UKC

I hope he doesn't weight that cam!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayK 07 Oct 2011
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

What a mess...
 escalator 07 Oct 2011

...and no stopper knot on a Fo8, what is he thinking; before he knows it it will be rolling and inverting.
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
Haha

That particular climb had barely any pro. Seriously. :P
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
Oh, and it's a grade 3 scramble with only a single roped section, that didn't really even need to be lead tbh. We did some of the route alipne stlye which was quicker.
 Tom Last 07 Oct 2011
In reply to WetAndCold:

He lives!
 CurlyStevo 07 Oct 2011
In reply to WetAndCold:
can I ask why you italian hitched on to it?
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
I remember it being a clove hitch at the time...
 CurlyStevo 07 Oct 2011
In reply to WetAndCold:
yeah doesn't look like it
 Tom Last 07 Oct 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to WetAndCold)
> yeah doesn't look like it

Easy enough to drop a bend.
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
Indeed, that and an awful amount of slack :P I should take a pic of me next to a decent belay to prove I'm not entirely incompetent
 Franco Cookson 07 Oct 2011

You should all get jobs, or go develop some new climbing. Do something, but definitely do NOT sit on an internet forum chatting about the mistakes made by an evident chump doing a scramble alpine style.

There's a fine line between cutting edge single-push climbing and peadophilia.
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Ummm...whats wrong with practicing different rope techniques?
 Tom Last 07 Oct 2011
>
>
>
>
> There's a fine line between cutting edge single-push climbing and peadophilia.

http://rlv.zcache.com/i_love_peas_heart_t_shirt_hat-p148339551898592569qz14...

???
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 07 Oct 2011

He needs to take a few lesson off this guy:

http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/67368622

Chris
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hehe, looks alright to me, my ropes always look like that

I'll delete this pic in a bit, just let a few more people see it first :P
 Ramblin dave 07 Oct 2011
My best cam placement of late was a dodgy 'head down' size 1.0 friend placed to stop a sling lifting off from behind a shallow horizontal flake. That was an 'I'm glad these are easy moves' moment...
 escalator 07 Oct 2011

Look, it's not an all round perfect set up, so he deserves a bit of banter, it'll probably serve to make him think about everything next time, so no harm done. Okay so the cam is not placed well, used a munter's instead of a clove hitch, the top karabiner is not done up, and it would be best to orientate the lower karabiner with the screwgate down, and his bag is open so something could fall out onto someone, and he isn't wearing a helmet, blah blah. We've all been there; except me of course.

WetAndCold, climb safe, and enjoy.
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2011
In reply to escalator:

> Look, it's not an all round perfect set up, so he deserves a bit of banter, it'll probably serve to make him think about everything next time, so no harm done. Okay so the cam is not placed well, used a munter's instead of a clove hitch, the top karabiner is not done up, and it would be best to orientate the lower karabiner with the screwgate down, and his bag is open so something could fall out onto someone, and he isn't wearing a helmet, blah blah.

lol - I can see you've spent some time studying that photo

to the OP - hopefully you're now well past your novice phase (I see the pic was from many years ago) and, having survived to tell the tale, are a safe(r) climber ... Don't mind Franco; he's just being an arse and should get out of that internet cafe (or wherever he is) and go climbing.
 Yanis Nayu 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Chris Craggs:
> (In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut)
>
> He needs to take a few lesson off this guy:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/chris_craggs/image/67368622
>
>
> Chris

That's brilliant!
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to JonC:

Thanks, the pic isn't actually from 2001! It's from a bit more than a year ago. My second multi pitch ever and yes I've climbed a lot since then and (hopefully) My belays are a bit better now!
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to escalator)
>
> [...]
>
> Don't mind Franco; he's just being an arse and should get out of that internet cafe (or wherever he is) and go climbing.

My house?
andic 07 Oct 2011
In reply to CurlyStevo:
> (In reply to WetAndCold)
> can I ask why you italian hitched on to it?

Obviously he thought a more dynamic knot wouldn't pop the poor cam
 brianblock 07 Oct 2011
In reply to WetAndCold: whats at the bottom of the purple sling?
 escalator 07 Oct 2011
In reply to JonC:

> lol - I can see you've spent some time studying that photo
>

Actually, no I didn't spend a lot of time, I teach climbing and guide for a living, so need to be able to quickly spot when something is not right; especially from a distance. I've been doing it for many years, so I'm getting quite good at it, but not perfect I might add. And of course what I said was only my opinion, and should not necessarily be taken as the correct way.
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to brianblock:

My partner clipped that there while he took the pic before carrying on IIRC
 Jamie B 07 Oct 2011
In reply to brianblock:

> whats at the bottom of the purple sling?

I'm going to guess the photographer?
 John Ww 07 Oct 2011

> There's a fine line between cutting edge single-push climbing and peadophilia.

a) eh?

b) would you like to define "peadophilia" (sic)?

Horse 07 Oct 2011

From the other thread:

"My parents aren't the most supportive of my climbing, they don't stop me, or tell me it's bad or anything. They just worry about my safety sometimes I think."

With some justification given the evidence presented
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2011
> (In reply to JonC)
> [...]
>
> My house?

When you said on another thread you were in Innsbruck I assumed you were travelling. I'm glad you didn't disagree with the rest of my post
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Horse:

Your profile pic is of you with a fag.

I'm safer now when I climb given the evidence presented
 Skyfall 07 Oct 2011
In reply to escalator:

Did you have a sense of humour bypass as part of your training?
 Toerag 07 Oct 2011
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut: was the cam that bad? can't tell from the pic. Messing up the clove hitch on it though - inexcusable. By the way, rather than using clove hitches on the krab at your harness and cross-loading it because the hitches run down the back bar use figure of 8s and it will lie neatly.
In reply to JonC:

Nah, travelling is for open-minded nob heads. And I agree I should go out climbing, but I was out till 6 last night and I'm still buzzing my nut off- hence all the ukc posting.
andic 07 Oct 2011
In reply to Toerag:

The little sneak has removed it now!!

But IIRC the hitch was surplus to requirements precisely because the rope was tied back to a screw gate
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to andic:

Yeah, It shouldn't have been hitched, but just clipped into the crab because it was coming back onto a clove hitch on the crab on my harness. Oooh I have learnt something since then...I still feel bad, no one makes mistakes when they're a newbie
 escalator 07 Oct 2011
In reply to JonC:
>
> Did you have a sense of humour bypass as part of your training?

Nope, no sense of humour failure. Just passing on more info that I thought might be relevant to my previus post, you know what it's like there's always plenty of people on UKC ready to have a go at you for the slightest thing. Viz, WetAndCold, etal.
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to escalator:
there's always plenty of people on UKC ready to have a go at you for the slightest thing. Viz, WetAndCold, etal.

I haven't had a go at anyone :/

escalator 07 Oct 2011
In reply to WetAndCold:

'Not you'. I was pointing out that several people are always keen to have a dig at anyone for anything, just like they did with you. I was using you as an example, not saying you did it.
WetAndCold 07 Oct 2011
In reply to escalator:

Oh I see, yeah, I agree. I think the correct term is 'keyboard warrior' ;D

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...