UKC

How to find at job at a climbing wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
samn01 04 Jul 2011
Hi,

Quick question for anyone who works at a climbing wall or who has ever worked for one:
What is the best way to go about finding a job with a wall?

My girlfriend is desperate to find a job with a climbing wall. She loves climbing and wants more than anything to qualify as an instructor. She will look at any job from reception / admin / bookings / operations etc to get her foot in the door.

We live in Cambridge and apart from climbing at Cambridge wall we often travel to Milton Keynes, Mile End, Northampton etc.

So far she has send her CV I think to each but with little or no response. Can anyone offer any advice? Anyone know anyone personally that she could try contacting?

Any advice very much appreciated. Thanks.
Sam
 Monk 04 Jul 2011
In reply to samn01:

I've not got first hand experience of this, but I would go into the wall and talk to them. Ask the reception staff if the manager is in and if it's possible to have a chat. I don't think I know of any walls where the staff aren't friendly and approachable (with the possible exception of one of Sheffield's more established walls...)

I would also look to work towards some qualifications like the CWA or SPA in the meantime. Show the wall that you have something to offer them. Getting some work experience in would be handy too - maybe with the Scouts, guides or local schools.

samn01 04 Jul 2011
Thanks - good advice.
Removed User 04 Jul 2011
In reply to samn01:

If she's sent her CV to Mile End, then Beth will have it on file as a potential when we're looking for staff. Ask her to contact Beth in August as we may have a couple of staff going to Uni. Obviously it's a bit of a journey so take that into consideration.

Andy
 wushu 04 Jul 2011
In reply to samn01:

Hi Sam,

I've worked in the climbing industry for the past 3-4years so hopefully I can offer some advice.

The best bet for your girlfriend is to go into a local climbing wall and offer her help for free to work with climbing sessions(instructing) this shows that she's dedicated to it. While doing this get her to apply for the CWA and do her training, then the volunteering and working with groups she would have done at the climbing centre will compliment this and enable her to be more ready for the CWA assessment.

It also helps to show your face around the local climbing centres and get to know the staff, this will help greatly in getting to know the centre and letting her decide if the atmosphere is good for her.

Your best bet really would be to get her to get some more experience volunteering with groups and then apply again to climbing centres stating that she is in the process of becoming an instructor.

If you have any more queries, just send me an email through my profile and I'll be glad to help.

Wushu.
samn01 04 Jul 2011
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks Andy, I am not sure if it has gone to Mile End or not however i will check!
samn01 04 Jul 2011
In reply to wushu:

Thanks, really good advice!
Phantom35 04 Jul 2011
In reply to samn01:

I've worked at a climbing centre for 4 years now. best way to get into it even as a freelancer is to make srue you have your qualifications (CWA or SPA). and well filled out log book.

and just keep dropping her CV off to walls as most are always on the look out for a freelance instructors and from there she will hear about any full time jobs going at the wall.
rockworksclimbing 09 Jul 2011
In reply to samn01:

I second Wushu's advice, get her started on the CWA asap as well, as this is the most straight forward way of gaining a recognised qualification. Its also worth asking if she can shadow an instructor at a wall, this will give her valuable experience for the CWA, and again shows willing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...