UKC

Anybody got an Alpkit Filo down jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 15 Nov 2011
I'd very much appreciate some first-hand reviews of Alpkit's Filo down jacket please.

Cheers
 Exile 15 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

The draw cord pulled out on mine, nothing three minutes with a needle and thread didn't sort though. Otherwise brilliant.
 tony 15 Nov 2011
In reply to Exile:

I had an early one and the draw cord was a bit scrawny on mine. As you say, an easy fix. Other than that, it's lovely.

The fit is quite neat, so you might want to think about going a size up from your usual size. Alpkit's customer service is superb, so if you do get the size wrong, I'm sure an exchange won't be hard to arrange.
 franksnb 15 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming: I've had and abused one for 2 and a bit years.

its warm, good for belays. to hot for climbing(unless your really cold), as you would expect.

the face fabric is okay, not particularly water repellent (after 2 years) but robust rip-stop stuff. its difficult to repair rips with needle and thread, mines got a bit of duct tape here and there (don't wear it while bouldering). it can be stained with grease, no surprises there then.

zips are still fine after a lot of use. good size not fiddly. never snags.

i dont like the hood because it makes me look stupid(er). but i will wear it when its properly baltic.

big pockets. fluffy bit round the neck, which is nice.

i've been caught out in the rain many times, its still fine with no special treatment whatsoever. i would alway take a shell if i was going walking climbing to go over the top. when its soaked its not warm at all as you would expect.

I have worn it in winter over my shell in heavy snow. which worked fine. if it was really wet stuff i think i would have rearranged layers.

it adds a season to a sleeping bag when layed ontop of your torso (imo).

it doesn't pack very easily but i nearly always take it in winter.

the toggles are broken on the waist, they could be repair i suppose.

the best thing about it is that you don't need to be as precious with it compared to a £300 job.

if you haven't had a down jacket before you are in for a treat. the warmth is a really dry warmth, probably because the coat is breathable and is made predominantly from natural fibres(feathers!).

Fraser 15 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

I’ve had my Mk. 1 Filo for more years than I can remember but it must be at least 5-6 years old now, if not more. It’s still as puffy as when new, but doesn’t have the hood which the new ones have (detatchable). It’s never been washed and never had a drenching when outdoors so is still in very good condition despite lots of use at the crag and around town. The only thing I’ve had a slight issue with is the drawstring, which has started to disintegrate with use – it’s become over-stretched and “bobbled”, as I like to have it quite tight to keep out draughts, but it still does the job fine. The outer pockets are good and insulated, although not micro-fleece lined. Unlike the old ones, the new ones don’t have the Velcro cuffs, which I quite like. It packs down very small and most of the time I stuff it in my rucksack if I’m cragging so it gets a fair bit of abuse. The soft collar part has now become a bit ‘polished’ from neck-rubbing over the years, but is still effective. The main zip baffle is very good and keeps out the draughts. Sizing-wise: I have a medium and am 6’ with slim build. It fits snug, which is how I like it.

The only thing missing from the Mk. 1 is a hood and, being a slap-head, this is the only reason I’ve just ordered one of their latest ones, which I should take delivery of in the coming weeks. (got a call just yesterday from Alpkit to sort pre-payment details.)

As many others have said, their service is second to none, as is the Filo’s value for money. You really can not go wrong.

(PS to whoever said it was essentially "breathable", I'm not sure I'd agree - the inner and outer 'shells' aren't manmade; it is a dry heat generated, but I reckon you'd steam up after not much activity!)
OP The Lemming 15 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks for the reviews, which have been most helpful.

I spoke to a chap at Alpkit and got advice on their sizing. With Alpkit's advice and some comments on here, I think I have chosen the correct size.

Can't go wrong for those prices, can you.

I have been thinking of replacing my 14 year old Mountain Equipment jacket for a few years now. Nothing wrong with it, I just felt like a change, but I was buggered if I was going to fork out hundreds of pounds from some of the 'big boy' brands.

Cheers
 Fraser 15 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

By his own admission, my friend's chunky Rab down jacket isn't as warm as my Filo. You made the right choice!
OP The Lemming 15 Nov 2011
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> By his own admission, my friend's chunky Rab down jacket isn't as warm as my Filo. You made the right choice!

