UKC

Preferred route up Scafell pike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 nightmonkeyuk 10 Oct 2011
The GF wants to do Sca fell so just wondering what folks reccomend as the best way up it? Seathwaite? Wasdale? Eskdale? (Langdale ruled out as too far for her). Wasdale one bored me senseless.
 Darkskys 10 Oct 2011
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: Agree with the above...nice long walk in with some lovely views. From Wasdale its a great walk but it can be a bit too much if she's not done much before. I know my missus wouldn't be happy with it!
 Ramblin dave 10 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys:
Me too!

(I mean, I agree as well, not I wouldn't be happy with it...)
 lowersharpnose 10 Oct 2011
In reply to nightmonkeyuk:

Scafell or Scafell Pike or both?
 Steve John B 10 Oct 2011
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com: I like that one (Borrowdale) but the other way round (up Grains Gill to Great End, over the tops, then down by the Corridor Route).
 Oujmik 10 Oct 2011
In reply to nightmonkeyuk: Seathwaite is a good bet. Wainwright's recommended route is up via Esk Hause (crossing/passing Broad Crag and Ill Crag) then down the Corridor route. I did it last year and it's a great day out, although would have been better without the hill fog...
 Mark Bull 10 Oct 2011

For Scafell Pike alone, I would also go along with Dan's suggestion of the Corridor Route/Great End combination, though I might be inclined to do it in reverse on the "get most of the uphill done early" and "save the best peak 'til last" principles!

For the Pike and Scafell together, Eskdale via Pen would be my choice.
 Simon Caldwell 10 Oct 2011
My favourite is by Eskdale. If that's too far, then Wasdale via Piers Gill (not the gill itself, that's Severe, but by the slopes overlooking it).
 Green Porridge 10 Oct 2011

I'd follow exactly Dan's suggestion, except that I might skip out the last little "ticking" of great end, unless it's something important to you both. I've done it at least three times in the direction he suggests, and loved it each time. It's a pretty big day out, but a great one with some stunning views - pick a day with good weather and you won't be disappointed.

Tim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...