UKC

1000 mile socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Newbuild100 03 Oct 2011
As ive been suffering blisters of late, during long mountain walks/scrambling, I thought id purchase some of these ere 1000 mile sock thingys.
I am astonished to find out that there are several different "varieties" of the darn things (sorry for the pun)

Whats the general views/opinions of UKH re which ones to go for ???

Thanks all
 frankbabs 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100:

Smartwool every time for me!!
In reply to Newbuild100: I go for 1000 Mile Original Sock. Any decent running shop will stock a few types.
 gethin_allen 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100: personally I wouldn't bother. I've heard many accounts from family and friends that they are no better than standard socks. When I was working in a shop I had loads of people telling me this, one or two took up their offer regarding their "blister free guarantee".
I always found it difficult to get the creases after they had been worn a couple of times and washed.
The only time I think they may work is for blisters on the soles that are purely due to walking very long distances.
if you really want to try using double socks you could buy some coolmax liners cheaply.
 Offwidth 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100:

If these are the double layer versions I found they clumped really badly at the toes and this was very irritating.
In reply to Newbuild100: In almost 50 years I have never had any real problems with blisters. The one time I did was after a shop assistant told me that modern boots and socks only needed a single sock. As soon as I returned to wearing a liner the problem disappeared.

Al
 Timmd 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100:

Where are you getting the blisters, and what socks are you wearing?

i'm not a boot & sock expert, but it might help people to help.

Cheers
Tim
OP Newbuild100 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Timmd: I have been wearing some double thickness socks and have been getting blisters under my feet along the balls of my toes, if that makes sense (not actually on the toes, but slightly behind them)
Removed User 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Newbuild100)
>
> If these are the double layer versions I found they clumped really badly at the toes and this was very irritating.

Was bought a pair of these as a present. After a few washes it was impossible to get the 2 layers to "sit" properly and always seemed to bunch up at the toes. In the bin.

Personal fave is Smartwool liners with a second pair of suitable thickness socks for the footwear/activity. A cracking wee tip on really long plods is to periodically swap your socks from one foot to the other.
 CurlyStevo 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100: I bought a pair and used them once, that was the last time.
 Gary S 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100:
Tried these and they just gave me blisters.

Have now been using Falke for over 10 years and never had a problem. Falkes also seem to wear extremely well
nedmoran 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100: Whilst in the forces, i always wore 2 pairs of socks with my boots. A thin and a thick pair. This seemed to really help with blisters and hot spots. Nowadays i wear 1 pair and it's always smartwool. Never get any problems with them. On hot days, i always take my boots and socks off when having a break to cool them down. You could also try rubbing your feet with talc before putting your socks on.
 Denni 03 Oct 2011
In reply to Newbuild100:

Sack them. Buy some Injinji toe socks as a thinner liner, then some good fitting walking socks for on top.

I use Smartwool bog standard walking socks with my liners and no probs at all.

And if you need to treat your blisters, good old Forces post tab treatment, scalpel, Tinc benz and something between your teeth!
 CurlyStevo 03 Oct 2011
In reply to nedmoran:
smartwool are definately the best socks I've bought

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...