UKC

Giggleswick Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Peate 18 Oct 2011
The owners of Giggleswick Quarry, Settle, North Yorkshire are aware that some areas of the quarry have now been bolted and climbed on. Local activists requested permission to climb here in 2009, but this was refused. The quarry owners still do not wish for the site to be used for climbing and are planning to have the bolts removed. Anybody caught climbing there will be asked to leave.
 Joint 19 Oct 2011
In reply to John Peate:

Earlier this year when access to Foredale and Blue Scar became an issue the majority of people who expressed an opinion on these forums were in favour of trying to convince the landowners that climbers were considerate and respectful towards landowners. The actions of the people who put up these routes without permission in a private quarry will have not helped this cause one little bit!
 PontiusPirate 19 Oct 2011
In reply to John Peate:

John - how have you come across this information?

Have you informed the relevant access rep?

You can email me through these forums if necessary - I can pass on the relevant information without compromising anonymity of your source(s).

It's worth noting that the previous thread on this subject was pulled.

PP.
OP John Peate 20 Oct 2011
In reply to PontiusPirate: I know this because I work for Hanson who own the quarry and was involved in the initial discussions with Dave Musgrove back in February 2009, when access was denied. The Company's view has not changed and does not want climbing to take place in the quarry.
The climbers who have bolted the routes know that access is not permitted and are trying to keep the information quiet.
Fellow Yorkshire climbers informed me that it was now being climbed on.
 Joint 20 Oct 2011
In reply to PontiusPirate:
> (In reply to John Peate)
>
> Have you informed the relevant access rep?

Do you mean BMC yorkshire limestone access rep?
>
> You can email me through these forums if necessary - I can pass on the relevant information without compromising anonymity of your source(s).

Who are you going to pass the relevant information on to? Which sources?

PontiusPirate 20 Oct 2011
In reply to Joint:

Firstly, John - thanks for that information.

Secondly, 'Joint', yes the Yorkshire are limestone access rep is the person I'd forward the relevant information too.

Cheers,

James.
 Joint 20 Oct 2011
In reply to PontiusPirate:

Is Dave Musgove the Yorks limestone access rep?

If so he has all the relevant info. He was at the meeting when climbing was refused as John Peate has sateted and I mentioned in my original post that was 'pulled'. He also knows about the routes because he has been in the quarry recently.
OP John Peate 21 Oct 2011
In reply to John Peate: The company is in the process of trying to contact Dave Musgrove, however, he already knows that it is being climbed on against the Company's wishes.
 PontiusPirate 22 Oct 2011
In reply to John Peate:

He's out of the country at the moment, but this information has been forwarded to him and Rob Dyer (BMC access officer).

PP
 victorclimber 22 Oct 2011
In reply to John Peate: have to ask why ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...