UKC

Protecting Bold Routes With Bolt Holes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Franco Cookson 29 Jun 2011
I've got a little project at the moment, which is an old aid route with four bolt holes in it (bolts missing) and it doesn't have any other gear.

I've heard of removable bolts, those camp bolt hole cam things and tiny tricams, but thought I'd open it up to UKC for the best suggestion for protecting it and whether using the holes is ethical at all.

I know of a couple of unclimbed lines which have aid bolts already in and it seems a bit of a weird thing for a trad route- are there any examples of sandstone/grit being climbed on old aid bolts- maybe something in the burbage quarries?
 sutty 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Hey Franco, on the direttisama on Cima Grande there were some bolts placed in and wrapped with cigarette packet card to make them tighter. Maybe do the same, no damage and if a long enough sling is tied round the head it may hold.

Misha 29 Jun 2011
Seems fair game to use the holes for gear. No different to the peg scars at Millstone etc.

Find a suitably sized ordinary bolt, simply insert and tie off with a sling? Might hold if the hole is deep enough but may well pull out if there's much outward pull - adding a bit of spice!
 wilkie14c 29 Jun 2011
Hey Franco, good to hear you are back to contemplating madness once again. There was some specific gear for bolt holes, like a slider/bolo nut type thing but specifically for bolt holes. I recall them having a poor reputaion in holding power but that may be down to the hole its in. i saw a web page once about them but I wouldn't know where to begin looking to find it again. An alternative is like sutty says, packed out pins. Isn't that standard gear for the brail trail? I would say in my own world that ethically it isn't the cleanest but, as the bolt holes are there for a former aid route then its clean enough for a FFA and perhaps can be compared with placing offsets in peg scars on other former aid routes?
I hope someone pops up with that link for you, have fun working the route

Masters Edge? is that not a similar experience?
 Dave 88 29 Jun 2011

Regarding the ethics, if there really are no other placements then why not use the bolt holes. If nothing else it's a step purer than when it was bolted. By the sounds of it, it's either that or free solo it!
 Dave 88 29 Jun 2011

Been having a browse (bored an that) and there's a few things here that were in the right area http://www.crystalcanyons.net/Pages/TechNotes/RemovableBolts.shtm
not sure if any of that will do the job but might give you a few ideas for pro solutions.
 Kemics 29 Jun 2011

I've used removable bolts, but I drilled the holes so knew gear was exactly right and would work. There are videos online of people taking 50 footers on removable bolts but it'd examine the placements on abseil (assuming you're headpointing) before placing on lead.
 Dave 88 29 Jun 2011

Actually these might do the job a bit better:

http://www.climbtech.com/products/removable-anchors

looks like they can be placed on lead easily which helps your ethics concerns a bit I suppose.

Joe Kinder speaks highly of them on his blog www.joekindkid.com/?p=3713

There's also a vid on YouTube, of the company's co-founder taking a 50 footer onto one just to prove a point. Top man!
 wilkie14c 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Dave 88:
> (In reply to Franco Cookson)

They are the babies i was hinting at, tailor made but they aint no number 11 hex eh?!
I read a discussion on them somewhere, supertopo perhaps?
 Dave 88 29 Jun 2011
In reply to blanchie14c:
>
> but they aint no number 11 hex eh?!

No sir they are not!

You don't mention how deep the holes are but I suspect not very. I'd also reckon that they'd be something like 8mm diameter, correct?

If so the your options are limited as many of the tricks used in old shot holes won't work as you won't have the depth, things like a wire doubled over on itself or tricams. My first thought would be narrow tipped skyhooks with a bit of blutack to hold them in place. Then maybe dowels in the manner Sutty describes.

Hope you've recovered from your fall.

ALC
 TobyA 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: You could put a bolt in the holes! More seriously, even the tiny tricams wouldn't fit in a bolt hole I don't think, they are used in shot holes (drilled for putting explosive charges down and much, much bigger).
 CurlyStevo 29 Jun 2011
you could always do the nails from the hardware store padded out with tape ala hard grit / braile trail.
 Toerag 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: You could get some studs:-
http://www.bolt-products.com/StainlessSteelPitons.htm
or make your own. The smallest (white) tricams are really small, but looking at the camp website they only go down to 16mm.
With reference to Master's Edge, wasn't a device called an amigo used in the shotholes?
 jkarran 29 Jun 2011

How deep are they? If they're a couple of inches deep in good rock you could simply hand fit a slightly undersize high tensile bolt (wrapped in tape if need be) and tie it off.

