UKC

Punctured platypus, superglue a good fix?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Laura-lou 30 Jun 2011
I have a pin sized hole in my platypus and im not sure of the best way to fix it. Iv considered superglue but im concerned that the glue might melt the plastic? Any ideas appreciated =)

Cheers, Laura
 Brass Nipples 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Laura-lou:

try the kind of patches you use for lilos
 benghull 30 Jun 2011
In reply to Laura-lou: Get the platy patches only a couple of quid for a pack.
 mlmatt 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou:

I still maintain that a compeed ontop of some seam sealer the backed up by ducktape will be best.

Good day to you sir
 wheelo 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou: contact platypus they have a lifetime guarantee or if you can recall where you bought it take it back
 LastBoyScout 01 Jul 2011
In reply to wheelo:

Doesn't apply to punctures, though!

Go with the PlatyPatch
 owlart 01 Jul 2011
In reply to LastBoyScout: Depends on how the puncture was formed. I had one that formed a puncture on a crease mark, and they were happy to replace it for me. I've got another one that's done the same, so I should get round to sending that back. I'm happy to pay if they think it's not covered, but I'd prefer them to be the judge of that, rater than me trying to second guess their policy.
 nscnick 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou:

Platypus have repair patches available in any good equipment shop. However I would recommend buying a new one. Nothing worse than a litre or more leaking into your rucksack without knowing, and then of course wanting a drink and there is none!
 SeanT 01 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou:
Don't use superglues.
They have poor moisture resistance and the bond will degrade quite quickly.
 hokkyokusei 01 Jul 2011
In reply to mlmatt:
> (In reply to Laura-lou)
>
> I still maintain that a compeed ontop of some seam sealer the backed up by ducktape will be best.

Reckon that would work for most grazes, cuts and broken limbs too.

roofus 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou: Don't use Platypus. Try Camelbak

youtube.com/watch?v=l9iV2A-6Ol8&
 Jack Finney 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou:
Self adhesive patches for inner tube repairs work very well. Like these, half the price of the rip off platy ones.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7206
 Joez 05 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou:

Stormsure glue?
 harry1969 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou: I've had two Platy's perforate (at the section where the plastic screwthread for the tube is bonded on, both within the space of a year so that lead me to conclude that Platy's are shit. I bought a Camelbak and have have it for about 4 years now with no issues and it still looks as good as new. I think it's the type of plastic Platy use that make them vulnerable to stress failures.

Harry.
 astell 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Laura-lou:
I had a tiny hole in my camel back bladder. Used a standard bicycle puncture repair patch over it. The repair has lasted for some years now with no problem.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...