UKC

Best boots for sweaty feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jerry67 17 Aug 2011
As the title really. Any recommendations for alpine boots that help to keep feet dry by wicking away sweat. Have had enough of blisters caused by my feet getting too sweaty. Cheers, Jeremy
 Toerag 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Jerry67: Can't help you on the boots, but I find reducing the temperature of therest of my body really helps with the sweaty feet - so try wearing shorts instead of trousers, or lighter weight clothes in general.
 Vaughany89 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Jerry67: What socks are you wearing, have you washed the inside of your existing boots and were you looking for a half boot or an over the ankle jobie?
 Vaughany89 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Vaughany89: My bad, didn't read the question properly. Ignore everything I just said apart from the socks bit and wash the inside of your existing boots with Nikwax Tech Wash to clean off all the salt and oils that can prohibit breathability. Proof the outside as well so that the fabric doesn't wet out and act as a barrier to the sweat vapour.
OP Jerry67 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Vaughany89: I mean a full alpine mountaineering boot. I tend to wear the lightest smartwool socks I can get away with. Means I can be a bit cold early mornings, but makes the descents to the huts more bearable.
 Joe G 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Jerry67:
I can't give you any specifics but I find boots with goretex linings tend to be sweaty, and of course plastic boots, so maybe a pair of good old fashioned leather boots will be best. I have used Scarpa SLs in the Alps but they're not really mountaineering boots, how about Scarpa Mantas?
 Dane1 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Jerry67:

try eliminating the problem first by rubbing soem good antiperspirant into your feet before you get started.
 Denni 17 Aug 2011
In reply to Jerry67:

Hi Jeremy,

I had the same problem as you, so for Alpine stuff I looked around for non leather, goretex free boots that will fit my feet, couldn't find any so still use my Scarpa Freneys and the way I got around the same problem you have, was to use Injinji liner crew socks:

http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/Injinji.html
(You'll have to scroll down)

Really good bit of kit and cheap enough.

Hope this helps, Den

OP Jerry67 18 Aug 2011
In reply to Denni: Thanks for that. Will try the liner socks, although I have to say I've never found liner socks any good before. They still seem to get wet and move around. Apparently botox in the feet works - might have to try that!!
Jerry
 Dane1 18 Aug 2011
In reply to Jerry67:

In case you thought I was joking, I wasn't.

Try eliminating the problem first by rubbing some good antiperspirant (Miitchums works well) into your feet before you get started. I use a paper towel to apply the stuff and then make sure your feet have dried before adding socks. Good coating will last several days on my feet.

Common idea here to keep your single boots and socks dry in cold weather without having to use a VB liner sock.
nedmoran 18 Aug 2011
In reply to Jerry67: I haven't been to the Alps, but in the UK and some of the worlds hotest countries, I rub talc on my feet before putting my socks on and take a small bottle on long trips. When i stop for something to eat, i take my socks off and do it again. Always works a treat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...