UKC

Quickdraw lifespan in open weather?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
0Unknown0 26 Sep 2011
I have put a few routes up around the Dominican Republic and Haiti over the years, and even like to think I'm responsible for kick starting interest into it here, and it has become,,,,,,,,,,,well, not popular but it exists.
Anyway, I had a drive out the other day, just to look at some of my venues, see what is going on and I was shocked to people still clipping into quickdraws I hooked up 4 or 5 years ago. These things have been open to tropical weather all this time, surely they must be past it by now. But on further consideration I have seen draws that look older in Europe. Is there an unspoken rule of how long to leave these up. I haven't clipped all the lines just left draws in the tops of ones I can't yet complete, and I kind of never got around to them.
It will be a long time before I am well enough to get them down or inspect them closer, so just a thought.
 Toerag 27 Sep 2011
In reply to Dominicandave: You should list the climbs on here (if you haven't done so already) and put notes in to say how old the draws are. Then encourage the local to log their routes here.
In reply to Dominicandave: When you say quickdraws, do you mean 2 crabs with a dyneema tape? Or biners and chains? If you mean the former then the UV damage to the "soft kit" - dyneema/nylon will be potentially lethal after 4 years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...