UKC

OMM psyche

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Roberttaylor 22 Oct 2011
Who else is doing the OMM this year? It looks to be superb with a decent weather forecast and nice hilly terrain.

I am also pretty excited at the prospect of a free t-shirt for travelling there using public transport.

Robert
 Padraig 22 Oct 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor:

NOT doing it (family wedding!) but am insanely jealous as it's a FANTASTIC area for a MM. Good luck & I hope weather is good.
 Simon Caldwell 22 Oct 2011
Far too soon for a reliable weather forecast, I predict windy and rain.

We worked out that using public transport would cost us enough extra to buy 5 T shirts each so we're driving
 nniff 22 Oct 2011
the latest OMM newsletter says

Event Weather Forecast:
Saturday 29th October: Temp: 8/9 °c. Rain with some cloud and sunshine. Wind speed 20/28mph.
Sunday 30th October: Temp: 8/9 °c. Rain with cloud. Wind speed 28/30 mph.

which is a bit of a boo-hoo.

Me, I'm still glad to be going - partner pulled out a week ago, but new partner found. Hoping my knee will hold out though.

xcweather.co.uk is the site to watch for a forecast. Bit early yet though.
 Simon Caldwell 22 Oct 2011
In reply to nniff:

http://mwis.org.uk/sh.php
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

The latter currently rings a few wind-related alarm bells, but it's still 4 days or so too early to start panicking
 nniff 22 Oct 2011
In reply to Toreador:

Ooh! I didn't know that MWIS covered that part of the world (I've always been focussed on areas further North).

It might be a bit weatherish - and favour the fine navigators rather than the whippets perhaps.
 nniff 22 Oct 2011
In reply to Toreador:

http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Comrie looks variable and a bit chilly....
 evilweed 25 Oct 2011
In reply to nniff:

Looks windy!

Getting very excited now - how are your kit lists different from last year, Dartmoor felt a bit tame, definitely taking more warm clothing this year and my new super light Marmot Essence water proof....

Arranged a lift share through the OMM forum, need to buy super noodles!
 london_huddy 25 Oct 2011

Weather's looking sporting!

I've a nervous feeling that the training I've not been doing will not be offset by lovely light kit...

Anyone got any tips for the new C course? It's our first MM and we thought a linear course wouldn't be interesting enough to take our minds off the misery

Simon Caldwell 25 Oct 2011
In reply to evilweed:
From current forecasts, won't take any more warm clothing than normal (looks quite mild). May take a larger tent - we've got an early start Saturday and a late start Sunday so will be cooped up in it for a loooong time! Might even take a pack of cards
 Conf#2 25 Oct 2011
In reply to nniff:

See - my knee is pretty messed up at the mo and I have been thinking about how I will get it to last the weekend. I was planning on just getting a knee support and hoping that does the job (It's usually ok mostly so long as I don't go near a road)
Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks!
 evilweed 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Toreador:

Good point, looks like the main problem is going to be high winds - not the cold I had been imagining.

We've got the opposite, late start on Sat and an early one on Sunday. Main problem for us will be hoping that there are some good camping spots left by the time we get there!
 Simon Caldwell 25 Oct 2011
In reply to confusicating:
I did a few events with a messed up knee - neoprene support and walking poles got me through. But I did manage to make my injury worse by doing so.
 evilweed 25 Oct 2011
In reply to hindu:

If it's your first MM I'd recommend don't worry to much about pace, just keep moving.

Don't follow the others - they could be on different courses/screwed up the nav. Double check every navigation, getting the nav right (and having done it yourself rather than followed the herd) is the most important thing.
 nniff 25 Oct 2011

I'm probably taking something toasty - mostly in case the weather gets the better of the tent, but I'm also a wuss when it comes to shivering.

As far as my knee goes - either a savage elastic knee support or a milder double/triple/quadruple tubigrip - haven't decided yet. THe former digs in and may cause more problems than it solves.
 london_huddy 25 Oct 2011
In reply to evilweed:

Cheers. The one thing we are relatively confident about is the nav.

Current big decision is whether to put the windproof in...the synthetic gillet is now in the 'cold weather' pile too.

Current bag weight is 7kg with food and water: not sure how I can trim it down without getting into the food pile...
peakyg 25 Oct 2011
In reply to hindu: Did C class last year, but doing D this year due to it being partners first time. C class was great. On first day last year, we took a less popular route, but headed straight for a nice long track which made route-finding and running easy. Think we made up quite a bit of time that way. Spent about 15 minutes on the way to first check-point going over lots of different options though. Route choice on 2nd day was more obvious - a long track (which it seemed about 90% of people took) or a shorter but steep down and up. The C class was definitely good fun - just enjoy it!
Etak 25 Oct 2011
In reply to hindu: ditch the water - or carry no more than 500ml - with each MM i do i carry less and less water - particularly this time of year (though 7kg not to bad)
 Heike 25 Oct 2011

Well,it's only 20 minutes from where I live, so it would be rude not to! Weather looking very OMMish if somewhat warm!
 Heike 25 Oct 2011
In reply to hindu:

Hmm, you sure about that? I have never had more then five before. But hey, if you are strong you can carry it I guess.

Conf#2 25 Oct 2011
In reply to hindu:

I've not started this sort of thing yet... need to get my act together. =-S
 Ali 25 Oct 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor: On the short score with my little sis, who I suspect will kick my butt on the hills despite claiming she has hardly done any training...

