warmth ratings and weight/bulk. Good quality down bags will be roughly twice the cost of synthetics for a given temperature, but will average half the weight and bulk.

Example: Mammut Nordic 3 season, synthetic, comfort temperature -3C, 1250g, retails at my store (yes I'm a gear nerd, working in outdoor retail last 4 years) for €100. Good if you're on a budget but a lot of extra weight to carry up MB. Rab Neutrino 400, 800+ fill down, comfort 0C, 830g, €300. Much lighter and half the pack size, you get the idea.

I've been using Rab down bags for the last few seasons in the Alps and they are definitely the shit when it comes to down, but you need lots of $$$ (or a trade discount :P )

There's loads of advice on sleeping bags on the web without having to deal with annoying tangental forum discussion, I suggest you do your own research.

Another note, down does not deal well with moisture. If it gets wet, it becomes heavy and loses all insulation value. A big pro for synthetics if you don't mind the extra weight. A down bag needs to be paired with a good bivy sack. Basically if you have the money go for a good down bag and bivi combo, otherwise get synthetics and deal with the weight.

Both options however are a lot more expensive than a few nights in a hut.

If you're feeling particularly manly then I'd recommend getting two partners, splitting the weight of a tent/stove and climbing from the valley :P
In reply to stratfol: Get acclimatised, and go from a campsite on the col midi. the weight of your tent and sleeping bag doesn't matter so much when its only 250m downhill from the cable car! my first trip to the alps was with an old synthetic sleeping bag that i'd had since i was 8, and a fleece liner. The combination weighed a far bit, but had only cost me £20 for the liner. Consider taking 2 roll matts if concerned about the cold, again much cheaper than a new bag. As has been mentioned, wear your clothes. You can take thermal legging for sleeping in, as long as you're prepared to then change in the morning. You'll be up at midnight for the route anyway, so in many respects, the night won't have had a chance to get cold yet. By the time 5am comes, you should be sweating it around about the col brenva. Try using your current kit and learn its limitations before spending money.
In reply to cannichoutdoors: oh, and if you're camping, you get to leave your gear in the tent, so again the weight isn't an issue, as you're not carrying it too far (although back up to the midi cable car always hurts after a big route!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...