UKC

THE LOWDOWN: Pearson and partner gets into multipitching

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Les Chemins de Katmandou, 4 kbJames Pearson and Caroline Ciavaldini recently made the 3rd and 4th ascents of the multi pitch route, Les Chemins de Katmandou, Gorges de la Jonte, 8b+ max.
It took just two day of work for James to succeed the whole route, with a further two days needed for Caroline. Chemins de Katmandou was...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=62747
 flaneur 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

Caroline relegated to "and partner" status now?!
 Morgan Woods 29 Jun 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

great looking piece of rock!
 Kemics 29 Jun 2011
In reply to flaneur:

Another victim of aliteration

Good effort from James. Funny how big wall sooner or later tempts everyone in.
 iceaxejuggler 30 Jun 2011
In reply to flaneur:

Yeh, not sure why it's not Pearson and Ciavaldini.
In reply to iceaxejuggler:

It's a British site, I suppose. In France no doubt it's notre belle Caroline et son perfidious anglais boyfriend.

jcm
 MJ 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Kemics:

Big wall?

Kemics 30 Jun 2011
In reply to MJ:
> (In reply to Kemics)
>
> Big wall?

From the article - James has recently become more and more interested in the world of Multi-pitch and Big Walls

The alpine style of big wall climbing, basically very long multi (day?) pitch climbing, seems to be the eventually trajectory for every pro climbers career. No one resists it.

Same interview keeps cropping up with climbers, they feel like something is missing from their chosen discipline any find it in big wall climbing.

Lisa Rands
Leo Houlding
Sonnie Trotter
Nicolas Favresse

so on

.....I feel the call too. Like Polynesians or Vikings who chose to sail from their islands into the unknown. So i too feel inexplicably drawn to big wall free climbing.
Gorrilla 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Kemics:

Yawn.....
Non-news, from mr James PR Pearson sponsored bu UKnonewsC
In reply to Gorilla:
> (In reply to Kemics)
>
> Yawn.....
> Non-news, from mr James PR Pearson sponsored bu UKnonewsC

So if UKC produces no-news why are you on here? It's easy to criticise, no?

Congratulations to James and Caroline on the ascent, looks like an awesome piece of rock!

I can also understand the appeal of really long multi-pitch/big wall climbing; it just has to be done one day!
 archiecb 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Gorilla:

This is like saying that when Manchester United beat some 3rd division team in the FA cup no one wants to hear about it. Everyone who takes an interest in ManU will expect them to win, but they still want to hear that it happened.

Stop being so up your own arse.
Craig Smith 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Gorilla:

Yawn.....
Non-news, from mr James PR Pearson sponsored bu UKnonewsC

: )

GDes 01 Jul 2011
In reply to crag_hopper_Jay:

>
> I can also understand the appeal of really long multi-pitch/big wall climbing; it just has to be done one day!

I think perhaps one of the points being made is that the route was 3 pitches long. Great effort no doubt, but is it big walling? As in comparable to El Cap etc?

NickD 01 Jul 2011
Quite good climber climbs someone else's route. Amazing.

The book's quite good though.
 Jimbo C 01 Jul 2011
In reply to GDes:

It's not big walling. James says on his own blog that he wants to get into hard big walling, but needs to develop the skills first - hence the reasonably hard 3 pitch route.
 Fatboy 01 Jul 2011
In reply to NickD: Maybe they should've wrote a news story about your latest climb instead...
 NickD 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Fatboy: The site would grind to a halt.
 hexcentric 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Craig Smith:
I resist the Marmite analogy with Pearson - after all some people quite like Marmite.
 Adam Lincoln 02 Jul 2011
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to Craig Smith)
> I resist the Marmite analogy with Pearson - after all some people quite like Marmite.

My, how bitter and nasty some of the climbers in the UK can be. Makes you proud to be a climber doesn't it. FFS.

gucci:boi 02 Jul 2011
In reply to hexcentric:
> (In reply to Craig Smith)
> I resist the Marmite analogy with Pearson - after all some people quite like Marmite.

care to post your full name after making such derogatory remarks? tool.
 GrahamD 04 Jul 2011
In reply to hexcentric:

I suspect with comments like that, people are likely to start avoiding the marmite comparison with you as well.
Craig Smith 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Er, that comment wasn't from me BTW!!!! In fact I'm not quite sure what any of this has to do with Marmite. Can somebody please enlighten me?
 Dave Garnett 07 Jul 2011
In reply to GDes:
> (In reply to crag_hopper_Jay)
>
> [...]
>
> I think perhaps one of the points being made is that the route was 3 pitches long. Great effort no doubt, but is it big walling?

This has to be one of the least exciting headlines ever (let alone the grammar!) It might be a great route, desperate moves etc etc, but bigging up the fact that it has three pitches is pathetic. Are we really so focused on bouldering, headpointing and short sport that we are impressed by a route because it has more than one pitch?
 hexcentric 07 Jul 2011
In reply to Craig Smith:
Me I think.
It was a 'love or hate' reference but it was unfair.
Adam clearly likes him (cute) and seems he is the poster-boy for the hard-of-thinking. Other people think he is over-exposed, over-indulged and a bit annoying. But that is just life.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...