UKC

Ergk, midges!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AlexxelA 18 Aug 2011
Went to stanage this evening and was chased away by swarms of midges. They seemed impervious to repellant and were so thick it was hard to breath. Its warm and still tonight i suppose, but ive never known them that bad.

Was it bad everywhere this evening?
 OliBangbala 18 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA: Yeah pretty bad at wilton 3
 another_mark 18 Aug 2011
In reply to OliBangbala: Ilkley yesterday was pretty bad.
 birdie num num 18 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA:
Roaches yesterday was bad too
 Yanis Nayu 18 Aug 2011
In reply to birdie num num: Were you at the Roaches yesterday?
 chris fox 18 Aug 2011
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to AlexxelA)
> Roaches yesterday was bad too

They must have camped out, coz they were still there today !

In reply to wayno265:
Yep, did you see me?
 Yanis Nayu 18 Aug 2011
In reply to birdie num num: Whaddya look like?
 Franco Cookson 18 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA: Awful at Snotterdale yesterday and round crag today. It was so bad the usual crowds seemed to have disappeared...
In reply to wayno265:
Handsome
 Yanis Nayu 18 Aug 2011
In reply to birdie num num: No, didn't see ya. There was a scouse Tim Emmett lookalike competition winner there...
 coinneach 18 Aug 2011
In reply to wayno265:

No midges here in Northumberland tonight!!

But only because it's pishing down.
In reply to AlexxelA: Stop climbing on grit in the height of summer, stick to lovely limestone!! (Other rock types are available)
OP AlexxelA 18 Aug 2011
In reply to BlakeyDerbyshire: do midges dislike limestone?
Removed User 18 Aug 2011
In reply to BlakeyDerbyshire:

It's less keep of the grit and more keep of the moors. Pastureland grit like Chevin Butress the other night was nice and midge free.
 JayK 18 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA:

They love Kilnsey. Unfortunately....
Slugain Howff 18 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA:

None on Lochnagar today....but then our early frosts will have killed them off.
 phleppy 19 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA: High Neb on wednesday evening was awfull, locals said they'd never seen it so bad, belaying top or bottom was silly with quite litterally hands covered, roll on september or cold weather...never thought i'd say that!
bradzy_c 19 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA: Really bad at Wilton 3 Wednesday.
 The Reaper 19 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA:

Didn't even consider going out on the grit last night. Humid, still evening was just asking for trouble. Went to Willersley instead. Limestone's where its at on such evenings.
 Alex@home 19 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA:

was at chee tor from about 1 till 8 yesterday and didn't see a single midge. it was still and humid and the only problems we encountered were that it was a bit greasy and some of the routes didn't look like they'd been climbed this year and we had to do quite a bit of gardening.
oh, and the pishing rain as i seconded the last route which added considerably to the holds feeling greasy.
 gd303uk 19 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA: Yep Midges @ the Roaches on Wednesday where very bad, i was hanging around after a great days climbing, to watch 2 fellas on the Sloth but couldn't stay , i was being eaten alive, i felt for the belayer; while his mate was on the Sloth he was under an extreme midge attack. Jungle Formula was an aperitif for the little fekas.
 birdie num num 19 Aug 2011
In reply to gd303uk:
Are you the scouse Tim Emmet lookalike competition winner by any chance?
 gd303uk 19 Aug 2011
In reply to birdie num num: Aye, that could be me under a favourable light, you must be that handsome bloke with the map case, cagoule and breeches tucked into your red socks..
 Yanis Nayu 19 Aug 2011
In reply to birdie num num: He was, and I was the pathetic tw*t gibbering under the roof on The Sloth! I wouldn't have to much sympathy for my belayer though, it's the price to pay for being a custard doughnut scrounger. And to Tim Emmett, no I didn't do it and yes, I'm filled with self-loathing!
 Tiberius 19 Aug 2011
In reply to AlexxelA:

I've never seen any at Horseshoe
 gd303uk 19 Aug 2011
In reply to wayno265: Hey Wayno, that feeling of self loathing is familiar to me, you will get it next time, blame it on the midges and me shouting stuff up at you, while your belayer hid under a Tshirt. next time mate you will crush it.
 birdie num num 19 Aug 2011
In reply to wayno265:
I think you stood on the pedestal too long, then eventually talked yourself out of it. But then Num Num is always brave when he's watching someone else. Next Time!
 Yanis Nayu 19 Aug 2011
In reply to gd303uk: Cheers. I think I need to factor in a smidgen of cowardice too...
 Yanis Nayu 19 Aug 2011
In reply to birdie num num:
> (In reply to wayno265)
> I think you stood on the pedestal too long, then eventually talked yourself out of it. But then Num Num is always brave when he's watching someone else. Next Time!

Num Num, as ever, is right. I can't believe I was in the presence of Num Num without knowing. A bit like touring around Old Trafford then finding out afterwards that Bobby Charlton was there...
 Ramblin dave 20 Aug 2011
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to blakey21)
>
> It's less keep of the grit and more keep of the moors. Pastureland grit like Chevin Butress the other night was nice and midge free.

Ah, right. I always assumed that if it was midgey you'd go to the highest, windiest, most remote place possible eg Back Tor or Kinder. But it seems the opposite is true...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...