UKC

Snow socks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Todgerman 09 Nov 2011
Its that time of the year again to be thinking of getting prepared for when when the roads are covered in snow and ice to make sure I can still get to the crags. What experience does anyone have of snow socks over the tyres, and in particular is there any brand which seems to work better or be more durable than others.
I have chains but they are such a faff to get on and off and winter tyres are too costly, socks would appear to provide a cost effective and easier to install solution 'if they work' !!
Cheers for any input.
 CragRat11 09 Nov 2011
In reply to Todgerman: I used snow socks last year and was amazed. I could and did get pretty much anywhere.

One thing to note though, masses of grip on the front and standard tyres on the back makes you spin very easily. Which can be fun at times. They are difficult to drive with, any braking at speed on a corner and you will spin 180. Very easy to get on and off, cheap and good when you get used to them.
ColtCham 09 Nov 2011
In reply to CragRat11:

Totally agree , Ive used snowsocks for the past 2 winters in alps and they have been great , sometimes couldnt believe the roads I was managing to get up in a little pug 206 with these things on.

On another note I have also got snow tyres , obviously dependant on the size of your wheels some of them are very nicely priced on mytyres.co.uk and postage is free. I dont have the top of the range ones or the super budget ones and from what I remember mine were 40 quid a tyre and have been great , think they are marangoni.
In reply to Todgerman:

Our local ASDA were selling them for about £35.

Mrs Rubberfeet bought 2 pairs yesterday, one for each of our cars.

Not seen the quality yet, but at that price I'm guessing worth a look.

Mark Morris 09 Nov 2011
In reply to Todgerman: Got some for both cars last year. My wife found some use for them, managing to use them when she got stuck on local journeys after the "downfall" that happened heavily just before xmas (S. Wales). I was able to get out on a just replaced normal set of new tyres, to drive up to Scotland.

The temperature was -15 at night all week there, but very little snowfall (in moffat), but the roads were all compacted snow. I got around alright but I learnt to drive years ago when the weather was normally this bad and I enjoy driving on the stuff carefully.

I arrived at a farm to get the duck and turkey the year before last up a road that the farmer had said was closed for 3 days. It wasn't a motorway, but careful driving in a front wheel drive 2L 140ps diesel I found it easy enough.

Driving out the gritted track they had been using was terrifying however, in a way that I felt out of control way.

My guess is that they are great for getting home in an emergency. But I think getting used to driving on/in snow and ice is even better. We have just not got used to driving in these conditions.

On the other hand, I've bought winter tyres this year, so expect the mildest winter in years!
 Sharp 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Mark Morris: Did the same as you last year Mark and did alright on new standard tyres, I think having skinny wheels on my car helped though more than winter driving skills (although plenty people certainly lacked that last year). there were people struggling up hills on compacted snow in fancy cars (low profile alloys, thick wheels, traction control etc.) when my Almera cruised up, I imagine it had more to do with their tyres than my skill! Although it was quite satisfying all the same. Having got a new car this year I've done the same and bought winter tyres though.

Ben
Todgerman 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Todgerman:
Thanks all for your input, will def. look at some of the cheaper winter tyre options but think I will give the socks a go this year.
 CragRat11 10 Nov 2011
In reply to Todgerman: Another thing, you must take the snow socks off when the snow thins out, which can be a pain. Especially if you will join another snowy road in a couple of miles.

With winter tyres so cheap, I would be tempted to buy 4 and leave them on until spring comes around. Less hassle.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...