UKC

Loch Kayak, Bothy Camp, Walk - any suggestions...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt does not bounce 06 Jul 2011
Hi All,

AS the title says a small group of us are about to start planning a trip to Scotland to do a longish loch kayak to a location where we can potentially wildcamp but ideally there is a bothy to keep weight down and then we can use that as a base for a day or two to explore. More remote the better.

Any suggestions on a) location and b) where we can locally hire kayaks (or maybe canoes).

thanks

Matt
 Chris L Hill 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Matt does not bounce: Try the NW - Suilven is good to do from a canoe (ideally, rather than kayak), but you could add in other hills too. Plenty of wild-camping to be had out there. With a couple of portages you can make it into a traverse and come out on the road between Lochinver and Reiff (I think). We did just that, hired canoes from Highland Canoes in Inverness if I remember right. Only thing is the pick up/drop off at different locations adds a lot of cost to the hire.

Plenty of other options I'm sure, just look at a map of NW Scotland.
ccmm 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Matt does not bounce:

Loch Morar and Oban Bothy fits the bill nicely.
 Ian Hinkins 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Matt does not bounce: Loch Erict and Ben Alder Cottage works well. Also done Loch Quoich in Knoydart. Canoes work better than Kayaks for this kind of trip.
 Harry Ellis 06 Jul 2011
In reply to Matt does not bounce: Check that the bothy you are heading to is not closed for the stalking season, Oban on Loch Morar may be. MBA website may be a good place to check.
Ericht is loooong from Dalwhinnie!
Get a copy of Scottish Canoe Classic by Eddie Palmer pub by Pesda Press and be inspired with ideas.
David Hillebrandt
Matt does not bounce 06 Jul 2011

thanks all...seems like a fair bit to go at.
definitely canoe? Not sea kayak/tourer?

Matt
ccmm 06 Jul 2011

Sea kayaks are better and faster on bigger water if the paddler is experienced enough to sort out any trouble i.e capsizing.

Open canoes are slower and catch the wind more but they're easier to pack and it's more sociable if you're paddling tandem. There's also the option of rafting up the canoes or sailing them with a group shelter if you want or need to.

The goatstroker's right regarding Oban: http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothy-details.asp?bothy_id=111
Snotty 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Matt does not bounce: Fron Kinloch Hourn to Barrisdale Bothy. Make use of the tides (i.e. launch just after high tide on the way to Barrisdale, launch 1 hour before high tide to return).

Canoe or Kayak suitable.

A chance to bag the remote Munros & Corbetts of Knoydart...
Removed User 13 Jul 2011

Canoeing into Loch Coul bothy from kyleskue is a popular trip.
 Mal Grey 13 Jul 2011

Morar to Oban Bothy is a great idea.

The Suilven trip is possibly one of the greatest UK canoe/mountain combos. Bit of a faff, but exceptional country to travel through & canoeing a lot easier than backpacking. Head along Loch Veyatie & through the shallows to Fionn Loch (possibly have to wade a little). You can then either return to the start or, for a traverse, head back through the shallows, then turn south into the bay of Loch Mhadail. From here its a km or so portage/drag/line down stream to Loch Sionascaig, one of the most beautiful places in Scotland. End by heading to Boat Bay & a quick portage out to the mad little road.

Beware that even moderate wind on the big lochs can make travel a. difficult, and b. potentially dangerous. Kayaks will handle this better, but you need to have good emergency procedures. Canoes will swamp in big waves, but are better at carrying the luxuries of life (liquid ones, mostly!). However, in good weather its a wonderful way to travel.

If you've a roof rack you can hire at the big newish Tiso's in Inverness.
 marsbar 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Matt does not bounce: I did a trip last year caledonian canal in sea kayak, not as rural as you are looking for but there was enough room for all the kit and food. Some nights were wild camping, some we stopped by locks and pubs.
In reply to Matt does not bounce: I did a trip from Glenfinnan down Loch Shiel and the River Shiel to the sea and then around the coast to Glenuig. Brilliant trip but the coastal bit was well scary in an open boat. The best place to research this is the 'Song of the Paddle' website which has masses of trip reports with photos.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...