UKC

NEWS: Free Sandwiches and Chips at Wilton Quarry!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Nov 2011
The relief of latching the top hold!! What a run out!!, 4 kbClimbers are teaming up with the Bolton Conservation Volunteers (BCV) on Sunday 20th November to remove rhododendron from the crag and quarry floor of Wilton 1, the popular gritstone quarry in Lancashire.

The British Mountaineering Council owns Wilton 1 and manages it for the benefit...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=64952
 ROFFER 11 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News:

Those concerned are probably already aware of this but a suitably qualified person should treat the cut stumps with herbicide after to kill them off. If not, you will be back again in a few years!
SLB 16 Nov 2011
 Lankyman 21 Nov 2011
In reply to UKC News: it was great to see so many folks make the effort and turn up on Sunday. I must admit I had my doubts when I only saw a handful first thing down at car park. Eventually, the troops arrived through the mist from all directions and three huge bonfires were soon blazing. Did anyone take a head count - it looked like around 40 - 50 including the Bolton Conservation Volunteers (who provided many of the tools also) and climbers. It was a bit like a First World War battlefield - smoke, mist, mud, shouting and the screams of those below as another tree came flying out of the murk! Happily, no-one got badly hurt or fell into a bonfire. A lot of rhodies bit the dust but there is still a lot to do. John Stringfellow told me that Cotswold Outdoor picked up the tab for the post-match chips and sandwiches in the Wilton Arms - much appreciated! It was great to see a co-operative effort between conservationists and climbers to tackle a mutual problem. If you weren't there and use the place then seriously consider coming along next time. Big jobs like this that seem overwhelming at first can be tackled with enough people. Apologies to anyone I dropped a tree on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...