UKC

Accidents on Scafell Sat 02 July 2011

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonnylowes 04 Jul 2011
I have only just got back to civilisation (well in terms of internet access) from the weekend. Had a look on the forums, but couldn't see anything.

There was two separate incidents involving a MRT and at least two helicopters at Scafell on Saturday, I was wondering if anyone knew the outcome? Both climbers where winched out by RAF Sea King.

Not sure what happened in the first incident, I sat and watched as the IP was recovered, before decending down and back up Lord's Rake.

I heard that the second guy had fallen from about 20ft whilst soloing and broke an arm/gashed head. Luckily as the MRT had just arrived because of the other incident. He was winched away as we came back down and dropped onto the corridor route.

Hope both are okay and wishing the two climbers a speedy recovery.

Sean Bell 04 Jul 2011
In reply to jonnylowes: We had just arrived and were checking the guide book/looking at routes on East Buttress when we saw the runner fall from the top of Broad Stand(First incident).Emergency call was made right away and everyone there did what they could until Medics and MR arrived.Sad to hear he is critical and I do hope for some sort of positive outcome, it was a horrendous thing to see and my thoughts are with friends and family of the man in hoping he pulls through.
OP jonnylowes 04 Jul 2011
In reply to SeanB:
> (In reply to jonnylowes) We had just arrived and were checking the guide book/looking at routes on East Buttress when we saw the runner fall from the top of Broad Stand(First incident).

I was doing the 10 peaks, so I'm shocked and saddened to hear it was a runner, I'd assumed it was a climber. Obviously falling without any protection etc doesn't bear thinking about.

I can only re-iterate I hope the two make a full recovery. Thanks for the update.
 d conacher 04 Jul 2011
In reply to jonnylowes: the climber fell of the first pitch of botterils soloing,broke his wrist but isntcritical he was on his feet when we arrived he was in a fair bit of pain when he was carried down the scree on the strecher he only started climbing six months ago.dont know about the runner.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...