UKC

Beal Edlinger rope - is yours wearing well?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Charlie_Zero 15 Aug 2011
I got a 60m Edlinger for a trip to France last week. Did three mornings of sport climbing on it, perhaps 12 climbs in total, with the kids top-roping the climbs after one of us had led them. By the end of the first morning it had gone quite oval-shaped in several sections, which I found surprising given than the lower off maillons were large, and the majority of the top-roping was done on two screwgates which gave a larger surface for the rope to run over. I had it at the wall today and it's still very oval shaped in sections. Neither of my other ropes have had this problem (one Wild Country and one Mammut). Anyone else had this issue? Did it get better or worse with more use?
 snoop6060 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Charlie_Zero:

Yes, but mine cost £49 for 60m so I cannot whinge. It does take some abuse too.
OP Charlie_Zero 15 Aug 2011
In reply to snoop6060:

Yours is oval too?
In reply to Charlie_Zero: Mine gave me 5 good years of good handling rope. I often thought it looked rather flat in places but I wasn't too concerned about it. if in doubt, get someone more qualified to take a look at it>?
 winhill 15 Aug 2011

yup
 Stuzz 15 Aug 2011

Mines a good few years old now and has lasted superbly to all sorts of abuse! Doesn't handle as well as it used to but has never deformed and become oval. If anything its stiffening up (Needs a good clean probably!).

Perhaps email Beal and ask their opinion?
 snoop6060 15 Aug 2011

Not as such, it just a bit stiff and doesn't handle that well. I wasn't expecting much and I don't really look after it.
 trouserburp 15 Aug 2011
In reply to Stuzz:
Mine's held up well to 4-5 years occasional use - cheapest rope I could find too. Maybe they've changed something over the years?
felixyoung 15 Aug 2011

Mine's taking a pounding but is still doing what it's told, strange really considering the price. At one point i was sure mine was counterfit aswell.
FiendishMcButton 16 Aug 2011

I've got a 35m that's taken hundreds of indoor falls. It still handles well and it does go a bit oval after a hard night but it goes back into shape when left in the bag. All the Beal edlingers i've used (5 different ropes) have gone oval but they all take some serious abuse, we usually climb 3 times a week indoors and out on sport.

thermal_t 17 Aug 2011
Yep mine goes oval after a night at the wall but always seems to spring back to it's initial shape. The only problem I had with mine was in the first week of owning it, took a big fall indoors and my belayer started to lower me off, he then stopped. The heat in the last quickdraw melted the sheath to where the core was visible. I've put this down to the rope being brand new and not having a bit of fuzz on the sheath to dissipate the heat and protect it. I've since cut the offending bit off and not had any further issues.
 Toerag 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Charlie_Zero: My topgun II went oval very quickly after using it indoors. It subsequently goes through periods of roundness and ovalness depending on what it's used for. It's never been wet. Perhaps it's a Beal trait?
 poeticshambles 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Charlie_Zero: I very nearly bought one of these as my first rope, but got a Mammut Vertex instead, slightly better deal at the time.
 Badam 18 Aug 2011
In reply to Charlie_Zero: I have used the 60m one for a few years with no distortion or any probs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...