UKC

Advancement in climbing technology (Gecko Glue)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ad 03 Jun 2003
I read this on a technology web site, if it works its gonna make climbing interesting, the whole is it cheating debate will reach new heights, E10 will be piss and E20 will probably be some loose blank wall up el cap!!!!

If it becomes available would you use it!!!!!

Gecko Glue
Watch out Spider-Man, make way for Gecko Man. U.K. researchers have developed an adhesive based on the gecko's sticky feet that they said could someday help humans scale walls. U.S. researchers discovered last year that tiny hairs called setae help the critters stick to surfaces. And adhesive developer Andrew Geim said geckos offer a more realistic model for scaling walls then spiders do. "Spider-Man is a fiction, the non-science one and will ever remain in comics. On the other hand, Gecko Man ... now it seems to be rather close to reality." A gecko using all of its setae could support 280 pounds. "If human palms were covered by this adhesive material," added Geim, "it would support the weight of an average human."
ad 03 Jun 2003
In reply to ad:
oh yeah and heres a link to the new scientist article

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99993785
Mark Tolver 03 Jun 2003
In reply to ad:

It'd take all the fun out of it. But gear placements on the other hand...
ad 03 Jun 2003
In reply to Mark Tolver:
Id agree that short routes etc would be boring but imagine soloing up some huge granite wall somewhere how cool!!!!

I ssuppose u could make gear patches to stick on the wall but theyd have to be quite big!!! Let the bolt chopping begin lol!
OP EB 03 Jun 2003
In reply to ad: aye, wouldnt make any difference to winter climban though!
Brian_from_Bozeat 03 Jun 2003
In reply to ad: I have a question - how on earth would you let go! I mean you place two hands on the rock and you cant let go to move them. Am I missing the point? should I just go with it and say - Hey that would be great, Imagine being able to hang on the ceiling of Kylies bedroom! but I cant. I'm all confused now.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...