UKC

NEWS: FRI NIGHT VID: Accident in Canada

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Jul 2011
Benno Wagner in hospital, 4 kbFar from the dream trip they had envisioned, Toni Lamprecht and climbing partner Benno Wagner travel from Germany to establish new routes in the remote Adamants Range of British Columbia.

The resulting epic has a sobering lesson for all climbers.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=63081

JimboWizbo 15 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC News: Great video to watch before heading to the mountains climbing. I'm curious about what caused the fall though.
 Dave 88 15 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Haha I love that his main concern in hospital was that they didn't cut all his expensive gear off. What a champion!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 15 Jul 2011
In reply to JimboWizbo:

With the reference to 'a knot' it sounds like he abbed off the end of the rope.

Chris
 JimboWizbo 16 Jul 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs: I thought that. But it sounds like he was just cleaning holds and suddenly starting falling.

Think I'll tattoo "KNOT" to the back of my hand
Mattl Dn 17 Jul 2011
Why would they post a vid about the accident without explaining what caused the accident?
 jon 17 Jul 2011
In reply to JimboWizbo:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs) I thought that. But it sounds like he was just cleaning holds and suddenly starting falling.

I'd have thought in this context, he means cleaning gear - ie taking gear out, whilst jumarring, perhaps? So maybe he hadn't tied in to the rope or arrived at the belay and simply removed the jumars from the rope without attaching himself to it? Frankly I can't be bothered to watch it again to listen again - it took SO long to upload.
 Enty 17 Jul 2011
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to JimboWizbo)
> [...]
>
> I'd have thought in this context, he means cleaning gear - ie taking gear out, whilst jumarring, perhaps? So maybe he hadn't tied in to the rope or arrived at the belay and simply removed the jumars from the rope without attaching himself to it? Frankly I can't be bothered to watch it again to listen again - it took SO long to upload.

Don't worry - I only got about 90 seconds into it anyway.

E
 Mark Collins 17 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC News: I'm sure there's a sobering lesson in there somehere, bad weather aids progress through books?
Flashman 18 Jul 2011
In reply to UKC News: Lamprecht was saying something about Wagner setting up a top rope before he fell. It sounds like he wasn't tied in, or forgot to tie in, and just lost his balance. Also sounds like having the haul bag on his back may have saved his life.
Anyway, I can appreciate this video. I took a similar fall off a Canadian mountain, about 20 years ago, and I *wish* that they hadn't cut off my nice Patagonia jacket in the hospital, but I was unconscious so I couldn't protest.
BTW the Adamants are hardly "remote" as BC mountain ranges go. E.g., you're maybe 2 hours from the nearest McDonald's, in Golden.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...