UKC

Manchester Area Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
northern_matt 30 May 2003
Ok being fairly new to climbing I was looking for some hints on where I can go this weekend for some good top roping in the Manchester vicinity. Which rock is best for climbing in the hot weather?

Puzzled Matt.
Iain Ridgway 30 May 2003
In reply to northern_matt: if its hot head up onto the penines, not been there but laddow rocks (sp?) is meant to be Ok, will be cool anyway. I think theres quite a lot that side, look in the kinder BMC guide, Ive only climbed in the east of the kinder plateau, sheffield side.
OP Anonymous 30 May 2003
In reply to northern_matt:

Gritstone is great in the heat - not!
Iain Ridgway 30 May 2003
In reply to Anonymous: thing is unless you are really pushing the grades the heat isnt a problem, ive climbed up to E1 on grit nad never had a problem, above that you may possibly, but your just starting out arnet you?
In reply to Iain Ridgway: Yeah I've only really been climbing with my own gear regularly since christmas...when I got my first pair of 5.10's and ropes.

So the temp doesn't really make much difference on the rock unless you are climbing high grades??
Iain Ridgway 30 May 2003
In reply to northern_matt: no not at all, the only problem is the midges, why dont you get the train over to hathersage from manchester and climb on stanage, loads to do, can be busy, but generally youll find a quiet spot.
In reply to Iain Ridgway: Yeah...it seems such a big place to go without a guidebook...
 Phil West 30 May 2003
In reply to northern_matt: Chew valley will be lovely in this weather. 180 bus from Manchester to Greenfield. 25 minutes easy walk on lanes to Wimberry Boulders. Another 20mins. to Wimberry Rocks. There are loads of other cool grit crags there with loads at all grades and you will probably have the climbs and the stunning views to yourself.

If you've got transport, then you can park within 5 minutes of the boulders. Someone has nicked the Pay and Display machine! They should pay Stanage Plantation a visit......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...