UKC

Lofoten in late september?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 olllie26 27 Jun 2011
Could any one, with experience of lofoten, tell me whether it would be worth heading there for a climbing trip in late september?

Thanks
 HeMa 27 Jun 2011
In reply to olllie26:

Could be good (albeit maybe not that warm), or utterly horrible. But then again, that is true pretty much all the time for Norway...

I seem to recall YR.no having monthly temp profiles as well as precipitation levels. So have a look at those (or try to find such figures from somewhere, if YR.no doesn't deliver).
 HeMa 27 Jun 2011
In reply to HeMa:

Oh, it seems that the stellar 27crags also offers weather forecast as well as monthly averages now..

So here's the stuff for Gandalfveggen
http://27crags.com/crags/gandalfveggen/weather

So, it can be cold and also rather wet...
 Denni 27 Jun 2011
In reply to olllie26:

Hi mate,
we went last week Sept/1st week Oct in 2009 and only had one good day, then it rained pretty much constantly as far as I can remember.

Took some mates to jump the Svolvaer Goat on day 1, then spent the rest of the time on a non existant whale watch and travelling round the Islands.

Still, worse places to be stuck in the rain.
 abr1966 27 Jun 2011
In reply to olllie26: If you can go earlier you would increase your chances of good conditions, by late Sept you may get wet weather and there will be an increase in the winds from early October in my experience. If you can't go earlier it is still worth a punt as there is some great climbing and a lot to do and see otherwise..
OP olllie26 29 Jun 2011
In reply to abr1966: That's great thanks everyone. Pretty much what I thought but good to have confirmation......think i'll go for it
 TobyA 29 Jun 2011
In reply to olllie26: If you have a car remember that a) there is a lot more climbing (from huge mountain routes to little bolted sports cliffs) on the mainland - where the weather could be different. And from Narvik, if you can face the drive you can cross the mountains and border into Sweden. I don't know of many rocks routes in Swedish Lapland but just before you get down to the sea there is Niemisel which is reckoned to be the best sport climbing in that whole country. http://27crags.com/crags/niemisel
 TobyA 29 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA: Oh, and the mainland Narvik area guide is called "Stetind and Narvik: Dancing on the Devil's Dancefloor." It's beautiful but unfortunately very expensive.
 HeMa 29 Jun 2011
In reply to TobyA:

Worth it, though...

Buy directly from topptur.nu

And some more climbs in northern Sweden...
http://www.borrbult.nu/p/forare.html

You'll want mainly focus on Norrbotten...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Jun 2011
In reply to olllie26:

The latest I have been up there is 1st week of September and there was a definite feel that autumn/winter were on the way - it was cold and wet. On the plus side it was quiet and the the nights were dark!

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...