UKC

REVIEW: Rope Bags for the Winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 12 Jul 2011
Rope Bag review Montage, 5 kbAlan James, Mick Ryan and Chris Craggs review an essential part of the modern climber's gear: rope bags.

"The rope bag has matured from a basic sheet, when it was first introduced in the 1990s, to something much more sophisticated."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3625

Roberttaylor 12 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: Well done for reviewing the IKEA bag, I've been considering getting one of these.

(In all seriousness, nice to see a sensible review)
 TobyA 12 Jul 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor: I couldn't imagine going climbing without an IKEA bag these days - I use mine summer and winter, in the latter its stops things getting lost in deep powdery snow and in summer it obviously keeps things clean. Don't actually use mine as a rope bag though, as my 12 year old Rock Empire rope bag that cost about 15 quid in the first place is still working fine.
 d508934 12 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:

can anyone tell me the benefit of the tie on tabs on the corners of rope bag sheet sections? I've got a couple on mine but never used them - any benefit to tying the end of my rope to them??
 Jenny C 12 Jul 2011
In reply to d508934:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> can anyone tell me the benefit of the tie on tabs on the corners of rope bag sheet sections? I've got a couple on mine but never used them - any benefit to tying the end of my rope to them??

Makes it easy to locate the "top" end of the rope.

Monk 12 Jul 2011
In reply to d508934:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> can anyone tell me the benefit of the tie on tabs on the corners of rope bag sheet sections? I've got a couple on mine but never used them - any benefit to tying the end of my rope to them??

It really helps you to very quickly find the ends of the rope, and the different colours allow you to know which end is on top. (Was this a serious question?)

d508934 12 Jul 2011
In reply to Monk:

admittedly it is pretty near the bottom of the important-questions-scale, but yes I am genuinely curious. never used them before - always put in bag coiled (as usually just carried it down from top of the crag).
 Monk 12 Jul 2011
In reply to d508934:
> (In reply to Monk)
>
> admittedly it is pretty near the bottom of the important-questions-scale, but yes I am genuinely curious. never used them before - always put in bag coiled (as usually just carried it down from top of the crag).

That's where you are going wrong! The beauty of a rope bag is that you never have to coil a rope again. Get your second to carry the bag up then just flake the rope into it, tying the bottom to one loop and the top to another. Then your rope is ready to go for the next route without having to uncoil it again.
In reply to d508934:

These loops actually have two purposes.

One, as someone has mentioned, is so that you can locate the top end of the rope.

The other REALLY important one is so that you can securely tie the other end of the rope to the bag so that when you use the rope next, you will not run the risk of dropping your leader when lowering them off a long pitch. The more you get into this habit of always securing the dead end of the rope to the rope bag, the less likely you are to drop someone.

Alan

My reply refers of course to sport climbing. When trad climbing I tend to do the same as the questioner and just store the coiled rope in the bag but use the bag on the ground when setting it up for the leader.

Hence, for trad climbing, these loops have no real purpose unless you do store the rope bundled in it.

Alan
 TobyA 12 Jul 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC: I've used a rope bag for years and as long as I'm climbing with a single rope, my 80% of my trad, I use the rope bag in exactly the same way I would for sport.

Obviously this is for single pitch only though.
 LennyJ1 12 Jul 2011
Going to have to go and buy a Ikea bag now. More expence!!!
 jimtitt 12 Jul 2011
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

And if you are smart you cut the stupid little factory things off and sew big ones on all four corners so you can get your hand through to carry the rope between routes. Also essential for slinging it between some trees to shelter from the inevitable Bavarian thunderstorms.

Jim
In reply to jimtitt:
> And if you are smart you cut the stupid little factory things off and sew big ones on all four corners so you can get your hand through to carry the rope between routes. Also essential for slinging it between some trees to shelter from the inevitable Bavarian thunderstorms.

Also a good idea.

Quite a few of those we reviewed actually had four tabs. I will try and go through the article and mention this although I haven't got all the rope bags here.

Alan

Carl Smethurst 12 Jul 2011

Nice review. I've been more than happy with my Quechua (how do you pronounce that?) ropebag from Decathlon. It's the one I see at the wall more than any other - maybe that's just because there's a Decathlon store a stone's throw from Stockport wall. Perfectly good bag for around £20 if I recall. Having said that, just glanced at their website and they don't seem to do them any more. Shame...

