UKC

camping mattress

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AdCo82 02 Oct 2011
Please recommend me a camping mat good for a 6ft3 male that is warm for winter wild camps and at altitude and also provides comfort.

Looked at so many different models and some have bad reports for bubbling and deflating quickly.

Would really appreciate some advice.

Cheers,

AT
 howiebartrip 02 Oct 2011
In reply to An Triubhas: I really rate the Exped Down range - slightly heavy but very warm. They also do a large version which is 6'5". I tend to use the DownMat 7 in winter. If car camping or if weight is not an issue I combine it with a ThermaRest ridgerest to protect the Exped and make things super toasty.

Had mine for two years and it gets used for about 30 nights a year and have had no problems. Would suggest the stuff bag pump they sell though - built in pump takes a while to get it inflated!
 howiebartrip 02 Oct 2011
In reply to howiebartrip: Forgot to mention - highest I have used this is about 3700m and I had no problem with maintaining pressure.
OP AdCo82 02 Oct 2011
In reply to howiebartrip:

A little bit on the pricey side.

Any other ideas????
 ablackett 02 Oct 2011
In reply to An Triubhas: Alpkit Dirtbag is good, about 1kg, but thick and warm. I punctured mine when I used it outside, couldn't fix it so bought a new one. Lovely.
 sargy 02 Oct 2011
I got fed up with leaking/delaminating/puncturing self-inflators a few years ago, and I've since been using a Thermarest Ridgerest. Won't go pop if you stand on it with crampons, or melt when sleeping to close to a fire (both have happened to me) and is much warmer in proper baltic conditions in my experience.
 artif 02 Oct 2011
In reply to An Triubhas: I've just got an exped xl7, after using many other inflatable/non inflatable mats. Total bliss to sleep on, long enough and more importantly wide enough that I don't have my arms hanging off the sides.
I sleep on it at least 4 nights a week as I work away from home.
Pack size is smaller and seems lighter than the other inflatable mats I have used.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...