UKC

Is indoor climbing bad for you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
kdr001 11 Oct 2011
Has any research been done into whether breathing in all the chalk-dust and other particles is harmful? Should we all don surgical masks when indoors?
 And Climb 11 Oct 2011
In reply to kdr001: Chalk's more or less chemically neutral aka all those fumes you breath in when you're walking about in a city are worse.
 marsbar 11 Oct 2011
In reply to kdr001: We are all going to die!!!! Won't somebody think of the children!!!!
 Hibachi 12 Oct 2011
In reply to kdr001: I've heard that it is a laxative but never been sure if it's true.
 john arran 12 Oct 2011
In reply to Hibachi:
> (In reply to kdr001) I've heard that it is a laxative but never been sure if it's true.

In the early '80s the word was that there was genuine concern expressed by the Sheffield health authorities at the sudden massive increase in sales of 'light magnesium carbonate', which at the time was only sold in chemists for the treatment (apparently taken orally) of constipation. Until someone cottoned onto the fact that climbers had discovered its sweat-absorbing benefits! It wasn't until a year or two later that climbing shops started selling it.

Phill Mitch 12 Oct 2011
In reply to kdr001:If your worried just don't go, that will leave it less busy for everyone that's not worried.
 Pagan 12 Oct 2011
In reply to And Climb:

Asbestos is 'more or less chemically neutral' but that won't do you a lot of good if you breathe enough of it in.

Don't think I'd worry too much about chalk though.
ice.solo 12 Oct 2011
In reply to kdr001:

i go barefoot between climbs and constantly kick my toes walking about with my eyes fixated on the girls in hot pants and tight t-shirts that insist on climbing near me.

but its a hazard i can accept.
 geordiepie 13 Oct 2011
In reply to kdr001:

I'd imagine the car fumes on the way there are worse

tprebs 13 Oct 2011
In reply to ice.solo:
Where do you climb?! Not many girls wearing hot pants and tight t-shirts at crags in Northern Ireland...
kdr001 13 Oct 2011
In reply to Phill Mitch:

Not worried, just curious, but thanks for the constructive response.
In reply to tprebs:
> Where do you climb?!

FYI it was fairly totty-tastic and Awesome walls Stockport on Tuesday evening
 Ava Adore 13 Oct 2011
In reply to kdr001:

Yes, definitely. You must always wear a surgical mask when climbing indoors.
 foxjerk 13 Oct 2011
In reply to ice.solo: i was climbing at a wall once and a guy was wearing lycra cycling shorts. it wasn't a pretty sight and the guy didn't even ride there, he drove. still makes be chuckle and cringe at the same time
 rallymania 13 Oct 2011
In reply to foxjerk:
proper cycling shorts?
with a padded bit?

really bad idea!
i did that once (in my defence i did cycle there and i was wearing a pair of trousers over the top of them) and well the pad allows your gentleman bits to spread out... not good when you're lowering off.... or falling.

oooooooouch!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...