UKC

Alpkit Gamma LED? Anygood

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Darkskys 17 Oct 2011
Has anyone used these before...the feedback on their website looks like its a cracking head-torch but I was after a more independent view
 Big Steve 17 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys: very good, unbeatable value
 AlH 17 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys: Agree... use them a lot summer and winter. Not the most robust (i'm on my third in 5 years of hard use and abuse) but excellent valuable and do a good job.
Al
 Stone Muppet 17 Oct 2011
I got one, and later on got another 2, so now have one for climbing rucsac, one for biking rucsac, one for van.

Plus: very bright, comparable to torches three times the price. They also seem comparable to other torches I've had in terms of durability... I've had my oldest one 2-3 years now and haven't broken it yet. I broke a black diamond torch after about 4 years use, and a petzl zoom after 2. Take note that this constitutes an anecdote, not data.

Minus: green and flashing red lights. What on earth were they thinking? Did they get ridiculously drunk and say to themselves, hey, yeah, we need flashing red and green lights on our climbing headtorches? And a useless red flasher on the back which is a nice concept but still too dim to be a useful cycling rear light. Or maybe some cheap factory China is boshing out generic 'fun torch' circuit boards with all these features and they bought a truckload on discount. Either way, I have the uncanny feeling that resources that should have been spent on making a better torch got spent on useless tat.

Bottom line: If it breaks, you can get 2 more before you've spent as much as any other torch costs. So long as the lack of light doesn't kill you... so don't take them caving, but I've used them in the alps.
OP Darkskys 17 Oct 2011
Nice one guys...I've ordered one as a back-up to my Petzl and will have to give it a good run for it's money when it comes! Hopefully before weekend
Removed User 17 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys: excellent value for money.have had one about 4 years now. had a problem with the clip of battery cover last year and alpkit sent me a new part free of charge and free post. top marks from me.
 jezb1 17 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys: Possibly their best bit of kit?

Just got back from work where I was doing some night nav using the torch. Use it a lot with no problems for the last couple of years.
 Radioactiveman 17 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys:

Very impressed with mine only problem I have had is adjusting on the go is a bit of a faff and the strap popped off and was a mild struggle to reattach it. Once adjusted its fine though. Really good vfm
 Tallie 18 Oct 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet:

The red light (which can be set to be on constantly ie not flashing) is useful if you want light but don't want to completly screw up your night vision eg you're doing night nav on a moon lit night and want to check the map; similiarly the green light can be used to see red contour lines which wouldn't be visible under the red light, although I find the green is too bright so cover it with a piece of green electrical tape to dim it.

I find the rear light gives me a (probably completely unjustified) sense of safety when staggering back to the campsite from the pub via a dark country lane.

To the OP: They're not perfect (changing batteries with cold hands or in gloves is a pain) but for the money they're very good.
 Stone Muppet 18 Oct 2011
I appreciate a red led can be useful if you don't want to destroy night vision, and yes they won't show up contour lines, but if you need that you might as well switch back to white as I don't imagine green will save your night vision in the same way..?

Personally I use white for night navigation, never noticed an appreciable benefit from sticking to red (probably it's too bright like you say for the green).
 Tallie 18 Oct 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Think you're probably right in that whilst red is best any colour light (including white) won't damage your night vision if dim enough - something to do with cones and rods I seem to recall.

Given I can't see another use for it (as you point out earlier) I tend to leave my green LED permanently covered with tape reducing it to a suitable level of dimness.

Never had any snags with the red LED although I do tend to have the torch in my hand and the LED partly covered with a finger. You have to do this so you can cover the white LED which comes on first as you cycle through the lights which is another minor annoyance; ultimately I suspect it depends on how anal you are (very in my case) about retaining night vision.
 Glyno 18 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys:

Alpkit recommend you don't use Lithium or rechargeable batteries in the Gamma, which in my opinion, is the only niggle.
nedmoran 18 Oct 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet: As they come in 4 colours, 2 of which are cammo and dessert cam. I'd say the red and green led's are geared toward the military, where white light is discouraged.
 LRB 18 Oct 2011
In reply to Darkskys:

Cracking head torch, put it next to my mate's Petzl, which was three times the price and the difference in brightness was neglible.

Alpkit's customer service is also second to none, wouldn't hesitate to recommend their kit to anyone.
OP Darkskys 21 Oct 2011
Just got this...on first look, it looks superb, I'm going to give it a try one night next to my Petzl Tikka XP 2 and see how they compare!

Thanks for everyone's comments!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...