Funny you mention this but when I bought my Mountain Equipment jacket I was concerned at how little fill there was in the arms. As there was so little fill in the arms, I sent the jacket away to an independent company to inject 200gms of down into the arms.

I saw my first Alpkit down jacket last week while playing at the Roaches and was impressed with the loft of the jacket.
 SecretSquirrel 16 Nov 2011
A very timely thread, exactly the question i wanted answered! Nice to hear such positive reviews, I reckon i'll get one ordered. :0)
 abr1966 16 Nov 2011
In reply to Exile:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> The draw cord pulled out on mine, nothing three minutes with a needle and thread didn't sort though. Otherwise brilliant.

that happened to mine also....
 G0WEN5Y 16 Nov 2011
Had mine 2 years .........4 washes its great
OP The Lemming 26 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:
Well, I'm sat at home wearing my new Alpkit jacket, and what do I think of it?

I can only compare it against my 14 year old Mountain Equipment jacket but here goes.

Putting aside the fact that my ME jacket is 14 years old and has lost insulation over that time, my new Alpkit jacket is Feking awesome!

The design and build of the Alpkit jacket, in my opinion is better designed and constructed with a better baffling system to ensure that the down does not migrate within the body of the jacket, creating fewer cold spots.

When I bought my ME jacket in 1997 I had to send it away to an independent company to add extra insulation to the arms. Even the independent company agreed that the fill was pitifully low but ME were happy with the product, at the time. I also had to buy a hood. Alpkit give this as standard.

So, far typing this small, yet subjective review, I can say that the loft in all the baffles exceeds all my expectations.

The design and cut of the garment also fit better, which is quite impressive when you consider the fact that I purchased the garment blind over the internet.

And most important of all my ME jacket cost £120 + £50 for extra insulation in 1997.

My Alpkit jacket cost £95 in 2011.

Sadly I am now going to have to take my jacket off as I am boiling and dinner's on the table.

Thank you to all those wonderful people at Alpkit.
 Fraser 26 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

Nice one! I knew you would see the light in the end. Apparently mine is in the post and it should hopefully arrive at work on Monday. Can't wait.
In reply to The Lemming: Hi
Thinking of getting one in large, how's the sizing say compared to m.e or Rab kit? How's ur 1st impressions of the warmth, down loft and the face fabric you think it'll hold up for winter climbing? Can't argue for £95 sheets be great for ur feedback as I've never used Alpkit
 crustypunkuk 26 Nov 2011
In reply to Billy Walker:
I got mine today, and i am VERY impressed with it! Super warm, well made and at a great price. Obviously time will tell how resilient it is, but if it works and lasts as well as other alpkit stuff i've bought i'll be more than happy.
In reply to crustypunkuk: Thanks for the info meant to ask if it comes with a stuff sac?
Just ordered it anyway can't argue for £95 Enjoy
 Max factor 27 Nov 2011
In reply to G0WEN5Y: #

2 years, 4 washes. get you!

err, mine's black so it doesn't show the dirt???
OP The Lemming 27 Nov 2011
In reply to Billy Walker:

The Alpkit Large, is comparable in size with the ME medium jacket that I own.

My first impressions of warmth are that I'm very confident. This is because all the baffles have a good loft. Looks like no scrimping on fill, to cut corners and increase costs.

As for fabric selection, I think that Alpkit have struck a good balance on functionality and durability. Saying that, I know not to get it wet and the jacket is just about to go outside for its first walk round the local park. This baby, just like my last jacket won't be rubbing shoulders with anything abrasive such as rock. Its to keep me warm while walking or sitting still while on the hill.

The jacket DOES NOT come with a stuff sac, but neither did the ME jacket and I would not have expected one either.

The hood is a nice touch but I don't think that I will ever need it, only because I bought one for my last jacket and never used that one.

