UKC

Should I put my degree on job applications?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kemics 11 Oct 2011
I'm currently applying for jobs to work temp for a few months. Looking at labouring/driving jobs.

Should a put my humanities degree on my applications? On the one hand it shows I have a work ethic, good time management etc.

But on the other hand doesn't really fit me into the conceived mould of 'site labourer' etc.
Removed User 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics:
> >
> On the one hand it shows I have a work ethic, good time management etc.
>
>

Your degree must have been really special.
dan 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics: No I wouldn`t. Having worked on site for many years as a joiner and site foreman, a degree in humanities would say exactly the opposite of what I would be looking for in an operative.(dont take offence)
 Yanis Nayu 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics:
> I'm currently applying for jobs to work temp for a few months. Looking at labouring/driving jobs.
>
> Should a put my humanities degree on my applications? On the one hand it shows I am a tax dodging ponce.
>
> But on the other hand doesn't really fit me into the conceived mould of 'site labourer' etc.

Fixed that for you
 Bulls Crack 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserKemics)
> [...]
>
> Your degree must have been really special.

lol as they say
OP Kemics 11 Oct 2011
In reply to dan:
> (In reply to Kemics) No I wouldn`t. Having worked on site for many years as a joiner and site foreman, a degree in humanities would say exactly the opposite of what I would be looking for in an operative.(dont take offence)

yeah, I guess it's as I figured. The only reason I wanted to leave it on is so I don't have lots of gaps in my work history as I only worked part-time at uni.

I've worked as farm hand, site labourer and done an apprenticeship as a woodworker. In all these environments i had to keep my degree on the low down. Or at least down play it.

It's a very bizarre British preoccupation I think. In Europe (or at least Germany/Finland) I met people in physical working environments with Phd's and also day labourers with no qualifications who were extremely intelligent/articulate.

Yet somehow in England will still cling to something along the lines of class that means anyone who wants to study is a mincing fairy and anyone who wants to do physical work has to be a thug.

andic 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics:

I have done exactly the same in your situation. But it is hard to then listen to blokes bragging about their grand-daughters going to uni, and you are by omission telling a big fat lie about yourself. I found it quite hard actually.

I was trucking for DHL mainly and I don't think it would have mattered as it is quite an isolated job and through an agency anyway. on a site might be different
 Yanis Nayu 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics: Remember not to shut the door when you go for a shit.
 Paul Hy 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics: If you've got the degree go for a job that requires it and let someone else go for those types of jobs who really needs it.
OP Kemics 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Paul Hyland:

but diggin oles for £6 an hour is so much fun!

Ideally I'd love to do a graduate job and get the salary for it too, but at the moment it's hard getting any jobs and I've got to pay the rent so I'll happily take anything that's going
 gethin_allen 11 Oct 2011
In reply to Paul Hyland:
> (In reply to Kemics) If you've got the degree go for a job that requires it and let someone else go for those types of jobs who really needs it.

So, (having read the addendum before it was deleted) why do you feel so strongly that the OP shouldn't go for a job that doesn't require the application of his degree?

I worked as a glazier and a barman when I had a degree in genetics, and then after finishing my PhD I worked in a outdoors shop for 6 months before I got a job doing what I wanted to do.

I had clear intentions of what I wanted to be doing but it takes a while to get a good job and I needed the cash.
Should I have stayed home on JSA so that some uneducated person could have a job? is the impact of education limited purely to the specifics of the course? Is there no chance that I was able to complete my job more successfully thanks to my education?
And the most important question of all; isn't it a free job market?
 EeeByGum 12 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics:

> Yet somehow in England will still cling to something along the lines of class that means anyone who wants to study is a mincing fairy and anyone who wants to do physical work has to be a thug.

Indeed, and anyone who is good at or shows some positive attitude towards maths is some kind of social retard.
 Simmy 12 Oct 2011
In reply to Kemics:

Probably more useful would be do you have a CSCS card if not I doubt you will get any labouring work.
violentViolet 12 Oct 2011
In reply to Paul Hyland:
> (In reply to Kemics) If you've got the degree go for a job that requires it and let someone else go for those types of jobs who really needs it.

How do you know how much Kemics needs a job? Or how much opportunities there are currently around for someone with a humanities degree? Why should it disqualify him from doing something else not to do with his prior qualifications?
Do you also think the old should make space for the young/women should stay at home not to take away jobs from men/and not forget those immigrants who steal jobs.

Anyone should be in their rights to apply for any job they want to do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...