UKC

Jetboil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 esoteric 03 Oct 2011
Looking to get a jetboil stove for alpipne/ big walling, which is the better stove, the original jetboil PCS or the newer flash version? Any ideas?

Anyone used the hanging kit, or made their own?
In reply to esoteric:

The hanging kit isn't very good. Make your own. It will cost you less and work better. I think there is something on Andy Kirkpatrick's site somewhere that will show you how to make a better one.

Get the Flash. It has a fold out flame adjusters, which the normal one doesn't. It makes it easier to turn the flame down/off when the Jetboil invariably overflows.
ice.solo 03 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric:

agreed, get the flash. the turner knob on the old version is difficult, and the heat sensitive thing on the side is actually really useful.
even newer is a lighter 1 person titanium version, and a bigger sumo version.
ive been using the sumo of late and it will replace a reactor for me. not as powerful, but as it clips together im sold for alpine.

agree, the hanging kit isnt great.
i just attached some thin cable direct to the base (so can take the pot off separately) but often see people attaching cable to the pot itself with a metal band. whatever works i suppose.
 balmybaldwin 03 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric:

Out of interest oh jet boil users, how does it deal with cold/altitude? have always been convinced that gas canister based burners struggle (after experiences with the pocket rocket) does jetboil have a pre-heat ring or something?
 Harry Ellis 03 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric: The new Jetboil Sol and Sol TI have a regulator to maintain gas flow at low temps

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Cooking-Equipment/Gas-Stoves/JETBOIL-...
cling2 03 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric:

PCS, now on third replacement igniter. Both previous ones broke without any maltreatment - biro type spring in sealed plastic housing failed - distributors tell me its very rare of course. Don't know much about the flash other than the ceramic igniter tower has been redesigned to make it less prone to being damaged by knocks. Cannot recommend PCS despite lots of use. Lesson learned a stove is only as strong as its weakest point.
cling2 03 Oct 2011
In reply to cling2:

In cold, yes it uses more gas but the conduction ring is very efficient.
 london_huddy 03 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric: as a good alternative at a good price (no longer needed), if you'd like an MSR Reactor http://www.facewest.co.uk/MSR-Reactor-Stove.html for £50 then let me know.

Great stove, even more efficient that a jetfoil and better at low temperatures - comment here
http://maceachain.blogspot.com/2010/08/msr-reactor-gear-test.html
 Nigel Modern 03 Oct 2011
In reply to cling2: '...distributors tell me its very rare of course...'

My friend's one broke too...not so rare then
 AndyC 03 Oct 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to esoteric)
>
> Out of interest oh jet boil users, how does it deal with cold/altitude? have always been convinced that gas canister based burners struggle (after experiences with the pocket rocket) does jetboil have a pre-heat ring or something?

No preheat ring or anything. Have used mine (original type) at over 7000m and minus 15 degC and it worked OK once it was lit. However the spark from the ignitor wouldn't light the gas, had to resort to matches. 500m lower and 20 degrees warmer and it works like a dream. Wouldn't be without it.

nedmoran 03 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric: Trail magazine are giving them (flash) away if you sign up for a years subscription. Looks like a bargain.
ice.solo 04 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric:

at low temps they suffer just like a reactor. spluttering a bit and sometimes a bit of a has build up before ignition resulting in a 'foom!' that takes getting used to.
ive used one consistantly at -15 and whilst nowhere as eficient as a liquid stove, its manageable if you have 2 canisters to swap out and a bit of foam to sit it on.

reactor is a bit more efficient, but jetboil is still efficient enough that you can place your hands around the burner section safely.

never had a problem with the igniter, which actually surprises me. i always carry a backup regardless.
 Cobbler 04 Oct 2011
In reply to nedmoran:

great offer BUT:

Gift only available to the first 400 subscribers. We reserve the right to
replace the gift with one of equal or higher value... ...or a 3 issue
extension if stocks are exhausted.
nedmoran 04 Oct 2011
In reply to Cobbler: More than likely be the 3 extra issues.
 ezzpbee 05 Oct 2011
In reply to esoteric: Jetboil Flash is a brilliant stove, best bit of kit bought for ages, look around online as they vary from £80 down to about £55
 Ron Walker 05 Oct 2011
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Both the Jetboil and Pocket Rocket work well at around 4,000 metres as long as it's not too cold and you keep the gas warm. If it's really cold just keep the gas in your sleeping bag!
The one problem you'll find at altitude is that the piezo igniter won't work on the Jetboil or indeed any type of electronic peizo lighter on the Pocket Rocket. Take several flint lighters each rather than the disposable electronic.
Out of interest we found that the emergency sealed matches normally supplied in Rat Packs didn't work either which was a new one to us!!!
I'm not sure exactly at what altitude the piezo's become a problem but it's always amazed me that stove and turbo lighter manufacturers don't actually mention it?

Cheers Ron

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...