UKC

Kilt Rock (Skye) and Reiff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Adam Lincoln 13 Sep 2011
Got a long weekend up in Scotland this coming weekend. Forecast is ok for Reiff, but Skye looking like heavy rain on Saturday. Does it hold much seepage? Hopefully get a day or two at each venue.
 Mike Lates 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Kilt dries very fast having less vegetation or lichen than neist, flod or staffin. Main face is best so I'd recommend taking an ab rope but SS special (staffin special in some books) rightwards are good too (Skyeman, Tartan Terror). Also tends to stay dry in westerlies a whole lot more than the mountains so don't give up hope as you pass the Slig. best of luck.
OP Adam Lincoln 13 Sep 2011
In reply to mike lates:

Nice one Mike.
Will a 50 metre get me down with belay setup?
 Colin Moody 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

Probably pushing it a bit with 45m routes, Grey Panther finishes 5m from the belay.
 Dave Ferguson 13 Sep 2011
take a spare bit of rope to rig, as the stakes are a little bit back, or take 60's
OP Adam Lincoln 13 Sep 2011
In reply to Dave Ferguson:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
> take a spare bit of rope to rig, as the stakes are a little bit back, or take 60's

Got 60's, so all good. Just hope weather plays ball!

Andy Nisbet 13 Sep 2011
>
> Got 60's, so all good. Just hope weather plays ball!

50m ropes worked fine for Grey Panther some 3 weeks ago, with about a metre to spare

OP Adam Lincoln 14 Sep 2011
Can anyone recommend a weather site that seems to be reliable for the Reiff and Skye areas. Kind of need to pick an area really, out of the two and stick to that. With it only being a weekend, the drive between the two might be a bit much.

Thanks for all the help guys!
 skog 14 Sep 2011
> Can anyone recommend a weather site that seems to be reliable for the Reiff and Skye areas.

Met Office is about as good as it gets (though there's always the temptation to 'shop around' for the forecast that looks best!). With it being West coast, you're at the mercy of the Atlantic weather systems, so you're usually just best to see what's on its way and think about what to do if the timing isn't as predicted! Or wait for a settled period of high-pressure Easterlies, when it'll usually be great.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/he_forecast_weather.html
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

The weather at Reiff (and many of the other peninsulas in the NW) is often a bit better than further inland; I've often gambled on Reiff and won. I don't know about Kilt Rock.
 Andy Nisbet 14 Sep 2011
In reply to skog:
> (> The weather at Reiff (and many of the other peninsulas in the NW) is often a bit better than further inland; I've often gambled on Reiff and won. I don't know about Kilt Rock.

I did the same with Kilt Rock last month. But you don't always win.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...