UKC

Why is alpkit so cheap?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Auty 23 Oct 2011
Why are alpkit products so cheap in comparison to other climbing makes. What do they sacrifice(Quality maybe)?
 Harry Ellis 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Alex Auty: Shops, distributors, jobs for folk.

I've generally found their quality to be good - far beyond what you'd expect given the price, good service too.
 pebbles 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Alex Auty: the equipment is actually made by small, sulphurous smelling imps. they have no trade union, hence manufacturing costs are extremely low. However there is a catch: each item of equipment includes in the small print a clause pledging the buyers soul to the devil.
 thin bob 23 Oct 2011
In reply to pebbles: In the tiny, tiny print, it actually says 'Tam Dayell'

Alpkit don't have shops or range rovers or massive advertising budgets or delusions of grandeur. They care about their stuff!! Give it a go, you'll be pleasantly surprised
 TheAvenger 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Alex Auty:

Because other 'normal' brands sell an item for, lets say £10, to a distributor, who then sells it for £20 to a shop, who then sells it for £40 to you.

Alpkit sells it straight to you for £20, so everyone's a winner.
Frogger 23 Oct 2011
In reply to Alex Auty:

I've bought from Alpkit. Excellent quality, excellent customer service.
 Ramblin dave 23 Oct 2011
In reply to TheAvenger: In other words, it's like buying the kit at trade prices.

The basic drawback being that you can't go and try it on. Their customer service seems to be excellent, so I'm sure you'd have no trouble sending back something that didn't fit, but it's still more faff than just going to your Local Outdoors Shop and just trying stuff on...
 Harry Ellis 23 Oct 2011
In reply to TheAvenger: Everyone except people who work further down the chain!
But hey shops they're over-rated right?
will you miss 'em when they're gone?
 EddInaBox 23 Oct 2011
In reply to thegoatstroker:

... and don't forget the poor tax man, he only gets £4 of that £20 instead of the £8 he would get if it was sold in a shop!
 Martin W 24 Oct 2011
In reply to EddInaBox:
> (In reply to thegoatstroker)
>
> ... and don't forget the poor tax man, he only gets £4 of that £20

£3.67
 Oceanrower 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Martin W: £3.33 unless I'm much mistaken.
 remus Global Crag Moderator 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Oceanrower: Dont forget all the tax on alpkit's side, will hike up the total considerably.
 Oceanrower 24 Oct 2011
In reply to remus: Yes. Sorry, I was just correcting the previous VAT calculation.
In reply to Alex Auty:
It's arguable that they don't innovate hence no R&D costs to add on. Bit like early Japanese car industry.

Interesting that their new tents which are I understand a ground up design are as costly as other manufacturers.
ice.solo 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Alex Auty:

cos they dont have to sponsor conrad ankers (fantasic) enless trips to the himalayas, nor pay fancy lawyers to hunt down manufacturers of fake stuff in china.
 thin bob 24 Oct 2011
In reply to brt: I know what you mean...though ice axes and rucksacks have been around for ages, alpkit's figfour and gourdon waterproof packs, I'd say they were pretty much 'ground-up' design.
In reply to thin bob:

The Gourdon is a copy of roll down tackle bags used by paddlers for quite some time. I have one by Palm that must be 15 years old. Good bag though.

Don't know what the other thing you mention is.

Lack of sponsored heros is a good point too.

I think their kit is good; though I know at least six running friends who have consigned the torch to back up now (which I think is flawed logic) as they have had issues.

No experience but I'd doubt their titanium kit or sleeping bags are not worth a punt.
 Timmd 24 Oct 2011
> (In reply to TheAvenger) Everyone except people who work further down the chain!
> But hey shops they're over-rated right?
> will you miss 'em when they're gone?

That's kind of my take on Alpkit, advice from people who you can stand and chat to is often handy if you're unsure, things can pop up in conversations which mightn't over email.
In reply to Alex Auty: I've got an Alpkit down jacket and it was half the price of similar products on the market. The stitching is a bit wonky in places but nothing major, nobody else I know with gear from them has had a problem. They are really friendly on the phone and I did find some free sweets in the box one time.

I get the impression they are doing it because they enjoy it and want to make things cheaper for everyone so don't add the bit profit margins that other companies to.

