UKC

repairing a platypus with seam seal?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Is this a horrific idea? I've used it before to glue holes in dry bags and its watertight but then again i never drank out of a dry bag!I don't wanna poison myself. I reckon once it dries it will be fine right??? The seam seal i have is http://www.mcnett.com/Seam-Grip-Seam-Sealer-Outdoor-Repair-P133.aspx does anybody know if this will be safe???

thanks in advance guys
In reply to ChrisHolloway1: Thanks but i've heard that those platypus patch things dont work they just come off and i've tried puncture repair kits in the past with no success. I've found seam seal great on dry bags so want to try that but was curious if anybody can confirm that its not going to be harmful before i do it?
 AlasdairM 08 Jul 2011
In reply to Graham Stephenson: I've had a platypus patch on my hydration bladder for about three years with no issues at all, they're definitely worth a shot.
 Chaz2512 08 Jul 2011
In reply to Graham Stephenson: my platypus has got 2 bike puncture repair patches (dirt cheap ones where you apply the glue yourself etc, wilkinsons i think) on it and has for years, worked and still works really well. might be worth a try.... if not maybe spinnaker tape? just my two cents.
In reply to Graham Stephenson: i do believe that platypus's have a lifetime guarantee.

so just send it back?
In reply to Northern Climber: true but the hole was made with my ice axe!
 Kimono 09 Jul 2011
In reply to Graham Stephenson:
still worth a try...
In reply to Graham Stephenson: ahh well then!

how did you manage that?

maybee contact the distributor anyway for advice on repairs?
In reply to Northern Climber: they were in my bag together, the axe had a pick cover on that managed top come off in transit and it pressed against the platypus and made a hole!
ice.solo 10 Jul 2011
In reply to Graham Stephenson:

done both (punctured a platypus with an ice tool and fixed one with seamseal).

the seamseal doesnt have any taste i could tell off. dont know how safe it is (i replaced it a while after).

if the afterlife has a ward for people who died from sealseal toxicity then i guess i will see you there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...