Hindu - Have you got some of those bag-weighing scales? If so can you bring them on fri? I have no idea what my pack weighs but test weight the other week felt rather heavy...think I may have to ditch some of the power bars and re-think sleeping bag option!

Not loving the windy forecast - though on the positive, at least my bag will weigh me down...
 london_huddy 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Ali:

I just weighted everything individually on kitchen scale and then added it up: that way I could could see what was heavy and where I could trim weight a bit.

On e water front - I'm aiming for carry 750ml max, have just got the one bottle.
I think I've too much food and having given up the silk liner and taken the knife to my bag and a few other its of kit, I'm now down to 6kg.

Major cause of weight is food (energy bars, gels and nuts) alongside a warm-ish sleeping bag. If I can trim that down a bit and if it's going to be warm enough to have a fleece and windproof alone as my warm kit, then I can ditch the synthetic Gillet and get to the holy weight of 5ish kg,

All eyes on the weather now!

On the C Class stuff - is it just a matter of "hit x of the y checkpoints"?
 ablackett 26 Oct 2011

> On e water front - I'm aiming for carry 750ml max,

Don't carry that much, but do drink a lot. Just scoop up 500ml as you cross a river and neck it. Nothing worse than carrying 750ml up a hill then down the other side then stopping to have a drink by the river then filling up again!

Perhaps set off with it full and when you look at the map if it looks like there is a few river crossings ditch the water and carry an empty bottle.

>
> On the C Class stuff - is it just a matter of "hit x of the y checkpoints"?

Reading the website it looks like it will be mostly a linear course with one or two options of take this one or this one - probably one longer and one more climbing. I am doing the long score which is a long way in my book, but looking forward to it.
 Simon Caldwell 26 Oct 2011
In reply to ablackett:
I drink a lot before I start, then an hour or so in fill a 750ml water bottle and add a Nuun tablet. After I've drunk this, I just drink from streams (except in very dry weather when I refill the bottle whenever I get to a stream - not a problem this weekend!).

That latest from MWIS mentions 80mph winds on Saturday...
 AlasdairM 26 Oct 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor: Good luck everyone on this. Never done an MM, but I know the Comrie area very well.

All this talk of water reminded me that the tap water there is the nicest I've ever tasted, and the streams are all fine. Just watch for dead sheep as per usual.
peakyg 26 Oct 2011
In reply to hindu: On the C-class stuff - yes. Last year, if memory serves me, on day 1 there was a section where you had to do I think 6 out of 10 check-points, so it was more a case of looking which ones to miss. Then on the 2nd day I think it was 4 out of 5 which wasn't as much fun. Then you re-join a line for the last few checkpoints. Of course, they may have evolved the concept for this year...
 london_huddy 26 Oct 2011
In reply to peakyg:
Thanks! Having looked at last year's maps, they make sense now!
 Richie Rich 27 Oct 2011
The weather looks like it may play a larger than usual factor, with high winds (hang on to your map) rain and poor visibility.

Looking forward to it and hoping my nav skills haven't slipped after what seems to have been loads of MMs in good weather.

Rich
Gorrilla 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Richie Rich:
> (In reply to Roberttaylor)
> The weather looks like it may play a larger than usual factor, with high winds (hang on to your map) rain and poor visibility.
>
> Looking forward to it and hoping my nav skills haven't slipped after what seems to have been loads of MMs in good weather.
>
> Rich

Don;t worry you can always follow the 3000 other people
 Richie Rich 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Gorilla:
I'm hoping that the poor visibility will mean more map and compass navigating than the usual follow the hordes (to the wrong checkpoint).
Although given the high winds the valleys may be crowded.
 Ali 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor: What counts as emergency rations??!
 llamaglama 27 Oct 2011

Utterly psyched but not looking prepared at all. 6am start tomorrow to get to Edinburgh and then pack when I'm there and buy all the stuff I don't have! GAH!!!
OP Roberttaylor 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Ali: OMM says that the equivalent of a chocolate bar is fine but that teams should have food for 36 hours anyway. All info along these lines is in the pack they send out.

I got some freeze dried goodness today....chilli con carne had the highest calories to weight ratio.

R
 Ali 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor: Cheers - missed the chocolate bar bit. Have plenty of food for the 36hrs though!
 Conf#2 27 Oct 2011

I'm gonna be busy tomorrow! Can we have the Omm song please Rob?
 Tim Sparrow 27 Oct 2011
In reply to Roberttaylor: Disaster has struck. I have lost the little gold plated safety pin that came with my balloon bed. How will I pop the remaining 2 balloons that are inevitably still inflated in the morning? Please help!
Other essential kit is a wide mouthed Lucozade bottle or similar. Saves getting out of the tent at night but filling it lying down in a very cramped tent always proves a real challenge.
In reply to confusicating: I have lost it Backing track is available for download online though and the lyrics are available in one of the old journals. Feel free.
In reply to Tim Sparrow: Don't. Save them for extra buoyancy while crossing streams, or to amuse your partner by making balloon animals in the morning as you wait to start.

nniff 28 Oct 2011
In reply to Tim Sparrow:
> (In reply to Roberttaylor) Disaster has struck. I have lost the little gold plated safety pin that came with my balloon bed. How will I pop the remaining 2 balloons that are inevitably still inflated in the morning?

Just have a squabble with Phil. The sharp tongues should do it.
 london_huddy 28 Oct 2011
In reply to Tim Sparrow:

Use the mandatory pin you've got with your triangular bandage?!

Conf#2 28 Oct 2011

I think I'm going to shave off my eyebrows to save weight.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...