The only problem I've ever have with Alpkit is that the gear I want is often out of stock.
 deepsoup 24 Oct 2011
In reply to brt:
> It's arguable that they don't innovate hence no R&D costs to add on. Bit like early Japanese car industry.
>
> Interesting that their new tents which are I understand a ground up design are as costly as other manufacturers.

I think you're exactly wrong about that.
Take the Gamma for example: I've never seen another head torch with a battery box like that (nor one with a red LED on the back come to think of it). And the Jeanius 'waterproof' denim jeans, has anyone else done that? Seems pretty innovative to me.

Conversely, I don't think the tents are particularly innovative.
Most of Alpkit's stuff is distinctly 'no frills' - I think the thing about the tents is that they've gone for higher quality and less compromise than they usually do.
 frankbabs 24 Oct 2011
In reply to brt:

Their sleeping bags are fine; I used SH1000 at EBC last year without any problems!!!
 Kenny Stocker 24 Oct 2011
In reply to brt: Hi brt, it is true we had a lot of development on the tents but I think the prices are still pretty competitive if you compare them with tents with like for like specs. What models are you comparing them with?
 Timmd 24 Oct 2011
In reply to alpkid:

It might be that they don't seem as good value as other Alpkit gear, rather than they seem expensive?

I guess your smallest tent, the two man geodesic tent, doesn't seem better value than Vango's two men geodesic, with prices being about the same, where as your other gear undercuts the competition quite well.

Cheers
Tim
 dan ely 24 Oct 2011
from my experience there good but they do make budget items
 Kenny Stocker 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Timmd: hi Tim, I guess you are looking at something like the £300 Hurricane 200? That has a lot of polyester in it, and weighs in at a kilo heavier than the Kangri. I stand by my point that if you start comparing like for like fabrics, construction techniques and poles you will get a clearer picture. Look at a TNF 2 man geodesic like a mountain 25 and that is £560.. the problem is that there are so many discounted top of the line tents available.
 mp3ferret 24 Oct 2011
In reply to Timmd:

I think the tents seem really good value - I wouldn't compare the 2 man mountain tent with a Vango though - I think its much more comparable to the TN quasar (as in a near exact copy - no bad thing) - which makes it seem much better value.

But I'm a big alpkit fan.

Timmd 24 Oct 2011
In reply to mp3ferret:

I bought a head torch from them, and i'm not an un-fan of Alpkit, more i've just had nice experiences in my local outdoor shops and think friendly people work there, so it seems like a nice thing to support them if I can.

If they were horrible people i'd maybe buy Alpkit gear to spite them. ()
 Timmd 24 Oct 2011
In reply to alpkid:
> (In reply to Timmd) hi Tim, I guess you are looking at something like the £300 Hurricane 200? That has a lot of polyester in it, and weighs in at a kilo heavier than the Kangri. I stand by my point that if you start comparing like for like fabrics, construction techniques and poles you will get a clearer picture. Look at a TNF 2 man geodesic like a mountain 25 and that is £560.. the problem is that there are so many discounted top of the line tents available.

Your post makes sense, I was thinking of the Hurricane 200 and didn't realise it was a kilo heavier. I suppose the combination of similar priced lesser quality tents and discounted higher quality tents makes Alpkit's tents seem less good value than they actually are.
Alpnick 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alex Auty:

Reviews are starting to come in on some of the tents, hopefully over the next few weeks as more get published you'll get a better idea of the design that went into the tents.

http://www.petesy.co.uk/

Cheers

Nick
 Redsetter 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alex Auty: I wish there were more gear suppliers/manufacturers like ALPKIT, they care about the customers, value the feedback and the prices are sensible.

I certainly wouldnt pay a huge sum for a duvet (FILO) jacket that is gonna have a hard life..

The boulder pads (PHUD) have taken years of abuse from me and the rocks, after all, the price is right for a product that is eventually gonna be trashed through use !!!

Keep going alpkit your doing englands climbers proud !
 PeterM 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alex Auty:

I'd maybe look at it as why are others so expensive?
Alpnick 11 Nov 2011
In reply to PeterM:

Not sure how to take that?

