UKC

NEWS: New Routes and a New Crag in the Lake District

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 05 Oct 2011
Raven Crag in Ennerdale, 3 kbQuality new routes in the Lake District are rare enough at the best of times but whole new crags developed with three cracking routes in the E4 to E7 cataegory are surely a thing of the past? Not so it seems! Acting on a tip off from the man who should know every unclimbed wall in the Lakes, Simon...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64388
 Calder 06 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

So is there scope for more routes there or what?
 Simon Caldwell 06 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:
It's not a new crag, it's in the Pillar guidebook!
Only one route described, but with a suggestion I think that there are other unrecorded lines.
 JM 06 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News: Damn. I 'discovered' this wall a couple of years back and was keen to try the hairline crack up the centre of the wall. I was sure it must have been climbed on before as it is only just above the main forestry track but couldn't find it in any of the guidebooks. I got my mate to ask Dave Birkett whether he knew about it or not. I wish I hadn't now but I guess Dave probably knew about it already. The thought of the walk in (laziness) and bad summer weather meant I never got round to going back!
 Franco Cookson 06 Oct 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Ace. Greame's direct finish to Childhood's end is a right line. Jealous of this find too. Great effort.
 Graeme Read 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Calder:

I would say that the three lines that we climbed were the most obvious challenges. Downhill and right of the main face there is the potential for some highball stuff, one line in particular looks very good, about 8 metres high, but also looks very hard and will need a bit of a clean. About 100 metres behind and uphill of the main wall there is the potential for some good bouldering, quite a bit actually, but it will be one hell of a distance to carry a mat!

The best way (and quickest) to approach Raven is by montain bike from the Bowness Knott car park in Ennerdale. I reckon about an hour from here (about 35/40 mins on the bike then a 20 min slog up the slope to the crag). Its a good 2 hour hike from Buttermere, and probably about the same if not a bit longer on foot from Bowness Knott. You could always stay at one of the youth hostels in the valley which is handy and is what we did on the second visit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...