UKC

Can anyone recommend a winter skills course?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ted_topping 04 Jul 2011
I'm a keen 3 season walker and rock climber and after years of sticking to lower altitude walking when the winter comes around I would like to advance my skills to include winter walking.

There seems to be a lot of winter walking skills courses to choose from so I would appreciate any recommendations on a good course to take.

I am more interested in winter walking/mountaineering skills rather than full on ice climbing and anything in Wales would be better as I live in Liverpool.

Cheers.
 jhsp 04 Jul 2011
In reply to ted_topping:

Glenmore Lodge comes recommended. The 5-day Winter Mountaineering course is generally better (IMO) than the 5-day Winter Skills course. They aren't that different, but the former gives you more time walking on steepish ground with axe and crampons, and a bit less of the nav stuff. Avalanche awareness is drilled home relentlessly either way.

Not sure what travel is like from Liverpool, but snow conditions will be much more reliable than in Wales.

I take your point about not wanting to do ice climbing, but I've always found that exposure to stuff much harder than you intend to do regularly gives you greater confidence. Top roping a pitch of grade IV mixed climbing makes you much happier walking around in grade I and II ground.

Will Sheaff 04 Jul 2011
In reply to ted_topping:

BMC sponsored Conville Course. 'Nuff said.
 James Edwards 04 Jul 2011
In reply to ted_topping:
You might get something in north wales if you are flexible and can 'go' at the drop of a hat. Have a chat with these people
http://www.ibexguides.com/
they are very good people and have both previously worked for Plas y Brenin before forming their own company. They are usually about in North Wales before they move up to Scotland around February.

Scotland really though is where you will find the best terrain such as wide open deep snow fields where you will have to apply judgments of terrain analysis, snow pits etc etc. We also have fantastic places that you can get totally lost in such as the Cairngorm plateau, or long easy ridges of several km such as the traverse of Beinn Eighe. Condiditons are usually very much more 'reliable' in Scotland.

Glen more lodge can offer good package deals of food accommodation and a nice atmosphere to relax in in the evening. They usually use the northern corries as a venue where a lot can be done. The only down side can be higher ratios of instructor to client which may limit the things you can do and the terrain you can go into.

The other option is a small independent person/ organisation (such as ibex) where you can do exactly what you want, where you want, when you want, but you may have to sort your own accommodation / food etc.

I agree with the person who suggested to do very easy climbing routes in the context of your learning as when you go off on your own you may find the experience of the steeper ground has vastly improved your axe and crampon technique and given you greater confidence. Train hard and fight easy!

Hope this is food for thought.

James e

Gog the Mild 05 Jul 2011
In reply to ted_topping:
I did a weekend course at Plas y Brenin several years ago which was excellent.
 Glenmore Lodge 05 Jul 2011
Thanks to 'jhsp' for the Glenmore Lodge recommendation.

Just to let you know a bit more information about the courses. There are a couple of major differences between the winter skills and the winter mountaineering courses.

The skills course is more focused around movement in the hills, navigation and safety, all on less serious terrain and therefore not including any ropework. The mountaineering course moves onto steeper more 'scrambling' terrain (grade 1) and therefore includes rope work as a means of increasing the level of safety. It also includes more technical work with axes and crampons.

The second major difference is the ratios, winter skills courses are run at 1:6 whilst the mountaineering is 1:4 due to the more serious terrain it involves. These ratios would be pretty standard across most providers unless it was more of a 'private' booking, which could cost you a lot more, particuarly once you've added food, accommodation, equipment, etc.

For the mountaineering course we would require you to have previous experience of winter walking and ideally some summer scrambling experience. One possible solution to best meet your needs would be to attend a 2 day winter skills course, followed by our 1 day avalanche course then a 2 day winter mountaineering course. This 5 day package is available for most weeks throughout the winter and should then cover all of your requirements.

Our winter brochure is available online at http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk as are all of the course notes for these courses to help you to choose.

Whoever you decide to go with, have a great time.
 two06 05 Jul 2011
In reply to ted_topping: Snowdonia adventures run one, I've not done it but I was very impressed with the nav course I did with them. Would recommend the company.
OP ted_topping 05 Jul 2011
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. I take your point about its better to go to Scotland. As for the ice climbing, I do want to build up to that but thought it sensible to have some winter knowledge first.

I'm still a bit unsure as to what level to go for. I climb comfortably at HS/HVS and always try to get a grade 1/2 scramble in when I go out walking. So what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a complete beginner when it comes to the mountains I've just never had any winter experience.
 AlH 05 Jul 2011
In reply to ted_topping: It sounds like you will be reasonably good on your feet but if crampons are new to you you will still need some tuition on their use in combination with an axe.
Either:
go for the flexible package suggested by the Lodge above (2 days' intro winter skills- basic boot, axe and crampon work, ratio up to 1:6 people looking for the same thing then 1 day avalanche day- probably in company with some of those you just spent the 2 intro. days with and finish with 2 day mountaineering- aimed at those who can already walk with axe and crampons but looking at getting onto slightly steeper ground and with lower ratios)
or
Book a small provider like James Edwards above and go private with days tailored just to you and instruction at your learning pace- more expensive but it's all about what suits you.
Al
 vincentvega 05 Jul 2011
In reply to ted_topping:

I can highly reccomend this chap:
http://www.jamesthacker-mountaineering.co.uk/

I have been out with james on a couple of occasions and he is a great profesional and all really relaxed.
Im sure you would gain a vast ammount of knowledge from him, well worth doing!

Allan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...