UKC

Womens Climbing Symposium

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
ShaunaCoxsey 27 Sep 2011
premier post photo
The Women’s Climbing Symposium

November 5th 10am - 6pm at The Climbing Hangar Liverpool

The first National women’s climbing symposium aims to have a positive impact on the culture of women’s climbing. Its objective is to increase participation and enjoyment gained from climbing by helping women take ownership of their own climbing experience.

The day will involve a host of elite women climbers both UK and international, to coach, advise and to share their experiences. We want you to walk away with tools you can use to transform your own climbing experience the way you want it transforming.

What the day will include:

• 3 climbing sessions

• Self limiting behaviours – exposed and addressed

• Media Representation panel discussion involving you, the editors and women in the media

• A different angle – The pro climbers each present and coach a key area; angles, hold type, movement

• The Gender Project: Revealing short film on the boyfriend and girlfriend climbing experience

• Self coaching – Three key points and one common device that can help you keep on improving, allowing you to help you.

• Dad and daughters/Moms and daughters workshops: Short talk on managing and nurturing these relationships to keep them positive and progressive.

FILL OUT OUR SURVEY - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ClimbingQuestionnaire2011

November 5th 10am – 6pm, The Climbing Hangar Liverpool

TICKETS: £20 must be bought in advance (free for parents of participants)
PHONE: 0151 3450587
EMAIL: womensclimbing@gmail.com

SPONSORS: The BMC, 5.10, MuleBar, UKC
 Ann Davis 29 Sep 2011
In reply to ShaunaCoxsey:

please tell me this is a joke! unbelievable and the poster...which self respecting woman goes to the climbing wall in a skimpy skin tight mini dress.

I`m sure this is an early april fools or just a saddo lads joke well done you got me riled!

Just to help you out `Women can Climb without men children family` and we dont need your `help` to feel better about doing what we do naturally gracefully and differently than men. I wont pay to be patronised
 halo 30 Sep 2011
In reply to Ann Davis: Ann take a look at the woman holding the child spotting ffs! How photoshopped can you get?
 Ann Davis 30 Sep 2011
In reply to halo:

!!!!!!!!! the more I look the more the designer needs to go back to school preferably to one that teaches `graphic design in 2011` with an understanding of social history. flippin eck
 peas65 30 Sep 2011
In reply to Ann Davis:

Pretty sure one of those women is a netball player too rather than a climber, i like the idea of a female get together but not the suggested topics.
 Yanis Nayu 30 Sep 2011
In reply to Ann Davis:
> (In reply to ShaunaCoxsey)
>
> please tell me this is a joke! unbelievable and the poster...which self respecting woman goes to the climbing wall in a skimpy skin tight mini dress.

Unfortunately none. I'm hoping it will catch on though.
 LastBoyScout 30 Sep 2011
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

One of the Venture Scout girls once turned up to go climbing in a mini skirt.

The boys were practically fighting over who got to belay her!
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I think you are all being pretty harsh, Shauna is organising an event aimed at female climbers, offering coaching, encouragement and generally trying to help you climb better and get more enjoyment from the sport etc. If you dont like it then you dont have to go but there is no need to bad mouth the event! I know a lot of female climbers (male ones too) who at times feel intimidated or uncomfortable when at the wall or unwilling to really push themselves when others are watching etc. If this event is here to help people with that then surely it must be a good thing!

Si
 teflonpete 01 Oct 2011
In reply to Ann Davis:
> (In reply to ShaunaCoxsey)
> Just to help you out `Women can Climb without men children family` and we dont need your `help` to feel better about doing what we do naturally gracefully and differently than men. I wont pay to be patronised

And yet all your climbing has been with a man, who has led everything for you to follow, apart from a few easy leads that you've done yourself. You are the stereotypical middle aged female climber that could really benefit from something like this symposium, which might provide you with the psychological tools to step up. Instead, you've decided to do the easy thing by clucking around and making a fuss about how you feel affronted that someone is trying to put together a workshop to help some women recognise and overcome some of the things that hold them back.

To the OP, cracking idea, the poster could be a bit better but it sounds like a good day and a good line up of top class climbers. Good luck.
In reply to Ann Davis:

I think you have taken this event totally out of context.

It's obviously aimed at helping people from all backgrounds try and improve their climbing and not solely for the elite.

I can't belive you have started your own seperate thread to spout more negativity against something which will likely benefit many of those who attend. Unbelievable.
 ClimberEd 04 Oct 2011
In reply to Rock Over Climbing:
> (In reply to LastBoyScout)
>
> I think you are all being pretty harsh, Shauna is organising an event aimed at female climbers, offering coaching, encouragement and generally trying to help you climb better and get more enjoyment from the sport etc. If you dont like it then you dont have to go but there is no need to bad mouth the event! I know a lot of female climbers (male ones too) who at times feel intimidated or uncomfortable when at the wall or unwilling to really push themselves when others are watching etc. If this event is here to help people with that then surely it must be a good thing!
>
> Si

I think the protagonists got slated in another thread. (and serves them right)
 Ann Davis 04 Oct 2011
In reply to ClimberEd: I hold my hands up high and conclude my post was a `big` kneejerk reaction.. something pressed a button sorry but it was mainly the use of imagery, maybe like some folk have implied ..` I doth protest too much` will go away and think about why.
I apologise to Shauna -I`m sorry hope its a good day for all that partake.
I love spending time at the wall with my friends - male and female I just don`t climb outdoors with any of my female friends because of work patterns.
I hope the day is a success I`m not a malicious person far from it hope those involved have a fun and get something from it. I cant go as I dont have much time off at the moment maybe that`s why I`m so grumpy! not been climbing for ages!
 Denni 06 Oct 2011
In reply to Ann Davis:

As this is a premier post that someone has paid for and someone is trying to gain some interest and business by showing initiative, wouldn't it be prudent for the negative posts to be removed?

