UKC

RIP spanner wall spanner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Steeve 23 Jun 2011
very sad news regarding the spanner on spanner wall;

I'm very sad to inform you all that after a clean onsight, while abbing for the gear, the spanner came off in my hand.

the spanner is now in safe hands at the cross keys, where we asked them to mount it on the wall, they seemed to agree, and so hopefully it will be up soon.

Im just glad I (or anyone else) didnt fall on it in its final state, there was very little holding it on.

as I recall there's not enough stump left to thread, so I reckon without the spanner, spanner wall will go at around E4 5c.

liz j 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve:
Can you not use the now redundant spanner to bolt the flake back onto Parthian Shot?
In reply to Steeve: Boo! Sad news, good work on getting it kept though. Kind of glad I backed off before the runout a couple of months back now!
Martin Kocsis, BMC 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: Sad news indeed,and I weep for its (inevitable) demise but it was always only 5b. Let's agree at E3 5b ** shall we? It was also always one of those routes from which one "Must not fall" like in the good old days...

Rob Davies 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: I'm not sure that a pub can be trusted to look after such a precious artefact. Clearly the BMC need to set up a Museum of Climbing Memorabilia to preserve our heritage.
Removed User 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve:

You b@stard. This was on the summer list...

Anyway, more to the point:

1) Surely the Church is the one true post Pits pub?

2) Can't we drill it out the stump and retrofit the spanner? Oldham MRT could then practise off it...
 cfer 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: What is the history of the spanner? How did it get there, how long has it been in situ
 ste_d 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve:

deepest condolences and sympathies to any brother pieces of rusting ironmongery everywhere
 capcolliedog 23 Jun 2011
All of us here at Mountainfeet in Oldham have had two minutes silence for the demise of this legendary artifact we all knew and loved. Hats off to Steve though for handling the remains with respect and dignity!
 Calvi 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve:
This is devastating news, another old friend has passed away. Life must somehow continue. RIP (Rust In Peat)
 Glen 23 Jun 2011
In reply to caseyfather:
> (In reply to Steeve) What is the history of the spanner? How did it get there, how long has it been in situ

+1
Also, who needs such a massive spanner in the first place?
 FreshSlate 23 Jun 2011
I'll give you 50 quid for the spanner :P.
 cfer 23 Jun 2011
In reply to BPT@work: I saw them but on both are the questions I asked, how did it get there and how long ago.

craig h 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Removed User:

A very sad day; the demise of one of the most unique bits of in-situ gear on any crag in the UK. It has been getting thinner for many a year, I wonder how much it would cost to get a portable welding set up there?

As to its final resting place; the Cross Keys has had far more to do with the local climbers over the years than the Church Inn, and think the Keys would make a fitting place to be laid to rest?

A better soloution would be to weigh it in at the local scrap yard and have a decent wake - how much is carbon steel a ton these days?

Another image of the spanner enjoying life at the crag http://www.flickr.com/photos/21913923@N03/2197649212/in/set-721576059328075...
 cfer 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: So come on, who has fallen onto this?
BPT@work 23 Jun 2011
In reply to caseyfather:

Sorry, you are perfectly correct, I answered neither question Prompted by your questions I've tried to find the answers and cannot. The best I can offer you is this:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/831584

HTH
 cfer 23 Jun 2011
In reply to BPT@work: Thats ok, I have been googling all afternoon as well but cannot find any information
 craig h 23 Jun 2011
In reply to caseyfather:

Having intimately known and caressed this huge tool on a number of occasions over the years all I can say is it’s not a true spanner (I did the Crocodile Dundee test Its once long, girthy shaft is deeply embedded and leaded into the crag. I’d say it was a prop or support for some of the long gone workings in the quarry.
Alan Holden 23 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: I did the climb a couple of months ago the spanner was very loose then. I think the Cross keys is a good resting place for the spanner, i shall pay it a visit some time soon.
In reply to caseyfather:
> (In reply to Steeve) So come on, who has fallen onto this?

About 15 years ago I took a rotton fall near the top of the wall and came down facing out from the crag and head first. Can vividly remember the ground fast approaching and stopping about a foot off the deck. Still makes me shudder to imagine my head getting shoved down my body had I gone a a few inches further!!

I always had a soft spot for the Spanner. RIP XX

Removed User 23 Jun 2011
In reply to craig h:

Fair play. I shall visit the Cross Keys and pay my respects to the spanner. I may even lark's foot a sling around it in mourning for my never was ascent. Or should that be clove hitch. Oh God.
OP Steeve 24 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve:
I dont quite understand how this hasnt ended up on the homepage as major news....
 Mick Ward 24 Jun 2011
In reply to Kipper-Phil Smith:

Hi Phil,

How's it going? Long time, no see.

I too had a soft spot for the Spanner. T'was a wondrous creation - seemed to symbolise our industrial history.

All best wishes,

Mick
In reply to Removed User: I shall join you on your pilgrimage Mr Martin. I'm sure the service will be beautiful.
 FreshSlate 24 Jun 2011
Yeah where's the news story! I never climbed the route . RIP SPANNER
Removed User 24 Jun 2011
In reply to FreshSlate:

It's just another example of the East-Peaks centric nature of these forums...
In reply to Mick Ward:
Hi Mick going fine off to Lofoten on Tuesday. Bet there are no spanner walls there.

I just got a note from my mate Fred in Hong Kong who held my ropes on the spanner wall. It appears the reason I nearly decked it was he was stood well out and wasn't watching me but a lass dropping her kecks behind a boulder.

Must get back to the Pitts not been up there in ages

James Moyle 24 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: I never knew the spanner, but I pass on my deepest sympathy to all who knew Spanner
 Franco Cookson 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: can it not be soldered back on?
 teflonpete 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Soldered?

It's a pretty big spanner, welding might do it if its not all rust (which it probably is).
 3leggeddog 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve:

If the spanner is as iconic as those waxing lyrical about it make out then why not drill a hole and resin it back in to its home?

This is not the thin end of the wedge, it is the rusty end of the spanner.
 Simon 25 Jun 2011
In reply to 3leggeddog:

>>If the spanner is as iconic as those waxing lyrical about it make out >>then why not drill a hole and resin it back in to its home?

Is this an agenda item for the BMC Peak Area meeting at The Crown Pub - Glossop on the 14th September? All welcome - please spread the word you locals!

Cheers

Si
 Dan Lane 25 Jun 2011
In reply to craig h:

*get's popcorn and sits back...*
 craig h 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Dan Lane:

Replaced like for like, I don't see a problem?
 Dan Lane 25 Jun 2011
In reply to craig h:

Neither do I, but i'm sure someone will be along soon!

(not quite like for like, the new one is 5/8" whereas the old one must have been at least 2"?)

Maybe this one needs to be bent downwards in a worrying fashion too?
 craig h 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Dan Lane:

At least it's Imperial and not metric!
 ste_d 25 Jun 2011
In reply to craig h:

looks like a wet day at the Pits Mr H?
 cfer 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve: Brilliant, although no doubt someone will complain, I hope it is there for as long as the original.
 Niall 25 Jun 2011
In reply to craig h:

Pah! Modern drop-forged rubbish, in my day etc. etc.
 Ben1983 25 Jun 2011
In reply to Steeve:
I did it a couple of years ago; I'd say the amount of trust I placed in the already-very-wobbly Spanner was about nil. Not falling off after the mantle was always a part of the route, but it is still sad to see such an icon of the pits disappear. On the other hand, the route is still there - the absence of the spanner doesn't stop it being climbable!
Removed User 25 Jun 2011
In reply to craig h:

lol! Hope it was made by Snap-Off...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...