Nick
 PeterM 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alpnick:
> (In reply to PeterM)
>
> Not sure how to take that?
>
> Nick

Certainly not as a criticism..
DaveBear 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alex Auty:

Just re. one of the comments above, the Cree headtorches with rechargeable batteries have had a red light on the back of the battery holder since they first appeared.
Alpnick 11 Nov 2011
In reply to PeterM:

Phew! good to hear.

Nick

Stone Muppet 11 Nov 2011
In reply to EddInaBox:
> (In reply to thegoatstroker)
>
> ... and don't forget the poor tax man, he only gets £4 of that £20 instead of the £8 he would get if it was sold in a shop!

So Alpkit still do sponsor climbers to some extent. You can ask him the exact amount when he gets back from the Himalayas.
 mutt 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Redsetter:

> I certainly wouldnt pay a huge sum for a duvet (FILO) jacket that is gonna have a hard life..
>

> Keep going alpkit your doing englands climbers proud !

I guess my only reservation is that alpkit aren't really doing the UK's manufacturers much good. Its not a philosophical point I'm making, rather its that I see great value in being local to the source of manufacture. I have been using my Rab down sleeping bag now for almost 20 years. Its only lasted that long because of the Rab have been able to renew and refill it. I can't see Alpkit offering that service any time soon whilst (and I'm guessing here) they manufacture their kit in china. Rab quality has also played its part because I would have replaced my bag ages ago if it hadn't been conceived well and created with excellent quality.

So this time I wont be buying my down jacket from Alpkit because it'll probably only be good for a couple of seasons. I'll be going for a UK manufactured (hopefully Rab) product.
 Stone Muppet 11 Nov 2011
I hear you, local manufacturing is laudable and we should all be doing it like that.

But Rab make their kit in the far east these days too.
 Stone Muppet 11 Nov 2011
As to local gear shops, I like my local shop, particularly for stuff you need to try on - so you won't find me buying rock shoes, harnesses and clothing over the internet.

As to other gear though I don't feel the need to pay over the odds so will buy online if cheaper - on the flip side it's probably better for a local business to concentrate on what it does best, ie things that people don't like to buy on the net, there are plenty of those around.

Saying all this my local shop does sell online anyway...
Alpnick 11 Nov 2011
In reply to mutt:

I think it's great that your committed to buying UK "made" products, but worth researching which of the products a company actually make in the UK.

At the moment all our Socks are made in the UK and in the next few weeks our UK made boulder mats should be coming of the production line.

Also worth talking to people that have returned products to us for repair and service, as I like to think we have a good reputation for keeping our products going.

We have nearly all of the machines, knowledge and experience to mend most bits of kit. Strangely we have had our first tent back for service today (got eaten by squirrels) so we need to replace some nylon webbing to get it back on the hill.

Cheers

Nick

JR 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Stone Muppet:

Not all of it...
 Jack Whiteley 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alpnick:
> (got eaten by squirrels)

haha, brightened up my afternoon!
 mutt 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alpnick:

> At the moment all our Socks are made in the UK and in the next few weeks our UK made boulder mats should be coming of the production line.

rest assured I will always buy uk made socks. we do obviously have the best stream driven mills anywhere in the world up there in lancashire, at least we did last time I bought knee lengths to go with my plus 4's.
 Null 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Jack Whiteley:

My tent got eaten by wild boars in Abruzzo!
 Arty 11 Nov 2011
In reply to Alex Auty:
I have had to return a Gamma torch and received a replacement immediately.
I have broken another but it was the battery case and my fault really so thought it unreasonable to ask for another. The battery case is a weak point in robustness compared to more expensive brands but the customer service has been good.
I reckon i know of 4 that have failed/ broken but others have been used far beyond their design spec and work well.

Someone mentioned tents, above, i thought that these are full normal price.

Dear Alpkit any chance of making the airchannel support tents more financially accessible?
 alasdair19 11 Nov 2011
In reply to mutt: there is very little outdoor clothing still made in the UK, the Rab sold to equip and retired. the manufacturing then all went abroad. I believe the 3 remaining UK clothing manufacturers is Montane, buffalo and phd.

abr1966 11 Nov 2011
> (In reply to Alex Auty) Shops, distributors, jobs for folk.
>
>
> I've generally found their quality to be good - far beyond what you'd expect given the price, good service too.

Agreed!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...