Either the large Outdoor clothing manufacturers are producing jackets and forcing retailers to use over inflater retail prices, or Alpkit have dropped the ball and have seriously under-priced their jackets and are using this product as a lost leader, in the same way supermarkets do just to get people into their shops. I don't think Alpkit would be that silly.
In reply to The Lemming: Looking forward to trying it out, I've always used Arcteryx Rab & Mammut kit fed up paying over inflated prices for very little extra.Alpkit Gear has always interested me however never taken the plunge until now think they should be applauded for not ripping of their punters!! If the Jkt turns out to be a good buy I'll take the plunge on one of their winter sbags, Defo gonna buy their Gamma head torch £12.50 f@ck me
OP The Lemming 27 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

OK, just had my first little trip out in my jacket. First off, we're not talking winter conditions but rather a windy day at the beach. The temp was 10 Celsius with 23 MPH wind, very breasy

I only wore a tee-shirt under the jacket and I was only in the wind for half an hour because Little Miss Lemming got cold and wanted to turn back.

Women!

First impression of the jacket is that I miss the external flap over the zip. This may be a small point but its one that I miss and I felt the effects of. There is an internal flap behind the main zip, to block the effects of the wind whistling through the zip and hitting the torso. While walking into the wind I could feel a very, very small change in temperature along the zip. However I was only wearing a light cotton tee-shirt in a Force 5 breeze. With a thermal, rather than a flimsy tee-shirt, and a fleece under the jacket I doubt that I will ever notice the effects of strong headwinds.

The flap itself, is insulated with a good layer of down and re-enforced with nylon webbing down the length of it which I presume is to protect it from snagging against the zip. I did manage to snag the flap a couple of times while doing the zip up however this wasn't too much of a problem.

The jacket itself was light and very warm throughout and the pockets were snuggly warm and deep.

If I had to criticise the jacket, then it would have to be the omission of an external storm flap along the zip.

Everything else was spot-on, especially the collar which was high against my neck and the back which covered my arse and kept my kidneys toasty warm. Most important of all, the jacket kept out the wind completely.
 Fraser 30 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

Hmm, ok, time to put a slight damper on things I'm afraid. I've now had my new jacket for a couple of days and have to say there is definitely not as much loft in the fill as in my original Mk. 1 version. I'd waited a while before posting this as I thought it may have been due to the prolonged period of compression while in transit, but after 2 days, I'd have thought that was long enough to regain "full loft".

What I do like is the two-way main zip, which the mk. 1 didn't have. What I don't like is lack of micro-fleece inner collar and velcro cuffs which were on the originals. (For my spindly wrists, there is still a slight gap around the elasticated cuff - not good at all!) The inner pocket doesn't seem quite as deep now but the hood is a huge improvement. I've not tried it in outdoor conditions yet, but I hope the reduced fill isn't a noticeable issue. Value for money wise though, it's still a very good deal. I'm just slightly disappointed at the change in spec. in several key areas.
 Doghouse 30 Nov 2011
In reply to Fraser:

I've just received mine and overall am impressed, however a couple of points.

With the hood up and the cords pulled tight the cords stand vertically right in front of my face. The only way to get them out of the way is to tuck them inside the collar but then that's really uncomfortable. Not sure if my experience is unique but definately a design flaw in my book.

Also, seems a bit short in the body to me but that could just be down to sizing
 Fraser 30 Nov 2011
In reply to Doghouse:

Hadn't really noticed an issue with the hood draws, but I think they can be pulled downwards and locked - will try tonight.

I checked the sizing on my 'mediums' and the new one is slightly longer than the mk.1 The latest one has 6 horizontal panels from waist up to the shoulder seam, whereas the old ones only had the 5. I think I prefer the slightly longer body.
M0nkey 30 Nov 2011
In reply to Fraser:

Maybe don't give up on it just yet. My Nuptse came mail order and took ages (weeks if not months) to reach it's best loft. Initially it was worse than my cheap old columbia duck down jacket.

My unscientific guess is something to do with the body heat encouraging release of oils or something which makes the down more polarised and loft better. This is pure hack science though.
royb 30 Nov 2011
In reply to Fraser:
How big are you if you dont mind e asking.
I am going to order one just unsure what size to go for i am 5'11 and slim was thinking of going for a mediem myself.
 Bigedthehead 30 Nov 2011
In reply to royb:

Hi Rob

I got a medium and I'm 5'11" and slim'ish. To be honest I'd prefer a small but this was last years jackets so not sure whether sizing has changed at all.

