UKC

THE LOWDOWN: Dreams of youth in Madagascar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The guys, 4 kbIn August this year, four young Germans, Martin Schindele, Lukas Binder, Philipp Hofmann and Tobias Baur, made the first ascent of Dreams of youth on the 700m Tsaranoro Atsimo, in the in Tsaranoro Valley, Madagascar.
11 of the 18 pitches are 8a or harder, and with three 8b+'s and one 8c, it very...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64860
 Tophe 06 Nov 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: at the end it say's it's 7b, A1+ ?
 butterworthtom 06 Nov 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC:
No. At the end of the day, it's 8c. Why post stuff like that, it's just stupid.
 Tophe 06 Nov 2011
In reply to Björn Pohl - UKC: WOW! what a douche, I just wanted to know why it say's 7b, it's obviously there for a reason.
 Franco Cookson 07 Nov 2011
In reply to iamchris:

That is very odd. Perhaps it was the grade before they freed it? Although it showed them placing bolts, so unless they took a different line it can't be... Most odd.
 AJM 07 Nov 2011
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Gives would be repeaters an idea of the obligatoire grade, if nothing else. Suggests that the cruxes are all very well geared...
 Pete O'Donovan 07 Nov 2011
In reply to AJM:

Dave Hesleden and I were climbing in Tsaranoro at the same time as Martin, Phillip, Lukas and Toby put up 'Dreams of Youth'. I actually jumared their fixed ropes on one of my 'rest' days to take some shots.

It's an amazing line, but it turned out to be way harder than they had been expecting and, as it stands, it's currently more of a project rather than a route, open to anyone who fancies their chances on 8th grade granite.

The smoothness of the rock made sky-hook placements all but impossible on the harder sections, making bolting from top steps (of etriers) the only alternative.

This means that at the moment it's almost over protected, and could probably be climbed as an out and out aid route (apart from the lower pitches — up to 7b).

Pete.
In reply to Pete O'Donovan:

I you saying that it hasn't all been climbed then?

It hasn't been climbed free, by a long, long way.

Pete.

O, ok. Slightly misleading article then... Great effort all the same, looks like they had fun!

They certainly had plenty of laughs, and also gave plenty to almost everyone they met along the way. A good time was had by all.

Incidentally, the 'easy' slabby section lower down the route has just two or three bolts per pitch and (as with many routes in Tsaranoro) it's a case of 6b going on E5!

Pete.

haha, I can imagine. It looks like a superb route and at 18 pitches, fairly big. I'm interested how they came up with the pitch grades if they didn't free it, or did they make attempts to?
 Mr Powly 07 Nov 2011

Dear Franco,
How dare you hijack this thread with your ego?
Yrs,
Powly
 ali k 07 Nov 2011

Sounds like you had a great trip - cheers for making more sense of the news article! Should be up your way in the next few weeks if you're around? Have mailed you re: Cogullons too.
Philipp Hofmann 08 Nov 2011

about the grades...the 7b/A1+ is the obligatory grade and the way we did it when we put up the route. About the other grades...we made attempts in 8 of the 11 hard pitches and we climbed all the pitches up to 8a+ free but not redpoint! In the other pitches we've tried we couldn't do 1 or 2 moves or even more and that's why we proposed something harder than 8a+. If you have a look at the original topo http://kletterszene.com/news/madagaskar-expedition-2011-bericht-exklusiv-vi...
you can see that all the grades are just proposals and with a question mark!

Philipp Hofmann 08 Nov 2011
and thanks Pete for setting things straight
 Franco Cookson 08 Nov 2011
In reply to Philipp Hofmann:

Thanks for clearing that up, it was quite confusing. It's great that you've made a ready-bolted monster route for someone to free.

Schaut echt Geil aus!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...