UKC

Blencathra Hall's Fell, footwear advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mikehike 25 Oct 2011
Hi im considering heading up Blencathra via Hall's Fell route.
I suspect the terrain will be similar to Sharp Edge which I've also not been up, but read enough over the years to treat it with respect.

My main concern is footwear. So far my only excursions onto Lakes rock has been on damp days where the lack of friction grip from my Lighter Hiking Boots has made very cautious.

Ive a selection of footwear but not sure what is best.
Scarpa ZG (Light Hike Boot)
Scarpa SL B1 (Heavy Hike Boot)

I intend not to take harness or rope and be carrying a light pack so ankle support is not a concern. Are 'Approach Shoes' suitable?

Also if the route/rock is wet would it be considered foolish to proceed?
I intend going on a dry day in the next week or so.

mikehike
 birdie num num 25 Oct 2011
In reply to mikehike:
Halls fell is a steep broad ridge. I would personally have no problem in light hike boots.
 Steve John B 25 Oct 2011
In reply to mikehike: I've been up it in the p*ssing rain in a pair of very feeble Meindl boots. It's not slippy like Sharp Edge. Approach shoes or the ZG's would be fine. (I'm a right coward too btw)
andyathome 25 Oct 2011
In reply to mikehike:
You can avoid nearly all rock on the way up Halls Fell Ridge - scramble grade is largely given for a determination to be on the crest all the way. Nowhere near Sharp Edge technicality. You'd probably have no problems in approach shoes and wet won't significantly affect the route (wind might).
OP mikehike 25 Oct 2011
In reply to andyathome:

Thank you all for the advice.
I will plump for the ZG's

mh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...