UKC

Next mountaineering book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 14 Sep 2011
Ok, just about to finish Learning to Breathe (Andy Cave) and have recently really enjoyed Psychovertical (Andy Kirkpatrick) & Beyond the Mountain (Steve House).

Looking for another mountaineering book (scary photo section preferred). What would the discerning members of UKC recommend?
 Milesy 14 Sep 2011
It is apt for me to recommend: The Mountains of my Life by Walter Bonatti. Not really a photo book though.
 Mike-W-99 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Milesy:
Just re-read The Beckoning Silence (Joe Simpson) which is very enjoyable. Quite funny too in places by his standards, esp the canadian ice climbing chapter.
Scary picture section as well.
 tony 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Milesy:
> It is apt for me to recommend: The Mountains of my Life by Walter Bonatti. Not really a photo book though.

I'd second that. Everyone should read that book.
 Jamie Hageman 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus: I've just read The Burgess Book Of Lies, and thought it was brilliant! One of the most enjoyable I can remember. I'm about to start Aat Vervoorn's Mountain Solitudes (can't wait) when I've finished Victor Saunders' No Place To Fall (good, but a bit short).
 Simon Caldwell 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:
Troll Wall (Tony Howard). Unputdownable - should have been a shoo-in for the Boardman Tasker but unaccountably hasn't made the short list.
 Siward 14 Sep 2011
In reply to Toreador:
A short walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby. Hilarious
 Bobling 14 Sep 2011
A bunch more recommendations here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=467071&v=1#x6540592, I wish there was some way to make a thread a sticky!
OP Flinticus 15 Sep 2011
Great. Looks like I won't be running short of options for a while yet.

I see no-one has actually recommended Beyond the Mountain so I will. Its a great book and Steve House climbs alpine style so his accounts make for gripping reading.
TeshiLapcha 15 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:

My Vertical World by Jerzy Kukuczka
Learning to Breath by Andy Cave
Starlight & Storm by Gaston Rebuffat
Touching my father Soul by Jamling Tenzing Norgay
The White Spider by Heinrich Harrer
On Thin Ice by Mick Fowler
The Boardman Tasker Omnibus
Psychovertical by Andy Kirkpatrick
Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage by Herman Buhl

So many great books out there.
TeshiLapcha 15 Sep 2011
In reply to TeshiLapcha:

Also looking at what you have read, another good one

Kiss or Kill by Mark Twight

And if you are into Mental climbers - Tomaz Humar by Bernadette McDonald
 Graham 16 Sep 2011
In reply to TeshiLapcha:
I thought that Tomaz Humar was one of the worst books about climbing I've ever read - a heavily slanted view of Tomaz's life. Almost as poorly written as "Killing Dragons".

Some I'd recommend - also Kiss or Kill, but it's more of a collection of articles than a "book"
One of my favorites is Spy on the Roof of the world - by a welsh climber about sneaking into Tibet in the early 60's and getting caught by the chinese.
Heinrich Harrer - The white spider
 halo 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:
> Ok, just about to finish Learning to Breathe (Andy Cave) and have recently really enjoyed Psychovertical (Andy Kirkpatrick) & Beyond the Mountain (Steve House).
>
> Looking for another mountaineering book (scary photo section preferred). What would the discerning members of UKC recommend?

Well since the passing of one Walter Bonatti http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/ After reading the news I'm definately inspired to read more about him and his ascents. One in aprticular: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountains-My-Life-Modern-Library/dp/037575640X

In reply to Siward:
> (In reply to Toreador)
> A short walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby. Hilarious

Seconded, a wonder they ever got anywhere!
 Trangia 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:

"The Last Blue Mountain" by Ralph Barker. The stuff of nightmares when the team take a fall, loose ice axes and crampons and are faced with the almost impossible task of getting back alive. Harrowing.
 DreadyCraig 16 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus:
I've just started reading a book I picked up in a second hand shop for a few quid. It's "The great climbing adventure" by John Barry (no not THAT one). I'm only one chapter in but it's a great read. Never heard anyone mention it on UKC
OP Flinticus 19 Sep 2011
Well, went for Rock Athlete: seems to fllow on nicely from Learning to Breathe.

However, all your other recommendations have not been in vain: they will serve as my reading menu into the distant future.
 Dee 19 Sep 2011
In reply to Flinticus: I'd add 3 titles from Greg Child that I've really enjoyed reading and re-reading over the years:-

1. 'Thin Air'
2. 'Mixed Emotions'
3. 'Postcards from the Ledge'

Was really lucky this year, had the chance to meet Greg and discuss writing at the NZ Mtn Film Festival in Wanaka. He delivered the main lecture and added details to accounts of climbs in 'Thin Air' and 'Mixed Emotions'...he also introduced Lydia Bradey's lecture, a very good speaker in her own right.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...