UKC

Removing Karabiner from Quickdraw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
Yesterday I bought some Wild Country Astro quickdraws at the ridiculous price offered by Go Outdoors. I don't want quickdraws however, just karabiners, and it was cheaper to buy them this way. Unfortunately the quickdraws have got the little tadpole/retainer things on one end and the karabiner's won't budge! If I just pull like mad and rip the rubber retainer will the quickdraw's sling still be good to use if I decide at a later date I want quickdraws and not lone karabiners? Is there a trick to get the krabs off the rubber retainer?
 Monk 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller:

I've always managed to get the krabs out by slowly working the rubber retainer around and over the gate. However, if they snap, then the tape should be fine - at least I hope they will as I regularly climb on QDs with snapped rubber bits!
 Sir Chasm 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: Don't do it, you'll die.
OP Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Sir Chasm: That's what I feared.

I'll guess I'll just pull the buggers harder. Cheers guys.
 Sir Chasm 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller: If only mankind had invented some kind of sharp edged instrument you could use to sever the rubber.
 simondgee 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller:
You could just sacrifice the retainers (cut them off)) and then get some new ones few pence should you ever need them in the future.
OP Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Monk: Done. In fact this was very easy with two of them, just the others I'd tried required serious effort. Cheers
 TomBaker 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller:

Whats the price?
 Thelongcon 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Mr Fuller:

So, uh, whatcha doing with the sling?
OP Mr Fuller 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Andrewmorts: Keeping it for sport climbing (sorry )
 Swig 21 Jul 2011
In reply to simondgee:

New retainers can be improvised from lamb castration rings. This can be found on lying around for zero cost. Simply discard the furry bit.
 andybenham 21 Jul 2011
In reply to Swig:
> (In reply to simondgee)
>
> New retainers can be improvised from lamb castration rings. This can be found on lying around for zero cost. Simply discard the furry bit.

'O' rings do the job as well.
 wilkie14c 21 Jul 2011
In reply to andybenham:
Wet the crab and it'll slide through easy. I have the helium QDs and so does my partner so I swapped the crabs round on my set so we knew whos was whos, wet crab was the answer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...