UKC

Adidas Fell Running Shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Jul 2011
Anyone any experience of Adidas fell running shoes?

Any good?

Mick
 Tony the Blade 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC:

I've got orange Swoops

They're great on general rough ground, dry rocks and grass, however don't dare launch onto a wet rock, you'll go flying! They have zero stickability on damp boulders - which can be quite a pain!
 Liam M 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: I have swoops, and quite like them for cross country and softer/boggy terrain. I find them a little unnerving on more solid terrain as you can feel the lugs wobbling under your feet, but aren't too bad until it gets rocky.

As for wet rock, I've never found any fell shoes that seem to stick to it that well - my road running shoes are about the best I've come across for slippy rock.
 The New NickB 14 Jul 2011
In reply to Liam M:

The soft rubber on my Innov8s, whilst not perfect, stick a lot better than the harder compound on my Adidas trail shoes (Kanadia).
 Liam M 14 Jul 2011
In reply to The New NickB: Fair enough. I've never used inov8 as I just don't find the last fits my foot comfortably, so it would probably be remiss of me to comment on their traction properties.
 chris_B 14 Jul 2011

I've got the Kanadia's, they're great! Really comfy, last ages, really good grip on everything. The sole pattern is lots of small nobbles (a bit like the montrail highlanders) rather a few big lugs which seems to work just as well. I had an older version which weren't great on wet rock but I replaced them with the latest version when they wore out and they're much better. As with all Adidas shoes they have quite a narrow fit. They're not as good as say walshes on technical traverses/contouring, but then nothing is. I used them in the lamm this year and they were perfect (but they might not have been if it had been a little wetter).

Oh and they're only £50 which is a bargain compared to any other trail/fell shoe I've seen.
 steveriley 14 Jul 2011
I'd go along with a lot of the above. I liked my Swoops and wore them down to slicks. Can feel a bit like wobbly stilts on solid ground. Watch the sizing, they're quite snug. Not had the Kanadias but they look like a good trail/trainer. Go up a half or full size on these too.
 mmmhumous 14 Jul 2011

Can't rate Kanadias highly enough (for the price anyway.) My wife and I, are on our 4th and 5th pairs respectively, and both of our first pairs (retired after ~1000km) are still in used for gardening/gig duty.

The grip/tread pattern is great for muddy stuff, and although they're pitched as at trail shoes: I've used mine for summer fell waking shoes, approach shoes, year round fell running shoes(they put quite a showing in amongst the runners in the "northern boys love gravy Christmas pudding fell race" at Tintwistle in December),and I've even done some road running in them (however I would only recommend using them on the road, if you're a fairly neutral runner, and/or doing short distances <1/2M)

Only things to be said against them, are: the toe shields could do with gluing on more firmly (doesn't seem to be an issue with newer models though), and and the mud blades in the tread pattern fit rather too snugly into the gaps on my car's accelerator pedal (with comedic/terrifying consequences).
ruttingstag 15 Jul 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: again swoops. good for cross country on grass and mud but i dont like them for solid or rocky ground, useless on tarmac, like running on ice.
 birdie num num 15 Jul 2011
I didn't like the swoops that much, I found one of the studs just in front of the midsole on the outside of each shoe dug into your foot as you ran and was quite uncomfortable, they were ok once I pared each one back with a sharp knife. I prefer the Mud Claws
 Banned User 77 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: I like them, really comfy, problem is they are lethal on wet rock. I wear them for general training and traily races like the yorkshire 3 peaks, but wore them on a paddy buckley support run last night, heavy rain on the glyders, lethal.

I think they've now stopped making them.
 chopin-smith 20 Jul 2011

I've used Kanadia TR3's and Adizero XT's -- both great shoes. The Kanadia's are great value.
Currently using Salomon SpeedCross's -- also nice, different feel though.
For x-country runs or shorter mountain runs the Adidas models are great. For longer plods where more support is needed I'd go with the Salomons.
 Michael Hood 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Mick Ryan - Senior Editor - UKC: I use Swoops for orienteering for which I think they're great - but as others have said, not good on rock.

If you've got thin or shallow feet (like mine) then Swoops should fit great.
 Timo Austino 20 Jul 2011
In reply to Michael Hood: As a trail shoe great but whilst the studs are long(ish) they're pretty poor on anything real steep and wet stuff.

As stud wear there is an optimal time where they're amazing - studs too short to wash out but still good enough to have a bit of bite.
 goosebump 22 Jul 2011
In reply to IainRUK:

Bought swoops a fortnight ago as a first trail shoe on the basis that wiggle had/has them at £30 a go and someone on here said they were good for skinny feet. But holy moly they are SKITTERY DOOM on rocks! On the other hand grassy or gravelly descents seem fine and I agree with Ian - they are really comfy.
 LastBoyScout 22 Jul 2011

Adidas Kanadia - no complaints, especially for the £35 I paid for them!

In fact, I've 2 pairs, as I picked up a spare pair in a sale for £25
sao 22 Jul 2011
I have Adidas Supernova Riots - they're great for me because I need plenty of cushioning. But I wouldn't buy them for any other reason. They're pretty clunky, and not that responsive.
 Ander 22 Jul 2011

I've not worn them, but a mate of mine who's done a fair few... ummm... off road adventures swears by 'em.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...