Maybe prospective attendees may be put off by the negative outburst therefore putting them off taking up or continuing climbing. Just a thought.
 Ann Davis 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Denni:
> (In reply to Ann Davis)
>
> As this is a premier post that someone has paid for and someone is trying to gain some interest and business by showing initiative, wouldn't it be prudent for the negative posts to be removed?
>
> Maybe prospective attendees may be put off by the negative outburst therefore putting them off taking up or continuing climbing. Just a thought.

maybe its even better to see that I had an opinion some of it valid but more importantly I calmed down and listened to feedback and apologised... no need to protect adults from being human
 Denni 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Ann Davis:

Not really, if you took a more considered approach in the first place and thought about it before making a knee jerk reaction then you wouldn't have to apologise would you?

Besides, because you can't go because of time constraints and the fact you are grumpy because you haven't been climbing lately isn't really a balanced argument now is it? And these points shouldn't really have any bearing on your view towards the event now should it?
Nicole8000 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Ann Davis:

I think you need to take a closer look at the picture and what it is trying to represent. To me its trying to show that no matter what your background, interest, whether your a mum, toyboy, wear a mini dress, climbing can be for anyone. If you look, the women's face is the same, its just the outfits that are different. A crude way of showing it? possibly but it is difficult to argue against the event.
 Ann Davis 08 Oct 2011
In reply to Denni:
>
> Not really, if you took a more considered approach in the first place and thought about it before making a knee jerk reaction then you wouldn't have to apologise would you?
>
> Besides, because you can't go because of time constraints and the fact you are grumpy because you haven't been climbing lately isn't really a balanced argument now is it? And these points shouldn't really have any bearing on your view towards the event now should it?

You tend not take a considered approach just before you `knee jerk`and if you look at the forum post that followed my other thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=477382&v=1#x6585629 you`d see from the survey that time and money are important issues in making climbing accessible to all.
 Ann Davis 08 Oct 2011
In reply to Nicole8000:
>
> I think you need to take a closer look at the picture and what it is trying to represent. To me its trying to show that no matter what your background, interest, whether your a mum, toyboy, wear a mini dress, climbing can be for anyone. If you look, the women's face is the same, its just the outfits that are different. A crude way of showing it? possibly but it is difficult to argue against the event.

my point was I don`t need to be patronised by the imagery used I know climbing is for anyone regardless of gender, ability etc...even the designer of the poster has agreed it wasn`t done very well
Daniellezll 11 Oct 2011
In reply to ShaunaCoxsey:

Barring the fact that the poster probably isn't the most feminist friendly (And I'm not shy to jump on my high horse), the set up for the day looks pretty damn good, and it's definitely meant well from what I can see. The line up of climbers/debates/talks looks top notch, especially the talk from Alex Puccio if it gets confirmed.

My climbing partner would probably don a wig if I begged but I'd feel a little harsh... If anyone needs a lift I'd be more than happy to trade vehicle for some company so I don't have to go it solo... I'll be driving from Lincoln so happy to do a stop off Sheff or Notts if that's of any help to anyone!

Danielle

Michael Ryan 13 Oct 2011
Best of luck Shauna.

A great event.

Some background reading:

4 part series: Climb Like a Girl

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=107

ALSO, anyone like to volunteer to write, Climb Like A Girl: Episode 5: Subject: Women Climbers and Mountaineers in the UK
 mux 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Richard Hession:
>
> I think you have taken this event totally out of context.
>
> It's obviously aimed at helping people from all backgrounds try and improve their climbing and not solely for the elite.
>
> I can't belive you have started your own seperate thread to spout more negativity against something which will likely benefit many of those who attend. Unbelievable.

What he Said ^

Again the Hanger taking it a step further to benifit the climbing community.

Nice one Coxsey ..oh and well done for Ratho.

Ann Davis 30 Oct 2011
In reply to Richard Hession:
>
> I think you have taken this event totally out of context.
>
> It's obviously aimed at helping people from all backgrounds try and improve their climbing and not solely for the elite.
>
> I can't belive you have started your own seperate thread to spout more negativity against something which will likely benefit many of those who attend. Unbelievable.

the concept is great... however the imagery and some of the content is patronising and I`m entitled to my opinion, and out of my `negativity` a new forum asking punters what they would like in the next symposium has sprung so it got a lot of people talking and no doubt many will attend this and future ones.
 gill 03 Nov 2011
hey guys (sorry, ladies)

interesting idea. women shouldn't have to feel like they need to live up to pre-conceived ideals. as women's climbing symposium speaker alex puccio demonstrates perfectly here:

youtube.com/watch?v=2e3uXNOuHp4&

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...