UKC

Swanage stake bashing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scott titt 19 Sep 2011
Here are the dates for this Autumn's Swanage stake bashing sessions.
Sun 16 Oct 9-12am, and Sun 23 Oct 9-12am.
Sun 30 Oct 9-12am is the reserve date if either event is rained off.
The target for this Autumn is to finish replacing stakes at the top of the Ruckle, from Ruckle Central to Lean Machine.
Many of the old stakes are very rusty and need replacing fairly urgently.
I have new the stakes (50 of them); but they need beating into the cliff-top, this is brutal, hard work-hence the short sessions (and you have a chance too climb once the sun has warmed the cliff).
Gloves, safety glasses, coffee and Dorset apple cake will be provided. Sledge hammers will be provided, if you have one please bring it along BUT only if it is in excess of 10lbs, lighter 7lb hammers don't have any impact on these beasts. Ideally bring a couple of prop forwards, the average climber is too leanly built to swing the big hammer for long-be warned. A harness and rigging rope can be useful for trhose stakes nearer the cliff edge.
There will be some loppers provided to cut scrub around the stakes for those too lightly built for hammering.
Please let me know if you can come by posting here.Thanks in anticipation
Scott

The Pylon King 19 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt:

Hi Scott,

Again thanks very very much for the bolting and child care last week!
I was going to email you and say that i owe you a favour in return so maybe i should get down for some bashing!

Mark
 nniff 19 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt:

I'm afraid I can't make it, but that's a serious post - can you not get a psot driver to get them most of the way in at least:
http://www.stantonhope.com/Tools_26_Equipment_020801_Drivall_Post_Driver_.a...

Let alone the heft of the thing, you an get two people on them. Know any friendly fencing contractors?

Save a bit on smashed sledge hammer handles too.
 cfer 19 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt: I would be willing to help but have no transport down. If anyone is coming from London(heathrow area) and wants to share a lift to help out I would be more than willing.

kedvenc72 19 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt:
I can make it, give lifts and can also bring a home made post ram (like the one in the post above) that may be of some help starting the stakes off.
 cfer 19 Sep 2011
In reply to kedvenc72: Where are you coming from?
 kedvenc72 19 Sep 2011
In reply to caseyfather:
Near to Horsham. Any good?
 cfer 19 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt: Yes that would be great if I could cadge a lift with you on any of the days you are going, obviously will share petrol costs. I'm only in Shepperton so could meet anywhere that is good for you.

Cheers
 kedvenc72 19 Sep 2011
In reply to caseyfather:
ok, e mail me closer to the time. I go through Petersfield on the way down which must be on a main train line from you?
 cfer 19 Sep 2011
In reply to kedvenc72: Sounds perfect, will email you closer to the dya with train times and we can go from there
 jamespilgrim 20 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt:
Having been exploring the Ruckle of late I would be happy to lend a hand. Might be able to make Sunday 23rd October, although at 9st I might not make ideal sledge hammering material! If I don't reply to this thread nearer the time feel free to email via ukc me to remind me.
James
 Simon4 20 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt: Sorry Scott, would be happy to help again but bits of arm not joined up.

Anyone who can get along who climbs at the Ruckle should go, Scott is very well organised and you really, really want to be able to trust those stakes!
 dswansonlow 20 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt:

Heya Scott,

I ll send an email around the southampton uni mountaineering club and try and get a few people down. We are really keen to help out with developing the local area! The 23rd is a more likely date because we have a trip organised on the 16th.

All the best,

Dougie
President of SUMC
OP scott titt 29 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt:
A shameless bump to get this thread up and running again, I am away in Sicily from 4-11 Oct and need to gauge response before then.
Scott
 cfer 29 Sep 2011
In reply to scott titt: and another bump
 john1 12 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt: I would like to help out on Sunday 16th. Are you meeting in the car park?
In reply to scott titt: would have come down to help but didnt see this till today. Unfortunatly work on the 23rd and its SIBL on the 16th. Do you have some sort of mailing list?
 Fatclimber 12 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt: Hi Scott, I was all set to volunteer, but as I have a 2 1/2 hour drive 9am was just way to early. Have you considered afternoon sessions?
 LaMentalist 12 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt:

I should be able to make the sunday (16th) will try and bring me bigger buddy with me too & a couple of 14 pounders , need to get my car sorted by friday though . Hope to see you all down there . Stay safe peeps .
OP scott titt 15 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt:
The cake is baked and the forecast is good. I hope to see you at the Durlston Country Park car park (SW corner) at 9am.
Scott
 iClimber 15 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt:
Hello,
only just read this thread. I live in poole, I can;t make the dates but I could lend you a post rammer if you want one for the 30th as long as its back with me on the sunday night.
thanks and good luck
 Adam Hughes 16 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt: where can you get stakes from? I could do with 2 or 3
OP scott titt 16 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt:
many thanks to
Leon Dobbie
John Anthony
Pete Amy

who beat in another 8 stakes today and then enjoyed some climbing in T-shirts at sunny Swanage.
OP scott titt 19 Oct 2011
In reply to scott titt:
The follow-up dates (23 & 30 Oct) have been cancelled.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...