UKC

New stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Matt Schwarz 10 Sep 2011
My jetboil has died on me 2 days before ml assessment, any recommendations for a new stove? Thinking msr titan kettle and something small and gas powered
 Ciderslider 10 Sep 2011
In reply to Matt Schwarz:

Just started using a jetboil sol titanium - very nice !
 Sheffield Sam 10 Sep 2011
A friend of mine has one of these and seems to rate it....

http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/optimus-products/products/katadynshopconn...

Sam
ice.solo 10 Sep 2011
In reply to Ciderslider:

yeah, the new jetboil range is quite an improvement.

been using the sumo for a while, rigged with a hanging set up (my own) and will likely replace the old reactor come winter. not quite as efficient, but far better for bivvys.
 walkingOn 10 Sep 2011
In reply to Matt Schwarz: What happened with the Jetboil ??
In reply to Matt Schwarz: Trangia. Sure its big and bulky. But it will NEVER let you down.
 Andy Mott 10 Sep 2011

I use the Titan Kettle and Optimus Crux and rate both very highly. I guess it depends on what you're used to and what you already have though - to buy both of these will set you back pretty much what a Jetboil Sol Titanium will (although with potentially more versatility). Another option is a cheaper stove, like the Pocket Rocket, which should be cheaper if you need both parts, but it's not quite as sexy

OP Matt Schwarz 10 Sep 2011
In reply to Jgh69: i think something is clogged inside, the rubber seal where the canister connects looks knackered. it was giving out a very weak flame last night, then went to nothing worked fine last time i used it, but for some reason gas didnt re seal when removed so not sure if the 2 are related.
matt
 SCC 10 Sep 2011

Matt, have you tried another gas cartridge?

I've seen instances of the valve being faulty, so you get sufficient supply when it's a full can, but as the pressure drops off, the supply drops too far for the stove to work.

HTH

Si
OP Matt Schwarz 11 Sep 2011
In reply to SCC: fresh gas doesn't help unfortunately
 Dave 88 11 Sep 2011

I've been using a pocket rocket for the last few weeks and I'm very impressed.
 Sheffield Sam 11 Sep 2011
It could be worth dropping jetboil an e-mail to see what they suggest? Never know it may get you somewhere.
 SCC 11 Sep 2011

B*gger.

As for other stoves...

The Optimus Crux is a nice stove, the burner head folds down so it will fit in the dome underneath a gas cannister. But I've found that the burner head wobbles a bit, which can be an issue of the pot is tall (and therefor more liable to tipping over).
They do a fixed headed version though:
http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/trek-and-travel-stoves-trekking/optimus/opti...

I don't like the MSR pocket rocket, the pot stands are flimsy and the flames spread is too small (IMO). Other people rate it for boiling water but I think you can get better stoves for the same or less cash.

If you're looking at using it in cold conditions (and have cash to spare!) then this looks interesting:
http://www.rockrun.com/products/SOTO-Micro-Regulator-Stove.html

Having said all that - you can probably get Jetboil to either fix or replace your burner (prob not for free..) so you could go for a cheap stove and pot combo to get you by until you can get your Jetboil sorted?

Si

> i think something is clogged inside, the rubber seal where the canister connects looks knackered.

A 'knackered' rubber seal may be preventing the stove mating with the canister valve properly, thus not opening the Lindal valve on the gas. This will result in poor performance of the stove.

I discovered this a few weeks back, thinking I'd run out of gas. I hadn't; I'd just not screwed the burner on hard enough, and, as it warmed up, it must have expanded and released the valve a bit, thus reducing gas flow. Solved by a quick twist of the burner on the canister...

Or it could (as you suspect) be that the gas path in the burner is blocked; corrosion, for instance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...