The ethics are up to you, the holes are there, you can use them for fingers/gear, ignore them or fill them in. Most of the Millstone/Baildon/Caley/Burbage bolts/holes have been left alone and are occasionally used for runners/holds.

jk
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Franco Cookson) You could put a bolt in the holes! More seriously, even the tiny tricams wouldn't fit in a bolt hole I don't think, they are used in shot holes (drilled for putting explosive charges down and much, much bigger).

I have a small tricam that nearly fits in the hole and I know there are some camp things that are smaller, so maybe there's something that fits. I haven't measure the holes, but they're third finger sized- perhaps around 8mm.

I'm genuinely surprised by the excellent response- some good ideas there, although most of the solutions don't seem very good with outward force, which could be a problem with an overhanging wall. The other issue is that I need all but one hole for hand holds, so which ever solution I chose needs to be bomber by it's self.

Does anyone fancy lending me a removable cam.....?
 jkarran 29 Jun 2011

You must have some pretty skinny fingers Franco! Even my little finger is more like 12mm, if you can get your fingernails of your front two into the holes they're probably in the 12-16mm range.

You could try making a soft expanding bolt. Tightening a nut/bolt through a length of rubber hose expands the diameter, there are loads of different base diameter high pressure fuel hoses available that are tough as hell, if the holes are big enough for fingers then something like that would take some outward pull (you'd have to determine how much and you'd be looking at a skinny bolt).

A hand placed bolt that protrudes some way out of the wall before you tie it off will have some camming action and will withstand some outward pull. It'll also exert a huge pressure on the lower lip of the hole (enough to blow it out?) and you'll bend all but the toughest of bolts. Might be worth a try but do test it carefully first!

jk
In reply to jkarran:

Yeh, I just measured the hole in my roof that fits exactly the same as the project and it's more like 16mm! I'm such a fool, unused to metric measurements..

I'm going to guess that it's 40mm deep as well.
 Mike Stretford 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: I did something at Rivelin recently that had an old bolt hole. Managed to use 2 small nuts... put one in first, then the other, then pulled the first to cam against second. It might have held.
 TobyA 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: That's huge for a bolt hole, but in that case you might get one of the diddy tricams in, although whether it works is another matter and the breaking strain on them isn't much. From my review: "The other two tricams I was sent to test are their new mini ones the 0.25 and the toylike 0.125 is rated at 3 KNs in active and only 2 KNs in passive mode; the 0.25 is rated at 5 and 3 KNs respectively. They probably have their role as vital runners on a few chop routes, but anyone who wants to do those routes probably won't need to be reading this review and will know what a Screamer is." http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1366
 Mike Stretford 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: Wouldn't this do it

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Camp-Tri-Cam-Size-0.25.html

40mm is quite shallow though.
 jkarran 29 Jun 2011

> I'm going to guess that it's 40mm deep as well.

That's not so good! You could definitely make something stick in it but there'll be some messing about with tools needed. How's your DiY?

Would a cut down BD grappling hook maybe fit, grind it just right and you'd have to knock it in with the heel of your hand. Simpler job but maybe less secure.

jk
In reply to TobyA: Cheers for that. The crux isn't at a terribly dangerous height, so if an ok tricam took most of the fall before ripping you'd probably be ok anyway. It looks like the 0.25 would fit... Hmmmm, might have to go have a look in the shops
 jkarran 29 Jun 2011

They sound like the holes you cut for Petzl 8mm 'spits', the self cutting hand drilled inserts that you hammer in lock in place by pounding them onto a little cone. Maybe the route was drilled but never bolted since the inserts tend to stay where they're placed!

jk
In reply to jkarran:

Whatever they were, they were placed more than 30 years ago and my guess is that the route was never climbed, due to the holes ending by a nails move that couldn't be top-stepped past. Most likely someone's weekend handdrilled project, that they never got round to actually bolting. They could be a little deeper, but there's a lot of crap in them that needs prodding out.
 Andy Farnell 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: Get yourself a 8mm hand drill, finish of the holes and place the bolts. Make a good sport route people may want to do...

Andy F

If they are 40mm deep then the cammed wire trick may well do, this would also let you use the holes for fingers as the wire is out of the way.

Find a Rock/Wallnut that fits in to the hole with a little to spare either side. Now bend the nut back on the wire and push the "elbow" in to the hole with the two parts of the wire loop coming out of the top and with the top part of the nut against the floor of the hole. Give the wire loop a tug to seat the nut. It may take a bit of practice to do. It's hard to describe without pictures but I'm sure someone else will be along to help!