And I have two IKEA bags as well, but these tend to get used for bundling my trad gear rather than ropes.
 dave_steele 12 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: I can say the use of an IKEA bag does work! not the most fun to carry especially for a long walk into the climb but it is large enough to dumb 2 peoples gear in so can carry one strap each which shares teh weight, although you notice it in the arms after a decent climb! and for the price cant go wrong! (not for the proud peple out there of course!)
 sidewinder 13 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90149148 from ikea are particularly good, a bit squarer than the standard Ikea bag and with a zip. Now used for all the wall trips, what would be good would be a modified ikea bag where you could undo/unzip the ends to turn it into more of a tarp, otherwise one has to be quite precise with rope management to keep the rope in it when using it.
In reply to UKC Gear: The ideal rope bag for me would be one which is a combination of rucksack and tarp. The rucksack would be a front opening style and the tarp would be attached down one side but removable. There would be gear loops at the top of the rucksack to hang QD's from and perhaps another sealable compartment for shoes, to contain any smell, and a small wallet sized security compartment for keys and wallet. The tarp would have large loops to facilitate rope carries for short distances.

Al
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants:

That isn't too far from the La Sportiva one I tested. A bit uncomfy as a sack when full loaded but a waist-strap would easily sort that.

Chris
 Null 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to Al Randall)
>
> That isn't too far from the La Sportiva one I tested. A bit uncomfy as a sack when full loaded but a waist-strap would easily sort that.
>

I have one of those and I agree - a waist belt is sorely missed. Makes a great general travel bag as well.

In reply to Chris Craggs: I take it you are referring to the medium bag? It doesn't look as though it has the internal gear loops. I used to have a Grivel rucksack with these and really liked them as they helped to keep the weight in close to your spine and the bag tidy. It also looks as if it might carry a bit like a lump on your back. I would have thought longer and slimmer would be better.

I'm sure I could design some good gear given my experience and the opportunity. Lowe Alpine are quite innovative but they always seem to just miss the mark.

Al
 Babika 13 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear:
Very useful review - thanks

I wonder if IKEA are aware of their wonderful bag functionality?

I use it for wetsuits and boots all the time.
 Enty 13 Jul 2011
> (In reply to d508934)
> [...]
>
> These loops actually have two purposes.
>
> One, as someone has mentioned, is so that you can locate the top end of the rope.
>
> The other REALLY important one is so that you can securely tie the other end of the rope to the bag so that when you use the rope next, you will not run the risk of dropping your leader when lowering them off a long pitch. The more you get into this habit of always securing the dead end of the rope to the rope bag, the less likely you are to drop someone.
>
> Alan

Three!!!

If you leave the free end on the pile instead of tying it to the bag then next time you climb if it has moved underneath a loop you stand a good chance of getting a knot further down the rope.

Also - you should have tested the Quechua bag - mine's 3 years old and good as new.

E
 TobyA 13 Jul 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: See my upcoming Trad Pack review - currently with the editors. The BD Demon Duffel might be what you want.
 Charlie_Zero 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Carl Smethurst:
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC)
>
> Nice review. I've been more than happy with my Quechua (how do you pronounce that?) ropebag from Decathlon.

I'm another happy Quecha user.

It's both durable and comfortable to carry on the back when packed.
 SCC 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Charlie_Zero:

Does anyone know if Decathlon still do these? I looked the last time I was in one and couldn't see anything suitable.

Cheers,

Si
needvert 15 Jul 2011
I love my Metolius rope master. The pouch is makes packing the rope up much quicker. The lack of any padding/zips/heavy materials means it compacts down really small. I tend to throw it in the bottom of my pack so how much space the rope in bag takes up vs just the rope is important to me.

Sweet product. Haven't felt the need for two arm straps yet.
 Toerag 15 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC Gear: I can vouch for the Edelrid's suitability as a poncho after getting caught in a torrential downpour last month

Article now updated for the winter season with some new bags for 2012 including offerings from Climbing Technology and two new bags from Edelrid.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3625
 GrahamD 21 Oct 2011

Is there a difference between an IKEA bag and any other heavy duty (eg Tesco) shopping bag that makes an IKEA bag particularly good? when people talk of cheap rope bags its always "an IKEA bag".
 Gone 21 Oct 2011
In reply to GrahamD:

IKEA bags are massive compared to supermarket bags for life. Thicker too.
>
> Article now updated for the winter season with some new bags for 2012 including offerings from Climbing Technology and two new bags from Edelrid.
>
> Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=3625

Is this the correct link Alan? It reads the same as the one I read several weeks ago?

Al

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...