UKC

Please rate UKClimbing (easy multiple choice)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sugardrive 21 Sep 2011
If you could spare around 5 minutes on a multiple-choice questionnaire about UKClimbing that would be brilliant.

The survey ‘What makes online communities successful?’ is part of some non-commercial research I'm doing. So, not only will you be helping provide UKClimbing with info that can be used to make it a better place, but you’ll be helping me with my MSc studies too.

For full info about the study - follow the link on the first page of the questionnaire.

Here’s the link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ukclimbing

Thanks.

Posted with permission of UKClimbing
 marsbar 21 Sep 2011
In reply to sugardrive: Could do with a n/a or don't know option on the last bit maybe?
 Glansa 21 Sep 2011
In reply to sugardrive:

As above, I had the choice between answering questions on aspects of the community I don't know/care about with made up answers or just giving up. I gave up.
sugardrive 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Nick B, Another One: Good points noted there. Thanks and I'll add the n/a options in the next few mins....
 Glansa 21 Sep 2011
In reply to sugardrive:

Ok, I'll revisit after lunch!
 Kevster 21 Sep 2011
In reply to sugardrive:

In the first question, it says about "how the community manages..."
Does this mean how the user comunity manages, or
How the mods/operator manage the community/web pages/forum etc.

Basically, what does "comunity" actually encompass?

Naturally some items aren't really down to users to administer.

I think I may not be jargon literate, but it'll bias your survey if thickies like me don't actually understand the question fully.
In reply to sugardrive: A third party using UKC to encourage people to judge it. Cheeky!

Al
sugardrive 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Kevster: Thanks, Kevster. Humbly, there are no thickies when it comes to surveys - only questionnaires that need clarity. The definition in this context should be 'operators/mods/admins' rather than members. I'll see if I can squeeze that in without overloading the copy too much.
sugardrive 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Gaston Rubberpants: Aw, it's not like that. It's just UKC supporting me, the student, to get my MSc by allowing me to gather essential data for my research. Anonymous data is available to UKC admins to use for improving things for the community wherever possible/appropriate. (Non-commercial research) All I need are a 100 responses so thanks to everyone who's filled it in already. We're at 48 so please keep it going! I'll try to update the counts intermittently so you know when we're almost there. 51 now..
In reply to sugardrive:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MSc mean 'Master of Science'? Which leaves two obvious, baffling questions: 1. Just what do multiple choice questionnaires have to do with science? 2. Just how can UKClimbing be a subject for scientific study? Social science, perhaps?? I'm fascinated.
sugardrive 21 Sep 2011
In reply to Gordon Stainforth: Hooray! We're at 63 so getting there. Yes, sci and social is a fuzzy blur when it comes to online communities and that makes it pretty tough to study. Tech/net meets charming human nature - and works somehow!
 elsiem 21 Sep 2011
In reply to sugardrive: just completed it....how many are you on?
sugardrive 22 Sep 2011
In reply to elsiem: Thanks so much. We're at 90. Only 10 to go now...
sugardrive 22 Sep 2011
In reply to sugardrive: We're there! We've reached 100 so a big thank you to UKClimbing admins and specifically to the community who filled in the survey! Onwards with analysis now…
Mots d'Invers 22 Sep 2011
In reply to sugardrive:

Done it, but you should have made much more of a distinction between the community (as in users), and moderators/owners in your questions. For example, as far as I know the mods have never organised offline events, but the user community regularly do so.

Based on your answer to another poster above, I've assumed that whenever you mentioned "community", you were referring to the mods/admins/owners, and answered accordingly.
sugardrive 22 Sep 2011
In reply to Mots d'Invers: Thanks. Yes, it's tough to keep the survey content 'light' but your point's worth considering regarding clear definitions. I'll look to change other surveys running. Offline events are actually known to be one of the biggest (most influential) factors in the prospects of success for a community. Offline events or meetups encourage new weak bonds (weak associations connecting people who may not become good friends but give access to new contacts who then become good friends etc.) Offline events also, of course, strengthen strong bonds (good friendships). Together, weak and strong bonds build and nurture entire communities. UKClimbing exhibits many traits of a very strong community. Thanks again. Over and out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...