ALC
In reply to andy farnell:

I'm not a nob thanks.
In reply to a lakeland climber:

I know what you mean, although you'd be trusting something around a size 1 nut and you'd have to place it in a really tenuous position.

Maybe pre-place, not perfect ethically but that doesn't seem to be a problem these days At least if you state this then you are being honest.

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber:

Alas, you need all the pockets for the moves- you'd have to place the gear after doing a move- hanging off a higher mono.
 jon 29 Jun 2011

Probably best to wait a little while. You know how pockets tend to weather and get bigger quite naturally until cams fit them... think Cornwall.
 Andy Farnell 29 Jun 2011
> (In reply to andy farnell)
>
> I'm not a nob thanks.

That post proves otherwise.

Andy F
In reply to andy farnell:

Go away you insignificant, pedantic troublemaker.
In reply to jon:

haha! Lets hope that doesn't happen here..
 JLS 29 Jun 2011

>"I've got a little project at the moment"

Perhaps this is just one of those climbs that you either solo or top rope and to contemplate any other style is just p!ss!ng about.

I'm sure Messner would say you are just looking for technology as an accomplice to murder.
In reply to JLS:

I reckon you might be right, but I was quite interested in what would be the best way to protect it if I wanted to. As it is, any protection seems like it might not be worth the extra pump placing it...
 teflonpete 29 Jun 2011

Have you got any access to workshop facilities? You could use one of the deforming rubber bungs that JK was talking about, with a draw bolt through the middle of it pivoting on a cam action lever with a hanger behind it. It would be quick to place, just put it in the hole and snap the lever down. Its a bit difficult to describe but would be easy to draw and make.
 Andy Farnell 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: I see you are now learning how to be slightly abusive and not get banned. It won't last...

Andy F
 JLS 29 Jun 2011
In reply to teflonpete:

>"with a draw bolt through the middle of it pivoting on a cam action lever with a hanger behind it"

Sounds like a modified bike wheel quick realease skewer with bolt hanger on it... I'm not sure if that would be murdering the impossible or suicide.
 Reach>Talent 29 Jun 2011
In reply to JLS:
More like this...
http://image.become.com/imageserver/s6/784374136-150-150-5-32/msc-internati...

They do industrial versions for plugging pipes and are really solid if you get the right degree of expansion for the hole diameter.
In reply to teflonpete:

Sounds interesting, but I don't quite understand what you mean...
In reply to Reach>Talent: Looks like a teletubbie's genitalia.
 Mr Powly 29 Jun 2011

what mkean said, kind of like one of those wine bottle stopper things, if you can get a strong one and work out how to tie it off or attach a hanger.
 Mr Powly 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Mr Powly:

This one shows the kind of thing a bit better http://tinyurl.com/6c2fvla
 JLS 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

>"More like this"

Yeah, I've got one of those but had never considered it as part of my rack.

Hopefully the industrial version looks a bit more... sturdy.
 Reach>Talent 29 Jun 2011
Looks like a teletubbie's genitalia.

Bloody hell, I wouldn't like to see your web browsing history!

Basically pulling on the lever rotates a cam which pulls up the bolt through the middle of a rubber tube, which in turn expands sideways gripping the inside of the bottle.

The industrial versions swap the cam for a big bolt and a wingnut.

http://knowledgepublications.com/history/images/Mechanical_Movements_Expand...

jkarran 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Reach>Talent:

> The industrial versions swap the cam for a big bolt and a wingnut.
> http://knowledgepublications.com/history/images/Mechanical_Movements_Expand...

That's the sort of nonsense I was thinking of. An hour or two on the lathe and you could knock up a working prototype out of an old 12.9 socket-head bolt. Using a bike wheel release cam would speed the whole thing along nicely

jk <wanders off to rummage through work's scrap>
In reply to jkarran:

I might just shove a 6 inch nail in and hope for the best...
 Rubbishy 29 Jun 2011

I have used small tricams in the past.

THey work
 jkarran 29 Jun 2011

> I might just shove a 6 inch nail in and hope for the best...

Sounds like a reasonable plan
In reply to jkarran: Let me know if you want any of your inventions testing though
In reply to sutty:

O ok, Shame a rawlplug wouldn't hold a goldfinch.
 Andy Farnell 29 Jun 2011
> (In reply to jkarran)
>
> I might just shove a 6 inch nail in and hope for the best...

