UKC

THE LOWDOWN: Pou brothers onsights Il Pesce

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Eneko Pou on the slabs of Il Pesce, Marmolada, 3 kbPerhaps not the most impressive ascent in terms of shear numbers, but onsighting the 1220m/39 pitches Il Pesce a.k.a. The Fish on The Marmolada in the Italian Dolomites is always impressive.
Since its first ascent, from Koller and Sustr in 1981 it has remained a route which even the top climbers...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=63388
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Is this really newsworthy... a fairly hard ascent no doubt, but Calum Muskett and Rob Greenwood went and did this earlier this year and the Pou brothers have climbed far harder than this.

Obviously 39 pitches is long and its hard, I don't know what the usual style of ascent is on the Fish but I'm guessing its not headpointing??

Anybody think otherwise? I am fully prepared to change my stance if some can convince me...

DC
Removed User 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: "sheer numbers"
In reply to Duncan Campbell:
Well, it's debatable of course, but I liked their account about The Fish and figured this would make interesting reading for more than me. That's all.
gritstoner 02 Aug 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

By no means wanting to detract from the Pou's achievement, Hansjörg Auer's 2007 free solo of the route is one of the most mind-blowing achievements on rock in my book.

http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes/thefishfreesolo/
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Ah is there an account?? Missed that, fair doos then, will check it out!
 JimboWizbo 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Any topos or pitch by pitch grades of the route?
 Paul Crusher R 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: Didnt Twid turner do it years ago as well?
 flaneur 03 Aug 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:

I note the Pous do not include R*db*ll in their listed sponsors (although they are still logoed up in some of their photos).

Have they done the decent thing and decided not to take the vomitous-cough-mixture-pusher's 30 pieces of silver or have they been dropped?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...