John Lewis 30 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming: Just got me and the Mrs one each, they are very cool......

No wait, they are very warm

And great defiantly recommend!
 Fraser 30 Nov 2011
In reply to royb:

Same as yourself, pretty much: a fraction under 6', slim, longer of leg than body. I've tried a friend's 'small' and his was just a bit short in the arms for my liking. (Again, his was the old mk. 1 version.) I'll check sleeve length tonight and report back but they felt the same from my first trial.

In reply to M0nkey:

Cheers, that'd be great if it was the case, so fingers crossed. Having said that, my mk.1 lofted pretty much instantaneously, so I'm slightly bewildered by this one not appearing to be the same)
royb 30 Nov 2011
In reply to Fraser: thanks for the info.

probably not as slim as i thought i was any more but i still have long arms.
 jonfun21 30 Nov 2011
In reply to The Lemming: Mine just arrived, and its fantastic. Well made and very warm.

I bough a 5L Airlok XTra stuff sac for it and its fits in nicely though reckon with a bit more stuffing a 4L stuff sac would work
 Fraser 01 Dec 2011
In reply to royb:

Checked arm length last night and they're the same as the original mk. 1 sizing. Ok, but not super long, but I probably have quite long arms too.

Re the hood 'cord adjusters': I have to agree with Doghouse about these, they're really badly positioned when the hood is up, the cords have been adjusted and the chin strap part is closed over. They dig into your chin and I can't see a way round this problem. IMO this is quite a major design fault.
OP The Lemming 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to royb)
>
IMO this is quite a major design fault.
The

You do have a point about the buckles on the hood which I never noticed before. But then the first thing I did when I received my jacket was to remove the hood. To call this a major design flaw is a bit excessive. If you said that the main zip did not work or the baffle stitching unravelled causing the down to migrate around the garment, then yes I would say those were major design flaws. But buckles on a removable hood to be considered to be major design flaws?

In the 14 years faithful service of my ME jacket I never felt the need for a down hood attached to it.

There is indeed a simple answer to your problems if you are not entirely satisfied with the jacket.

Send the jacket back.

Fraser 01 Dec 2011
In reply to The Lemming:

Yes, you’re right, it’s not a ‘major design flaw’ in the grand scheme of the complete jacket. However I do think it a big flaw in the hood component. I think it was this thread (or possibly another similar) where I stated I was only getting a new Filo for the addition of the hood, as the mk. 1 version I have doesn’t have one. So for me, it’s a ‘major design flaw’. Don’t get me wrong, I still think it’s a great jacket, but if I was expecting a < mk.1 version but with a matching hood >, then I’m afraid this isn’t it, hence my slight disappointment.

I think for buyers who aim to use the hood a reasonable amount of time though, they might have an issue with it too. I’ve not had a hooded jacket before and don’t know if this is a common problem so I’d be interested to hear from folk who have one and use the hood a lot; maybe I’m fretting about nothing.
 Doghouse 01 Dec 2011
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Fraser)
> [...]
> IMO this is quite a major design fault.
> The
>
> You do have a point about the buckles on the hood which I never noticed before. But then the first thing I did when I received my jacket was to remove the hood. To call this a major design flaw is a bit excessive. If you said that the main zip did not work or the baffle stitching unravelled causing the down to migrate around the garment, then yes I would say those were major design flaws. But buckles on a removable hood to be considered to be major design flaws?
>
> In the 14 years faithful service of my ME jacket I never felt the need for a down hood attached to it.
>
> There is indeed a simple answer to your problems if you are not entirely satisfied with the jacket.
>
> Send the jacket back.

Well, that's great for you. You don't need or want a hood on your jacket but regardless of that others (myself included) may, and the jacket does indeed come complete with a hood. It follows therefore that the design of the hood is important and in this case unfortunately there's a design flaw(the positioning of the cord and cord grips), which is a shame considering overall it's an excellent jacket.

Whether it could be considered a 'major design flaw' is a matter of conjecture but the fact that *you* won't use the hood is irrelevant to whether it's a design flaw or not.
OP The Lemming 01 Dec 2011
In reply to Doghouse:

> Whether it could be considered a 'major design flaw' is a matter of conjecture

I agree.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...