We don't need to know your nightly perversions Franco

Andy F

teflonpete 29 Jun 2011
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to teflonpete)
>
> >"with a draw bolt through the middle of it pivoting on a cam action lever with a hanger behind it"
>
> Sounds like a modified bike wheel quick realease skewer with bolt hanger on it... I'm not sure if that would be murdering the impossible or suicide.

That sort of thing, but somewhat sturdier.
 Reach>Talent 29 Jun 2011
In reply to sutty:
The strongest of those rawl fixings is supposedly good for about 100kg in blockwork, I'm sure I've placed worse gear than that but I certainly wouldn't want to have to trust it!
 JLS 29 Jun 2011

So one of these...

http://images.jensonusa.com/large/hu/hu295z13135.jpg

some of these...

http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id...

and one of these...

http://www.climbinganchors.com.au/product_images/v/414/coeur__96997_zoom.jp...

...and you have the making of something so cunning to could pin a tail on it and call it a fox.

deepsoup 29 Jun 2011
In reply to JLS:
> ...and you have the making of something so cunning to could pin a tail on it and call it a fox.

Well you could try, though it may not reliably support the weight of a fox's tail.
 chris fox 29 Jun 2011

In Oz back in the 70's and 80's they used carrots. It's a hexi head bolt that you grind slightly conical at the end, then hammer into the hole. then you fix a bolt plate on it. A bit like a fixed hanger but without the expansion bolt, the hanger is removeable and if you didn't want glue the bolt in you could probably remove it without damaging the rock.

I have a few of them in my loft. Depends on the size of the drilled hole.

http://www.safercliffs.org/code/bolt_guide.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfinnecy/3100232788/in/photostream/
 tom290483 29 Jun 2011
> are there any examples of sandstone/grit being climbed on old aid bolts- maybe something in the burbage quarries?

appointment with fear at wimberry has some bolts in it, guessing they are old aid bolts as they start from underneath the overhang (which on appointment you traverse in over the top of).

i dont think the arete/prow whatever you wanna call it has been free climbed direct although i could be wrong (looks nails/impossible).

on the sandstone there are a few vertical, mega crimpy lines at pex hill that have been climbed with the use of (aid?)bolts. they look like half decent lines but would need a mega scrub down with a stiff brush.

In reply to chris fox:

The hole is about 16mm wide, but anything smaller would be paddable...
 chris fox 01 Jul 2011

you could pad out a hexi 13mm bolt and use my bolt hangers if you like ? Just don't ground fall please
In reply to chris fox:

Yes please What would you recommend padding it out with?
 JLS 01 Jul 2011

Resin bolts set pretty quick and if you placed them on the lead then that would still be trad in my book. Climb up, pop in capsual, push in a bolt, shake-out for ten minutes, clip and go. Your second may need a very good nut key.
In reply to JLS:

Don't think I could hang on for 10 mins...

Bat Hook and blu-tac?
 Adam Hocking 03 Jul 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: Hay Franco, i have the same problem with a project, let me know how you get on
In reply to Adam Hocking:

Will do. Although it's on the back burner at the moment, after effectively discovering a new crag. How big are your holes?
 chris fox 04 Jul 2011

Easy there Franco, Hock might not 'bat for the away team' !!!!
In reply to chris fox:

Cumbria?
Tim Chappell 05 Jul 2011

Have you tried using that traditional Scottish winter gear standby-- the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer?
 SGD 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: Would a folded nut work? I'm not talking a conventional rock but how about one of those WC half nuts on a single stem. If the hole is 15/16mm wide you could probalby get a descent sized nut in and the use a nail or something to poke it as far back as it goes?? Might be interesting getting it out though?
 SGD 05 Jul 2011
In reply to SGD: oops soz just read ALC's posts further up the thread
 chris fox 06 Jul 2011

Hey Franco,

just had a chat with a mate of mine who's got his own business and a guru on bolting. he sent me this link to pass onto you
http://www.climbtech.com/products/removable-anchors

Chris
 adi3969 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: Use a removable M8 or M10 RAWL bolt , available at all good hardware shops or a slider nut if you can source one, both are bombproof.
In reply to adi3969:

Are they all removable, or are there different types?
 adi3969 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson: RAWL bolts are removable , just hand tighten the nut and vice-versa to remove. They will depend on the depth of the hole mind and won't work if they bottom out before tightening. My mate has a set of sliders from the states which are also easily removable

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...