UKC

Cold/exped stoves: MSR XGK or Primus MFS?? other?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
BarryZ 23 May 2003
Curious, are they about the same or is there a big difference between the two stoves I can't discern?

So far, the MSR has a smaller pot base, but solid fuel line
The Primus has a metal pump, and takes canisters.

Are they more or less equally reliable?

Also, over the long run, what has a better history?

OP Ben S 23 May 2003
In reply to BarryZ: XGK pot base can be modified - http://www.sfu.ca/~csmith/soloice/SoloIce/100dollarstove.jpg
(not my picture by the way)

I've not used the Primus, but have used an XGK for 2 major expeditions (one 8 weeks, the other 3 weeks) and at temperatures down to -41 C. No problems at all, even burning dodgy Russian kerosene. Great bit of kit.
Frank 24 May 2003
In reply to BarryZ:
I had used MSR for several years, but it never failed that during winter trips i had to be xtra cautious whilst pressurizing the thing - i broke the ***PLASTIC*** pump housing on my Whisperlite and Dragonfly SEVERAL times - also, the fuel line is way too short - always trying to get a decent placement for the fuel cannister. Got tired of gluing the thing back together... Mebe i'm too thick and in too big a hurry for hot beverages, but fragile plastic pump housings rot!!!!

Since using my Primus Himalayan NEVER had a problem-METAL pump housing. Had it for 2 years and MANY cold weather trips(Winter is primarily all i get out for). "Simmers" reasonably well once familiar with it and burns quite hot for melting snow, etc. Used it in the Presidential Range, New Hampshire, USA in Jan/Feb - approx., 0F and not a single problem. Mine is not the cannister compatible model, but white gas is the better choice in the cold anyway, IMHO.

frank
Barry 24 May 2003
^hey is that bibler frank?

Well I've had the XGKII (solid fuel line) for awhile and it's served me well but I haven't put it through it's paces yet.

I received an opti-fuel primus and friend had good success with the himlaya - I know they are both great stoves, just looking at nuances.

I'm a fan of the metal pump - if only primus made an MSR adapter!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...